Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Review: Autozone Duralast Gold CMax Pads (Ceramic Brakes) for the Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 03bbyevo
i'm curious how the autozone pads hold up to some spirited driving in the mountains or curvy roads.....
Considering you are from SoCal - have you ever gone up to Big Bear? I would call that Spirited Driving in the mountain and curvy roads

In my opinion, quite hard on the brakes as you are going downhill for almost an hour.

Look at the map here - http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=High...Big+Bear&2s=CA

You might be familiar with the Palomar Run (never taken it there, an hour drive away from me) - you can see the layout here..

http://www.socalvelo.com/sub/palomar.html (that's quite short though)

I'll be taking my car to the Mt Baldy ride soon and will let you know. Pretty much the same distance as the Palomar run.

http://www.socalvelo.com/sub/mount_baldy_road.htm

One thing I did notice was that the brakes had a linear feel to it, unlike the stock brakes which sometimes bit quickly, but then sometimes left alot to be desired. I like consistency when I'm going down the hill as surprises suck

For other SoCal people, the Glendora Mountain Road -> Glendora Ridge -> Mt Baldy is a great ride. If you go, just show up early and be careful of bicycle riders - alot less of them when the weather starts to get colder like around now to early spring.

i like to do the occasional mountain run and have been considering these pads but don't wanna end up kissin a boulder
That's why you start slow and get the feel for the pads and it's limits. After 15-20 minutes, you'll have an idea what the limits are then you'll be able to enjoy the ride.

If you really can't stand the idea of getting Duralast pads, you might want to follow SmikeEvo's advice on the Satisifed Pads (which are also a great deal). I've bought the PR961-C's for the rears and will test see how they feel like on the Mt. Baldy run.

The fronts - GS6-D1001 (Carbon Ceramic) @ amazon.com for 60$ (free shipping).
And the rears - PR961-C (Ceramic) @ amazon.com for 21.66$ --- Note: You can also get the GS6-D961 (Rear Gransport 6) - Carbon Ceramic (same stuff like the front GS6-D1001) @ amazon.com for 40.60$ (free shipping)

You can find more info about these pads at http://www.satisfiedbrakes.com/

Note the GS6 are of the "Gransport Performance Product" family, while the PR's are of the "ProSeries Product" family.

Originally Posted by www.satisfiedbrakes.com@GS6
For ultimate street performance, GS6 Carbon-Ceramic pads provide impressive braking power to match the needs of a more spirited driver. GS6 improves on the stopping power of conventional OE compounds, delivering a stable friction coefficient of 0.38 – 0.42 in a 100 – 700°F operating range. GS6 stops your vehicle...hot or cold!

SmikeEVO uses the GS5-D1001 (Delivering a friction coefficient up to 0.49 in an operating temperature range of 100 – 850°F, GS5 generates medium to high torque and virtually flat-line output for consistent, linear stopping power, power, hot or cold) on the street and has good things to say about them.

Please note that I'm not saying that these pads are Track Pads - they definitely are not. I'm saying that for the street, even with the ocassional spirited drive - they are perfectly fine. In other words, spend your hard earned money on better tires instead.

Trying to be objective in comparing the Satisfied Pads to other Street pads

Originally Posted by ProjectMuB-Force
Project Mu - B-Force street pads have an operating range up to 932F, but the friction coefficent is 0.32~0.42 - until we get some sort of graph, might not even be consistent.
Originally Posted by FerrodoDS2500
The Ferrodo DS2500's have a friction coefficient of .50, and it's supposed to be linear, rated up to 932F I believe

Originally Posted by GirodiscMagicPads
Don't really have any info (those are Semi-Metallics) - that might be a question for GiroDisc.
Originally Posted by HawkHPS
Don't really have any info, anybody know?
Originally Posted by EndlessVitaNouva

Last edited by funks; Nov 1, 2008 at 02:10 AM.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 05:53 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Correct!

The GS6s are awesome street pads. My brother runs them on his car (3500lb Z28). And I run the GS5s as my street/AX combo - they are not track pads.

