Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How good are the HSD coil overs

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2008, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How good are the HSD coil overs

Anyone has experience with Hsd coilovers (HR) , from otomoto.com.au?
it is for track or autox.

Thanks

SS

Last edited by supersupra; May 28, 2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old May 29, 2008, 01:46 AM
Evolving Member

I have been thinking about getting the HR's for a long time. Because HSD isn't a well known brand I have held off. They certainly look like they cant walk the talk.

I too would like to know how they perform. Get prices considering what you get.
Old May 30, 2008, 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

Is not a well known brand in US, its an Au brand, also for drifting.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 11:32 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I found more information.
these are made by HSD and they have 20 years experience with very good reviews. Made by HD systems and Sold as HSD in Australia and as Driftworks in EU.
Driftworks-
"We’ve tested loads of different coilovers over the past few years and found there to be a big gap in the market between the very expensive competition solutions and poor-performing budget products which may go low and stiff, but give a badly damped, bouncy ride. We’ve spent a long time researching different company’s products and testing them out for ourselves on the road and on track.

What the new Driftworks Control System coilovers represent are the best quality, most durable and robust equipment we have come across, offered at an affordable price. We’ve worked closely with HD System over the past year (they've been making Monotube dampers for over 20 years now), to come up with a product that offers the best possible performance, with the build quality and durability that driving conditions across Europe demand.

Phil Morrison wrote: "I have driven a massive aray of different brands of coilovers over the years. The Driftworks Control System Coilovers are the product of many hours of testing and development. I rank them up there with coilovers costing many many times more. They are the coilover of choice for our new 2008 2JZ GTE Powered S15 Silvia, which has had absolutely no expense spared."

The key word here is compliance, the ability to have a firm, responsive ride, that also soaks up the bumps to give a smooth and predictable driving experience, whether your requirements are for fast road, or full track use."
You can read more here:
http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/pr...coilovers.html

and here:
http://www.newstylemotorsport.com/hdsystem/index.php

Although they have different colors, they are actually the same shocks, by the same company. Good reviews.

Last edited by supersupra; Jun 6, 2008 at 11:42 PM.
Old Jun 16, 2008, 09:58 PM
Evolving Member

I installed them

The car feels awesome, very comfortable and stable.
With the new sway bars, it performed, compared to some cars that had been beating me in autox for the last 2 years, about 3-4 seconds faster.
Highway and rough roads feel very nice.

Last edited by supersupra; Jul 7, 2008 at 11:48 PM.
Old Oct 14, 2008, 10:37 AM

Ive got a set of these for my Mazdaspeed6 and have been sitting on them for over a year becuase of isses with the order. I am still wary of installing them because of the 11 people that bought them only a couple ever installed them and didnt review them good. We bought them thru a GB we set up with Kito Auto sports. They told us these would be perfect, but when we got them the front spring lengths were too short and were basically at coil bind at a stand still and the rear lower pearches had to be modified. Now I have longer springs that should work and modified pearches, but like I said I am still wary. Part of the reason is the rears shocks that are not ajustable in length and I worry that on a rise to a drop my rears could come off the ground unless I drop the car enough, possibly more than I want. Well I dont know if posting here will help but there is a huge thread on this in the mazda6club forum. But anyways I may go ahead and install them and if they dont work for me I will just have to get a set uf BC's
Old Oct 14, 2008, 11:51 PM

i need to check them out
Old Jun 29, 2011, 06:15 PM

Hey guys

I bought my HSD's for my evo from this website, www.tdotperformance.com the shipping was fast and the prices are really good too, and i think they are Canadian. Its a whole new experience driving with these coils! Let me know if anyone else ends up buying them, you wont regret it!
Old Jun 30, 2011, 03:00 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
1. Spring Rates are not ideal
2. Valving - known?
3. Construction quality - look closer to where they are made.
4. Who does the rebuild? / how do they go about it? (just throw parts at it)
5. Drifting is the figure skating of motor sports
Old Jun 30, 2011, 07:03 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Smike
1. Spring Rates are not ideal
2. Valving - known?
3. Construction quality - look closer to where they are made.
4. Who does the rebuild? / how do they go about it? (just throw parts at it)
Seriously... your still on that?

1. Alternative spring rates are available. The default spring rate is for a streetable coilover that holds it's own on the track. Something mentioned multiples times over by people who own the kit.

2. Some manufacturers are open on data, some aren't. Fact of the matter is .... it works. Very well for that matter. I understand your argument. But your assuming that everyone who has driven with this coilover is a complete moron and doesnt have enough skill level to assess of the kit is doing the job, or just barely.

