Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Swift Spec R's Reviewed!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2009, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How would you say this set up performed/handled in comparison to the Megans on auto-x/track?
Old Jan 5, 2009, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I ran the Megan Tracks before my current setup. I had issues with the car never acting as I wanted it to (pushing). On the track, the car worked fairly well. Still had pushing issues, but more manageable on the track than a tight AX course. On the street, 12k/10k was a too harsh for daily driving. I was most worried about DD and winter conditions. Having those freeze up from corrosion would have been a PITA.

AX on Tracks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5NVueRu9y0

On my Sports (last season), it was a different car to drive. I could rotate the car easier and it felt more RWD (throttle oversteer like turning). I was not fighting the car to do what I wanted it to do.

AX on Sports:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwW8i3JqxjQ

On the track (Grattan, MI), in the S-turns the car transitioned much better in terms of feel. It was very smooth, where in the Megan's it was not as comfortable to attack at speed and harder to hold a tight line in that section. And the area right before the straight is an undulating surface. On the Tracks, it was very up/down, where pushing it make it feel like you were going to skip on the road. The Bilsteins seem to do a better job in soaking that section up, I am at WOT in 4th through it, where before it was in/out of 4th.

Track on Sports:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kpbRuWQJ5k

Last edited by Smike; Jan 5, 2009 at 03:46 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks again for the great info. Do you think the pushing/awkward feeling could be related to the coilovers being stiffer in the front? I'm wondering how coilovers set up with stiffer springs in the rear (i.e., PIC TSO's) would feel.
Old Jan 5, 2009, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

Very welcome

Some of it was just adjusting them. I was on the fence on just re-springing them to something like 7k/8k or even 10k/12k. But after I decided to drive the Evo year round coil-overs were out the window. Which is what started me on this quest - year round handling.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:41 PM
Evolved Member

From my contact at Swift USA:

I got an email yesterday from our engineers, they have some information that might explain the 1.4 inch drop in the front.

"The Evo Stock suspension has a tendency to under steer. By lowering the front suspension more then the rear will counter the under steer effect."

We did our testing in Tsukuba Japan with one of our in house JGTC drivers - Kikuchi. The rates and drop height were selected with a couple of test sessions. Performance and driver's feeling were the main goals for our testing.

In terms of killing shocks, we hear numerous complains about drop height being too low on other manufacture springs. Which is half true, dropping the vehicle too low would damage shocks. But the main reason why the shocks would fail is because of bottoming out. Once a shock is consistently bottoming out, any shocks would be killed. This critical element is part of our testing on all of our springs.
"The Evo Stock suspension has a tendency to under steer. By lowering the front suspension more then the rear will counter the under steer effect." -- this is rake.

Our in-depth discussion is here:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...bout-rake.html

Last edited by Smike; Jan 6, 2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old Jan 6, 2009, 04:28 PM
Former Sponsor

^ Sorry Mike I have given up on trying to explain things. The rake is just one part of the whole deal. Great job on trying to seperate fact from fiction .
Old Jan 6, 2009, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
Great job on trying to seperate fact from fiction .
Thanks Indy!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 05:03 AM
RT
Evolving Member

Nice review Mike, the engineer's comments sure put a smile on my face.

Rick
Old Jan 7, 2009, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Rick!
Old Jan 7, 2009, 10:27 PM
Evolving Member

Hey SmikeEvo,

I realize that you have the swift stabilizer bars for front and rear, but I just ordered the whiteline ones, and I was wondering if you could comment on any effect you may have seen from the front stabilizer bar? I've been reading and I've heard of instances where you could lift the front inside wheel? I realize you have a different thread about the stabilizer bars, but I was wondering if you could comment here with your updated springs, though I will be using a slightly different set up (gtworx springs and whiteline stabilizer bars)
Old Jan 8, 2009, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

I have not lifted the front inside, at least, not to my knowledge. No one has commented or taken a photo of it at an event.

Some of it was discussed here by Noob4life (post 28):
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/mo...ion-setup.html

Once this spring rolls around I will for sure update this thread.
Old Jan 8, 2009, 12:15 PM
EDL
Evolving Member

I was wondering which springs will fit best my car? I wil be running 18x9.5 +22 te37 with a 255/35/18 tire and for what I have read swift springs is one of the best options but I dont know if to get the sports or spec R's ... btw I have stock strut bars. thanks
Old Jan 8, 2009, 01:30 PM
Evolved Member

What do you use the car for?
Old Jan 8, 2009, 02:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EDL
I I wil be running 18x9.5 +22 te37 with a 255/35/18 tire
^That combo is gonna look sick man!
Old Jan 8, 2009, 02:56 PM
EDL
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
What do you use the car for?
daily driving but I was worry about the sports being to soft and getting rubbing issues also I want performance I have +500 WHP

Quick Reply: Swift Spec R's Reviewed!!!