Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Rotate Your Brake Fluid Now!

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2009, 08:52 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rotate Your Brake Fluid Now!

Holy crap I just heard ssomething rather disturbing,

My friend owns a G35 coupe and he regularly frequents some g35 forum on the interweb. Apparently the posters who track their cars, only "rotate their brake fluid", and my buddy thinks this is actually comparable to bleeding your brakes. I must admit he isn't the sharpest one on the block when it comes to logical thinking.

We are going to ThunderHill in June and I recommended that he at the very least bleed his brakes before hand, but he shouls do a full fluid change and get new pads. He says he should be okay because he just rotated his brake fluid a few months ago. I thought he was joking, you know like changing your headlight washer fluid. But he was completely serious, and was surprised when I didn't know what he was talking about.

Apparently rotating your brake fluid is when you just empty out the resevior on the master cylinder with a turkey baster and just refill it with fresh stuff.

I tried to explain to him that all of the heat and moisture is coming from the caliper end, and that is where you should be concentrating your efforts. Then he said that the new stuff gets circulated into the system. Apparently he thinks the brake system is some free flowing sytem like your cooling system. Because he also said after he rotated it a couple of times last he checked the fluid was brand new!!!!!

After that I just completely lost it, I told him he should probibly not go to his g35 forum for advise anymore, but he was still unconvinced that he should bleed or change his brake fluid. I guess hell learn when his brakes fail and he goes off track.

I just had to share. Is there anyone out there on these forums that rotates there brake fluid??? Any opinions on the matter?? Maybe I am the complete idiot?
Old May 23, 2009, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fail
Old May 23, 2009, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow.... Sounds like he shouldn't be working on his own car.
Old May 23, 2009, 09:06 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hehe

Everyone who reads this, please post, I want him to read this, because he won't listen to me
Old May 23, 2009, 09:06 AM
Evolving Member

i personally DONT do it, but i work for a Honda dealership.... and thats basically all they do. Clean out the reservoirs with vacuum and then just fill it up with fresh stuff, then flag their time and call it a day! hahaha
Old May 23, 2009, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by halfnhalf83
i personally DONT do it, but i work for a Honda dealership.... and thats basically all they do. Clean out the reservoirs with vacuum and then just fill it up with fresh stuff, then flag their time and call it a day! hahaha
exactly^^^^
i use to work for a dealership(infiniti) and thats all we did to make the customer think we cleaned/bleed/refill their system. BLEED THE BRAKES NOW!!! lol
Old May 23, 2009, 10:05 AM
Evolved Member

Does the guy think there is some return line from the calipers back to the reservoir? As far as I know it is a one way line so how could you rotate it? If all they're doing is sucking it out from the reservoir then what about the old crap that's still in the lines? Isn't that why you bleed it? At least that's my understanding. Please correct me if I am wrong.
Old May 23, 2009, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

That's brilliant! I'm going to go rotate my brake fluid right now! Then i will punch myself in the face and pierce my ******* with a rusty ice pick. Once I'm done doing these things I'll go bleed my brakes and call it a day.
Old May 23, 2009, 12:02 PM
Evolving Member

Epic FAIL. the brake system is a close system that is not circular in nature.
Old May 23, 2009, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Tell him to check his blinker fluid while he's at it. It may need to be rotated AND balanced.
Old May 23, 2009, 12:08 PM
Evolved Member

tell him hes doing it wrong. he can reuse the old stuff, just run it through a coffee filter to purify it

ive got a set of muffler bearings for a g35 sitting around, their his for free, just cover shipping.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:54 AM

Thats probably one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. His calipers are going to see little to nothing of that fluid. The best he could be doing with this process is making his reservoir look nicer.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:02 AM
Evolving Member

also make sure every 3k miles he changes his kunotor valve and make sure he changes his wiffle pins as well, while hes using his turkey tube to rotate his brake fluid!!!!!!!!!! ..... some people shouldnt be able to own a car
Old May 24, 2009, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

uber fail
Old May 24, 2009, 10:23 AM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chabada15
fail
+23656 on that!

Quick Reply: Rotate Your Brake Fluid Now!