Good information here. Thanks for searching and putting it up.

Last edited by Smike; Nov 1, 2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 12:38 PM

amazon doesn't have any of the gs6 pads in stock

and they charge a whole hellva lot more for em on their website

where else could i find em for the amazon prices?
Old Nov 1, 2008, 04:18 PM
Evolving Member

I think of those pads are drop-shipped. At least places like TireRack.com and Carparts.com says they ship in 7-10 days.

Product Numbers

TireRack.com

Click here - GS6-D1001 82$
GS6-D961 - don't have the link - ??$

CarParts.com

Front GS6-D1001 = (dunno)
Click Here - Rear GS6-D961 - then on the YEAR, click on 2004, you'll see the pads with MFR #GS6-D961 (Mitsubishi Lancer 2004, Sub Model = Evolution, Location = Rear) on the list for (21.24$)

Last edited by funks; Nov 1, 2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old Nov 2, 2008, 12:09 AM
Evolved Member

What about the Axxis ultimates? Supposedly similar or same as some of StopTech stuff (not sure of the validity of this though)

I got a front and rear set new for $100.00
Old Nov 2, 2008, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

its cool to see that they come with new retainers...
Old Nov 30, 2008, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Just an update, I've already gone mountain driving twice recently

Yesterday was a ride through Mt. Baldy, Gledora Ridge Road, and Glendora Mountain Road (to Glendora)

Last week, it was a ride through Mt. Baldy, Glendora Ridge Road, and Glendora Mountain Road (to Asuza)

No issues to report, the car stops.
Old Dec 1, 2008, 03:37 PM
Evolving Member

nice. did you have to resurface your rotors when you installed the pads?
Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by funks
Just an update, I've already gone mountain driving twice recently

Yesterday was a ride through Mt. Baldy, Gledora Ridge Road, and Glendora Mountain Road (to Glendora)

Last week, it was a ride through Mt. Baldy, Glendora Ridge Road, and Glendora Mountain Road (to Asuza)

No issues to report, the car stops.
Does that mean still no noise form the rears? Great thread BTW, I'm considering going with these pads now thanks to this.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 02:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I installed a set of the cmax gold on my sisters maxima last week aling with some nickel plated rotors..After bedding them and a few heat cycles these brakes felt great for a street pad on that car..
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:34 AM

I got my self a set of Duralast Gold Cmax and so far no complaints. The price and warranty cannot be beat. So far im happy. =-)
Old Dec 12, 2008, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by Gemnistone
I got my self a set of Duralast Gold Cmax and so far no complaints. The price and warranty cannot be beat. So far im happy. =-)
i just intalled them on my 00 gmc jimmy, so far so good ..i might buy them on my evo see how it goes.
Old Dec 12, 2008, 11:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by prodystopian
Does that mean still no noise form the rears? Great thread BTW, I'm considering going with these pads now thanks to this.
I removed the DURALAST GOLDS on the rear and replaced it with Satisfied Pro-Ceramic VS (PR-961C) - 22$ @ amazon.com a couple of weeks ago. Didn't get any noise with the old setup though but it might have made some noise sooner (#1 compliant about semi-metallics is noise).

SmikeEvo's musings piqued my interest hence I tried the rear satisfied pads.

I'm running DURALAST CMAX GOLD on the FRONT, and Satisfied Pro-Ceramic VS (PR-961C) on the REAR. Both ceramics. Won't be changing the front pads to Satisfied ones though because my fronts wear quite a bit more than the rear hence the lifetime replacement will pay dividends down the line :]

We're planning on going up to the mountains again tomorrow, here's a pic during our last outing

Last edited by funks; Dec 12, 2008 at 11:11 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2008, 07:12 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I wish I had mountains to play in.
Old Dec 28, 2008, 12:56 AM
Evolved Member

I had these installed and for some reason the shop said the stock shims couldn't fit and now the car squeaks like a mother, it's horrific. Anyone know why this might be? Could it just be install error?

Quick Reply: Review: Autozone Duralast Gold CMax Pads (Ceramic Brakes) for the Daily Driver