Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

eBay brakes and rotors, good idea or not??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2008, 08:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AlwaysinBoost
you have like what 4 cars in your profile and you can't afford a couple hundred for some rims & tires. why would you buy an aftermarket exhaust when you need safety equipment for one of your cars? sounds like you have your priorities all screwed up... sorry but I have no sympathy for you.
u r like my dad, i remember when i used to come to him cause i got in trouble for doing something stupid, u know, to cry on his shoulder, and instead, he would yell at me for being stupid...

yes i have 4 cars in the family, and it is exactly the reason i have no money left.... all i ever do is fix em (well thank heaven the audi is under warranty, and the lex couldnt break if you threw it out of an airplane)
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:16 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by ktk
thank you^

I'd only add a few comments

Slotted rotors do increase brake torque - but only a little bit. They do also seem to increase 'response'. This might help a street pad not quite meant for really hard use. Also - the tooling used to machine the slots is pretty critical in how much pad wear is accelerated.

Also - the slots do introduce a stress concentration - but in my experience (mostly w/ premium rotors) while the cracks look to originate in the slots - they also are everywhere else so I think the rotors were 'done' anyway. I expect this is a material issue - a tougher iron doesn't quite split and give way quite as easily. (has reasonable ductility and good toughness for a generally brittle material

As far as drilled rotors - it is probably unlikely you will crack a drilled rotor on the street - but certainly not impossible. First -it is at least partially likely that the temperature difference in the rotor is as important as the absolute max temp. If you introduce a strong temperature differential in the iron I bet you can crack any drilled rotor. And cheaper ones likely do it easier.

A few more thoughts -

Iron alloys have a pretty significant effect on friction characteristics including mu, wear rate, and thermal properties. As an example - the right amount of titanium really helps w/ wear and the proper microstructure impacts friction.

Lastly - and the one thing I struggle to quantify - is are the more expensive rotors better for you and WORTH THE MONEY? Well they are surely better - and from many perspectives. Anyone could compare the 2 and see the obvious differences. But is it worth it? I dunno - does cheap EVO exhaust fit and work as well as the more expensive ones?

Lastly - the only company I know of that offers warranty on brakes is AutoZone - and I am pretty sure it's not because their rotors are special. They are just trying to make a sale. You should read the disclaimer on certain packaging - it is what it is.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:48 PM
8u
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SICK9
Which ebay seller is it?
If it's RotorPro's than there are alot of ppl that have em, including me..

"Slotted and dimpled" RotorPro's rotors with Hawk HPS pads.
Works great and stops on a dime, much better than my oem ones, and they were pretty good.
I also bought rotors from them... so far so good. I have no complaints.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by S6devil
what about "R1Concepts"; they sell drilled and slotted rotors for like $130.... i cant imagine anything being even cheaper than that... anyone heard of this seller ?
I have these rotors and driven them for a year 20k miles with axis race pads. work great. I do allot of road coarse style driving and these brakes work. They make noise when they are cold, and they are heavier then stock. other then that they are great. Priced right.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

Tommy: Let's think about this for a sec, Ted, why would somebody put a guarantee on a box? Hmmm, very interesting.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Go on, I'm listening.
Tommy: Here's the way I see it, Ted. Guy puts a fancy guarantee on a box 'cause he wants you to fell all warm and toasty inside.
Ted Nelson, Customer: Yeah, makes a man feel good.
Tommy: 'Course it does. Why shouldn't it? Ya figure you put that little box under your pillow at night, the Guarantee Fairy might come by and leave a quarter, am I right, Ted?
[chuckles until he sees that Ted is not laughing too]
Ted Nelson, Customer: [impatiently] What's your point?
Tommy: The point is, how do you know the fairy isn't a crazy glue sniffer? "Building model airplanes" says the little fairy; well, we're not buying it. He sneaks into your house once, that's all it takes. The next thing you know, there's money missing off the dresser, and your daughter's knocked up. I seen it a hundred times.
Ted Nelson, Customer: But why do they put a guarantee on the box?
Tommy: Because they know all they sold ya was a guaranteed piece of ****. That's all it is, isn't it? Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it guaranteed, I will. I got spare time. But for now, for your customer's sake, for your daughter's sake, ya might wanna think about buying a quality product from me.
Ted Nelson, Customer: [pause] Okay, I'll buy from you.
Tommy: Well, that's...
Tommy, Richard Hayden: ...What?

Originally Posted by EVOBrakes
I'd only add a few comments
Lastly - the only company I know of that offers warranty on brakes is AutoZone - and I am pretty sure it's not because their rotors are special. They are just trying to make a sale. You should read the disclaimer on certain packaging - it is what it is.
Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

ebay sometimes have good stuff
Old Dec 11, 2008, 01:41 PM

ktk and EvoBrakes (appropriate name, btw) excellent posts. Thanks.