Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Lower ball joint removal & install

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by binky
Well...

I can't get the lower control arm off. I have gotten one bolt out (the one more towards the rear of the car) and I have disconnected the sway bar. I CANNOT for the life of me get the front bolt out. I have tried a 1/2" breaker bar with a 24" pipe as an extension. I am literally standing on the extension, I don't want to snap the bolt off inside the sub frame. I have tried PB Blaster and a little heat using some mapp gas, but you can't give it to much heat because the control arm has rubber bushings.

Any ideas??

I am considering just putting everything back together (except for the outer tie rod ends, I can do those myself) and just bringing it to a shop to do the lower ball joints.

-Bink
hmm - the one is tqd to 130+ ft/lbs....I would suggest PB Blast for a day or 2 and then trying. I used my impact and it came off IIRC
Old Oct 16, 2008, 10:53 AM
Evolving Member

Try heating it up and tighten the bolt up a little then try to remove it, at least if it is frozen in there this will break it loose. just DON'T tighten to much you don't want to break that bolt.
Old Oct 16, 2008, 11:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
hmm - the one is tqd to 130+ ft/lbs....I would suggest PB Blast for a day or 2 and then trying. I used my impact and it came off IIRC
I'll give it a try today, I soaked it a few times over the course of a few hours yesterday, maybe the PB Blaster did something....
Hey EvoIXMR, did you go to the car meet last night? Are you from the New England area?

Originally Posted by sk8terdude929
Try heating it up and tighten the bolt up a little then try to remove it, at least if it is frozen in there this will break it loose. just DON'T tighten to much you don't want to break that bolt.
That's not a bad idea, maybe I will try to tighten then loosen it....I am running out of ideas...

I'll let you know how it goes....

Thanks for the advice guys!!

-Bink
Old Oct 16, 2008, 04:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binky
I'll give it a try today, I soaked it a few times over the course of a few hours yesterday, maybe the PB Blaster did something....
Hey EvoIXMR, did you go to the car meet last night? Are you from the New England area?

That's not a bad idea, maybe I will try to tighten then loosen it....I am running out of ideas...

I'll let you know how it goes....

Thanks for the advice guys!!

-Bink
I am in Iowa, sorry
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:30 AM
Evolved Member

o man my ball joint just busted... so im in need of this kit im assuming... because i refuse to pay the ridicolous price of a new control arm just to replace my ball joint
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:41 PM
Account Disabled

Do you have access to an impact gun?
Sometimes you can try tightening the bolt a tiny bit first to break the stiction a bit and then back it off. As long as the bolt head isn't in danger of stripping and the socket is fitting it snugly you could try a longer pipe. The safe bet would be to take it in though.

-Bill@WORKS
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill@WORKS
Do you have access to an impact gun?
Sometimes you can try tightening the bolt a tiny bit first to break the stiction a bit and then back it off. As long as the bolt head isn't in danger of stripping and the socket is fitting it snugly you could try a longer pipe. The safe bet would be to take it in though.

-Bill@WORKS
Hey Bill-

I did get a bigger pipe on and I did manage to break it loose, however, it's weird, the bolt head turns maybe an 1/8th inch but I still can't get it to come out. I stopped working on that part two days ago because I was frustrated. I will give it a shot with the impact tomorrow - its an electric impact though...only 220 FT/LBs.

If that doesn't work, I guess I'll have to cave in and bring it to a mechanic.

Originally Posted by EvoIXMR
I am in Iowa, sorry
Haha, it's all good, I was just wondering!

Thanks!

-Bink
Old Oct 20, 2008, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

I'd be careful. Isnt the nut part of it welded into the body?If that weld breaks loose, it'll be pretty hard to take the nut off...I remember someone to whom it happened to on here...
Old Jun 24, 2016, 05:07 AM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Taken from EvoMoto clutch install step 18.

Is that the bolt you're talking about? I am only bringing back this thread because was searching for a problem I'm having and it's relevant.

I removed the nuts first and now the bolt seems to just spin and not back out.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 12:23 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
The bolt isnt threaded into anything besides the nut. So it wont back out by turning it. Should be able to tap it out with a hammer. Maybe spray a little PB blaster in there to help. Just make sure to clean it all out before reassembly.
Old Jun 25, 2016, 01:07 PM
Evolving Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks. I was thinking that but wanted to make sure before I forced it too much. I hit on it several times with a dead blow hammer and it didn't move. I guess I need more PB Blaster and more force.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 05:03 PM

Did the OP get the ball joint out in the end. If so what part did you replace it with?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
There's a new post to this forum concerning the subframe recall. Shop couldn't remove the control arms either and so the subframe recipient also got two new control arms.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 01:51 AM

thanks

Originally Posted by barneyb
There's a new post to this forum concerning the subframe recall. Shop couldn't remove the control arms either and so the subframe recipient also got two new control arms.
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I am in Ireland driving a 2003 JDM Evo VII GT-A converted to manual so the recall is of no benefit

I think my ball joints are gone and have seen the Whiteline kits so assume the ball joint is removable on the VII as the arms are the same on the 7/8/9.

I'm considering getting this: http://m.ebay.ie/itm/381484745154

Last edited by Se7ve; Jun 24, 2017 at 03:07 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 03:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Yeah, just pointing out that even the Mitsubishi shop finds this job hard. When ball joint time comes for me I'll be look for an on car replacement procedure.
The following users liked this post:
Se7ve (Jun 25, 2017)

Quick Reply: Lower ball joint removal & install