Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Big Brake Kits, Comments on Wilwood, Rotora & KSport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2008, 10:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Big Brake Kits, Comments on Wilwood, Rotora & KSport

I do a lot of track events on road racing courses. Tracks such as Summit Point, Pocono, Watkins Glen, New Jersey Motorsports Park, etc. I'm a upper run group driver and instructor so my pace is fast and hard.

The stock Brembo's on my Evo 8 are not keeping up with my driving and I need more reliability and stopping power. I already have the performance pads and rotors, brake duct cooling kit and SRF fluid.

The first thing that comes to mind is a Big Brake Kit (BBK) but I don't want to spend a fortune.
The kits I've found on the lower end of the price scale are:
Wilwood, Rotora and KSport.

Can anyone with experience comment on these?

Thanks

Last edited by george3; Oct 20, 2008 at 12:11 PM.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 11:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What pads and rotors were you using with your stock calipers? There are a lot of products that will dramatically improve your braking performance using he stock caliper.

You should PM us and see if we can help you out.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

I have used Project Mu 777 (not impressed, lasted one weekend), Pagid Yellow (pretty good), CarboTech XP12's (very good). Rotors used were stock blanks and aftermarket slotted RotorPro's. Braided stainless steel brake lines.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 05:37 PM
Evolving Member

You might want to check with Racing Brake as well, they are located sorta local, NW New Jersey. I've heard great things about their pads, and their front 6-piston kit is comparable in price to the other's 4-piston setups.
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We like the Raybestos ST43 pads. They last a while and are easy on the rotors. Are you overheating your brakes? Some directional vane floating rotors will help cool your brakes down as well as keep from warping and ti shim will save your fluid from boiling. Do you have a duct kit?

Johann @ Girodisc
Old Oct 21, 2008, 08:25 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
edited.

Last edited by GTWORX.com; Oct 21, 2008 at 08:27 PM. Reason: nm
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am a long time user of carbotech XP12s but have heard many good things about the Raybestos ST43 pads.

Where does one find the best deal on the ST43s?
Old Oct 22, 2008, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

this is what I have

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evobrk/stage3.htm

no complaints here
Old Oct 22, 2008, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PsychDr. HN$
this is what I have

http://www.gruppe-s.com/Evo/evobrk/stage3.htm

no complaints here
So, you're saying 2-pc rotors is the way to go?
Old Oct 23, 2008, 06:50 AM
Evolving Member

2 piece rotors are great for track use. They help out largely to prevent warped rotors and remove some unsprung weight.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 09:34 AM

If you are going to be getting a BBK for track duty spend the extra amount and get a really good kit.

AP Racing stuff is pricey but it is by far the lightest kit and it is quality stuff. Just one stock Brembo caliper weighs almost as much as one AP racing 6 pot caliper weighs.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
YES, try 2-piece rotors before you go with a low quality big brake kit like Rotora or K-Sport. You can find great 2 piece rotors from companies like Girodisc, Performance Friction, and Stoptech.

Wilwood is alright, but all the safety wiring of the rotors and calipers kind of scares me.

Please don't go cheap on one of the most important parts of your car, and most important for racing. Spend some money on these. You will get what you pay for. I personally think its the cheap slotted rotors on your car causing you your problems.

Last edited by h22gordo; Oct 23, 2008 at 06:29 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 07:42 AM
Former Sponsor

How much more are you wanting out of your braking system? If your expecting alot more just 2piece rotors may not fix your problem. However, if your close to where you want to be, I would explore that option first paired with a VERY aggressive pad. It all depends on your driving syle and how hard you are on the brakes.

I ended up going with the Brembo 6/4 BBK, which is not one of the cheaper kits, but it was a huge step up over the factory setup. Now having a BBK I cant see any way I would have been satisfied with the factory setup. I was previously using stoptech slotted rotors and performance friction pads and it was just not enough. I know I could have upgraded even more without going to a BBK, but I still dont believe I would have been satisfied.

Just my 2 cents, if you track the car really hard, as it sounds like you do, I believe bbk's are worth it. As said before, it really depends on your driving style and how hard you want to go into corners.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 09:59 AM
BBS
Evolved Member

The record breaking cyber evo utilizes the stock front rear calipers. I'm sure a new pad rotor combination will suffice for your needs.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Ryan@Forged
How much more are you wanting out of your braking system? If your expecting alot more just 2piece rotors may not fix your problem. However, if your close to where you want to be, I would explore that option first paired with a VERY aggressive pad. It all depends on your driving syle and how hard you are on the brakes.

I ended up going with the Brembo 6/4 BBK, which is not one of the cheaper kits, but it was a huge step up over the factory setup. Now having a BBK I cant see any way I would have been satisfied with the factory setup. I was previously using stoptech slotted rotors and performance friction pads and it was just not enough. I know I could have upgraded even more without going to a BBK, but I still dont believe I would have been satisfied.

Just my 2 cents, if you track the car really hard, as it sounds like you do, I believe bbk's are worth it. As said before, it really depends on your driving style and how hard you want to go into corners.
+1 I also have been using the Brembo BBK for over a year now, and either rain or shine they stop like a dime! Very expensive, but well worth it! No squeaking because of the pads, from 140 it will take you down to 60 in seconds and best of all, The rear is a little heaver then the front even though the front is a 14" disc so the car doesn't dig into the ground when you brake hard. It smooth coming in a corner and braking hard and I have yet to feel them warp or let up. They just keep stopping harder and harder! There's a reason why Brembo is the only OEM aftermarket brake for production vehicles in the industry, you don't see Rotora on high performance cars from factory.... IMO, Brembo is where it is at!

Quick Reply: Big Brake Kits, Comments on Wilwood, Rotora & KSport