Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

EVO Trunk Bar Solution - Cheap and Clean!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:04 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EVO Trunk Bar Solution - Cheap and Clean!

Okay, a few months back, frustrated by there being no cheap option for a rear strut bar for the EVO (I don't consider the very nice, $200 bars to be cheap enough for me), I went ahead and bought one of those super cheap bars off Ebay that were labeled as being for a Lancer, '02 and up. Someone on here said they bought one and got it to fit with some 'modifications', so I expected it to be troublesome. Here's the exact bar I bought, though I think I paid a little less than this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591

Anyway, even with some mods, there's no way in heck this bar is going to fit on an EVO. I re-drilled holes in the strut brackets to get the orientation correct, but the bar itself is just way too long (by about 6 inches). Maybe if you're willing to cut the bar and retap the threads... but that's beyond my abilities. On a whim, I decided to see if I could somehow use it as a trunk bar instead. Surprisingly, it's a PERFECT FIT. The hardware that comes with it is even the correct thread pitch. The only thing I had to do was to add a couple washers to each end so that the locking nuts wouldn't be pressed down against the sheet metal -- even this is optional if you just locked the nuts down before installing the bar, but I thought my way was a little cleaner.

I then followed the excellent instructions on this site for the minor trunk trimming that needs to be done. Overall, it was a great install.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails EVO Trunk Bar Solution - Cheap and Clean!-dsc00050.jpg   EVO Trunk Bar Solution - Cheap and Clean!-bar-end-right.jpg   EVO Trunk Bar Solution - Cheap and Clean!-bar-end-left.jpg   EVO Trunk Bar Solution - Cheap and Clean!-installed.jpg  
Old Sep 12, 2004, 11:18 AM
Account Disabled

You had to drill holes though, right?
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:18 PM
Evolving Member

NO. All EVOs come from the factory with the trunk bar holes already. There is a small black sticker covering each of them up. There are weld-nuts underneath the holes. The bolts that came with the bar perfectly fit the nuts. The bar adjusts to be perfectly the right length to use the factory holes. No drilling required.

Rob
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

good find thats pretty kick @$$........You get a big thumbs up for inginuity
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:31 PM
SOF
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Rob W.
Okay, a few months back, frustrated by there being no cheap option for a rear strut bar for the EVO (I don't consider the very nice, $200 bars to be cheap enough for me), I went ahead and bought one of those super cheap bars off Ebay that were labeled as being for a Lancer, '02 and up. Someone on here said they bought one and got it to fit with some 'modifications', so I expected it to be troublesome. Here's the exact bar I bought, though I think I paid a little less than this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33591

Anyway, even with some mods, there's no way in heck this bar is going to fit on an EVO. I re-drilled holes in the strut brackets to get the orientation correct, but the bar itself is just way too long (by about 6 inches). Maybe if you're willing to cut the bar and retap the threads... but that's beyond my abilities. On a whim, I decided to see if I could somehow use it as a trunk bar instead. Surprisingly, it's a PERFECT FIT. The hardware that comes with it is even the correct thread pitch. The only thing I had to do was to add a couple washers to each end so that the locking nuts wouldn't be pressed down against the sheet metal -- even this is optional if you just locked the nuts down before installing the bar, but I thought my way was a little cleaner.

I then followed the excellent instructions on this site for the minor trunk trimming that needs to be done. Overall, it was a great install.

Rob
And the trunk needs reinforcement because?
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:38 PM
Evolved Member

it just does to stiffen the frame god
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

lol wow to many 's
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
kick ***
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SOF
And the trunk needs reinforcement because?
yeah, what he said
Old Sep 12, 2004, 08:55 PM
Evolved Member

that looks really really good actually. i'm impressed. slap a cusco sticker on there and most people won't even know the difference
Old Sep 12, 2004, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

shouldn't the rear strut bar be fitted onto the shock towers? The one in the pics looks like it is just bolted onto the trunk panels with 2 bolts on either side.
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MagEvoVII
shouldn't the rear strut bar be fitted onto the shock towers? The one in the pics looks like it is just bolted onto the trunk panels with 2 bolts on either side.
That's what I thought too. Those bars are supposed to brace up the frame of the car, or something solid like that. Bolting it up to what seems like just sheet metal in the trunk has no purpose. In case the trunk actually flexed under hard cornering, I would think the trunk metal would just tear and rip the bolts off. Kinda like bolting both of your front seats. It's not secured to anything structurally rigid, like the frame. I don't think that'll do anything. But prove me wrong if it does.

Last edited by Thoe99; Sep 13, 2004 at 12:53 AM.
The following users liked this post:
DinoYang (Mar 29, 2020)
Old Sep 12, 2004, 10:29 PM
Evolving Member

Pretty quick thinking dude, that's not a bad idea.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:15 AM

Old Sep 13, 2004, 02:21 AM
Evolving Member

Location: 85296, 99519, 96817,98310,07306,10461(HomeSweetHome), & 00739
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another DIY for less! Good Find!!!

Quick Reply: EVO Trunk Bar Solution - Cheap and Clean!