3. Construction quality - The kit is made in Korea... earlier you were certain they were made in Taiwan or China... not to sound like a *****. but 90% of everything today is made in China... thats a given... it all comes down to build quality standards, and a proven track record. When you read the reviews and build a word cloud. The most common thing you will hear about the kit is, its reliable, handles well and consistent. I could buy any coilover over under the sun for my cars I own. But I would buy HSD because I have seen the construction quality... I have seen kits go to hell and back with excessive amounts of abuse. They just dont fail. Not many coilover brands can say... this kit will last you a very long time. And when you live up in in Toronto or Montreal and see what our streets look like. Haha, most kits wouldnt survive the night. Anyways for anyone who wants to know about the kit. Search the UK based form http://www.lancerregister.com/ . There is a wealth of feedback on the coilover from EVO 1 - 9 owners from all walks of EVO life lol

4. Good question on where they get serviced. I know it can be done here in Canada but not sure about USA. I know driftworks has their program set up in the UK and Australia.

5. Its personal preference.... It's a sport I never understood until recently when I became friends with a number of drifters. Its different. But they do it because there is a world for it. Many people thought drifting was a fad.... for years the damn sport keeps growing, I am not even sure if its reached its peak. Up here in Canada and its all the rage in Quebec. http://vimeo.com/19764117 I had the chance to go to some of these events. the crowds it draws is unreal. just unreal.

Last edited by evo_soul; Jun 30, 2011 at 07:09 AM.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 04:58 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah - seriously, you're still full of it.

Joke of an excuse for a vendor - lost in a forum where data and proper engineering rules. You're more than welcome to not post here. You have no idea what you are talking about. And you are just after "cool" parts to make your cars look...special.

Last edited by Smike; Jun 30, 2011 at 05:03 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2011, 06:57 PM
Evolving Member

wow that's alot of anger
Old Jun 30, 2011, 08:47 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Smike
When there's talk of drifting, I always think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InIxK...eature=related

Old Jul 1, 2011, 12:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by therunningskier
wow that's alot of anger
Damn right it is. Sick of hearing this crap.

Originally Posted by FJF
When there's talk of drifting, I always think of this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InIxK...eature=related

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Seriously... your still on that?

1. Alternative spring rates are available. The default spring rate is for a streetable coilover that holds it's own on the track. Something mentioned multiples times over by people who own the kit.

2. Some manufacturers are open on data, some aren't. Fact of the matter is .... it works. Very well for that matter. I understand your argument. But your assuming that everyone who has driven with this coilover is a complete moron and doesnt have enough skill level to assess of the kit is doing the job, or just barely.

3. Construction quality - The kit is made in Korea... earlier you were certain they were made in Taiwan or China... not to sound like a *****. but 90% of everything today is made in China... thats a given... it all comes down to build quality standards, and a proven track record. When you read the reviews and build a word cloud. The most common thing you will hear about the kit is, its reliable, handles well and consistent. I could buy any coilover over under the sun for my cars I own. But I would buy HSD because I have seen the construction quality... I have seen kits go to hell and back with excessive amounts of abuse. They just dont fail. Not many coilover brands can say... this kit will last you a very long time. And when you live up in in Toronto or Montreal and see what our streets look like. Haha, most kits wouldnt survive the night. Anyways for anyone who wants to know about the kit. Search the UK based form http://www.lancerregister.com/ . There is a wealth of feedback on the coilover from EVO 1 - 9 owners from all walks of EVO life lol

4. Good question on where they get serviced. I know it can be done here in Canada but not sure about USA. I know driftworks has their program set up in the UK and Australia.

5. Its personal preference.... It's a sport I never understood until recently when I became friends with a number of drifters. Its different. But they do it because there is a world for it. Many people thought drifting was a fad.... for years the damn sport keeps growing, I am not even sure if its reached its peak. Up here in Canada and its all the rage in Quebec. http://vimeo.com/19764117 I had the chance to go to some of these events. the crowds it draws is unreal. just unreal.
1. Shows they have no clue about the chassis or how its geometry/balance/ratios work.

2. Thats BS - its a cover for a lack of data. No. Fact is - most people on the cheap and low end stuff - has no clue what good is or feels like.

3. That's your argument? Yeah, go read those reviews again. None of them have creditable before/after. None are true race teams or people known within the sport/business. Korea/China/Taiwan - whatever. None of those speak of quality in my book.

4. Like I said - just throw parts at it. See 3.

5. Its. Not. Racing. Its also NOT handling. Its making the car so upset that it goes sideways. They intentionally make the car setup terrible. Its all the rage because the current generation of youth are mainly idiots. Flat billed hats in all.
Old Jul 1, 2011, 01:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
post a real shock dyno and prove us wrong

Quick Reply: How good are the HSD coil overs