Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Swift Spec R's Reviewed!!!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2008, 01:41 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Swift Spec R's Reviewed!!!

Swift Spec R's Reviewed!

To start us off, a bit of a history review. After running the stock, Megan Tracks, KYB/Swift Sports (briefly), Bilstein HD/Swift Sports, and now Bilstein HD/Swift Spec Rs, I have the opportunity to feel out many setups and advance the realm of spring/strut/sway combinations. I firmly believe in and have won in this quest. And as far as I know, I am one of the only people to have tested all of these on my own car. And most specifically, the Swift GSR Sports to the GSR Spec R's.

Previous threads on this subject:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-comments.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...-reviewed.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...oes-again.html

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...parts-too.html

After a bunch of fun Sunday/Monday dealing with some frozen bolts, frozen hands, and some choice words the Swift Spec R's are now on my Bilstein HD's. I had to run over to my local shop here in Ohio to get the bolts torched. A torch is one of the few things I don't have. We did get a Kerosene heater for the garage – yeah heat. It took me about 2 hours with the help of my father to get off the Swift Sports and put in the Spec Rs.

Yes, I realize that it is winter time, so no racing reviews until this spring. Sorry guys and gals. But as soon as I get back out for the 2009 season I will update this review. This review will concentrate on the street/daily driving mannerisms of this setup.

The current setup:
--Bilstein HD Struts
--Swift Spec R Springs
--Swift Stabilizer Bars
--Goodyear F1 All-Seasons (235/45/17)
--Camber: -1.7 in front and -1.3 in the rear. No toe.

The future:
Last season, I ran the Dunlop Z1 and Z1 Star Spec tires for HPDE's and AXing. This season I am planing on getting a dedicated race-only set of NT01's or similar r-comp tire. Don't get me wrong, the Dunlop's are a great tire – hands down. However, at this point, I have taken street tires as far as they could take me. I have learned on them and pushed them to the edge. Both as an instructor and being instructed when I started off – this is the right learning pattern. Start slow - go fast.

One big thing with tires is matching what your suspension can handle. With the increase grip levels on the new tires I will be going to, you will translate more of that grip into the suspension. Basically, as grip increases you should increase your spring rate to cope (oversimplified). The Spec R's do that and more.

Comparison between the springs:
Swift Sports: F: 179 (helper section) 269 (main rate), R: 207 (helper section) 319 (main rate) (157-314 for MR). -1.4, -0.8 drop.
Swift Sports MR: F: 179 (helper section) 269 (main rate), R: 157 (helper section) 314 (main rate). -1.4, -0.66 drop.
Swift Spec Rs: F: 157 (helper section) 358 (main rate), R: 196 (helper section) 380 (main rate). -1.4, -0.8 drop.
Swift Spec Rs MR: F: 157 (helper section) 358 (main rate), R: 153 (helper section) 380 (main rate). -1.4, -0.66 drop.
(Stock(USDM): 180 lb/in (3.2k), 225 lb/in (4.0k). No drop.)

Swift Sports: 179-269 lb/in (4.8k final) , 207-319 lb/in (5.7k final) (157-314 for MR). -1.4 in, -0.8 in drop.
Swift Spec R's: 157-358 lb/in (6.4k final), 196-380 lb/in (6.8k final) (153-380 for MR). -1.4 in, -0.8 in drop.

As you can see, up front the Spec Rs have a 22 lb/in softer starting rate and a 89 lb/in stiffer final rate. And 11 lb/in softer starting rate and 61 lb/in stiffer final rate in the rears. Just like in the Sports, this softer initial rate yields great street-ability over road imperfections. Just driving around town and on some of upper Ohio's I-wish-I-was-in-the-mountains-twisty-roads this setup has just awesome feel. Remember, one of my complaints for Megan Tracks was the stiffness for everyday life, the Spec R's are not so stiff that it hurts to drive longer than 15 minutes.

The Spec R's feel like the Sports just with the volume up at 11.

I do not have the spring ramp up data on hand, however that initial rate is quickly ramped up to stiffer rates. Soon as you get into a turn you can feel the car bite into the turn. And even on all-season tires, it grips and gives the driver great feel on what is going on. What does that mean to you? An ear-to-ear grin. I cannot wait until this spring when I get to run in the first AX's and Winged Warrior V!

Photos:
Almost as nice as looking up the dress of a Las Vegas dancer:

Swift Spec Rs and Swift Sports (yes, my snowboard boots - its really cold):

Swift Spec R's:

Installed:

Front:

Sides:

They look lonely:

More will be added as I get more seat and racing time!

Big thanks to Indy and Andrew @ GTWorx for their tireless dedication to suspensions.

Last edited by Smike; Nov 5, 2010 at 06:53 AM. Reason: Updated with most current info 11/5/10
Old Dec 23, 2008, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just bought the same setup, Can't wait to install it. ; )
Old Dec 23, 2008, 01:56 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks for sharing. Looks great and good information. Looking forward to further feedback on them.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks guys! I can't wait until AX/HPDE season starts up again Forza 2 just doesn't cut it.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
Thanks guys! I can't wait until AX/HPDE season starts up again Forza 2 just doesn't cut it.
No kidding! My local 2009 auto-x schedule was just released yesterday and its already got me excited!
Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Nice work mike. Keep up the good work.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:00 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Awesome...I was really looking forward to your review. Can't wait to see the performance portion of it.

The spring design itself looks like what I expected. That's a good thing.

- Andrew
Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
Awesome...I was really looking forward to your review. Can't wait to see the performance portion of it.

The spring design itself looks like what I expected. That's a good thing.

- Andrew
Me too!
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:20 PM
Former Sponsor

This is exactly what EvoM needs, a thread with descriptions, facts, photos, and results. Great job Mike looking forward to your AX, and WW5 results also.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Indy Evo
This is exactly what EvoM needs, a thread with descriptions, facts, photos, and results. Great job Mike looking forward to your AX, and WW5 results also.
I am looking forward to WW5!

Thank you Indy
Old Dec 23, 2008, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm on Spec R's w/ MR struts, how different would the HD's feel?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spish
I'm on Spec R's w/ MR struts, how different would the HD's feel?
A little bit stiffer overall compared to the MR's. When I had a chance to drive my friends MR around town and on the roads they felt very similar. Besides valving, being rebuildable, and price - the MR's are good. The stock MRs are expensive to replace though, my biggest negative about them.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 08:23 PM
Account Disabled

I enjoyed my Swift Spec R's.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:34 PM
Evolving Member

Ive been running the spec-r's on kyb struts for about a year and i like it, but do you think it would be worth it to get the bilstein hd's?
Old Dec 23, 2008, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why do the Spec-R look like they have a more progressive spring rate compared to the Sports? I would have thought they would be more linear.

Quick Reply: Swift Spec R's Reviewed!!!