Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Ceramic pads squealing?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2009, 08:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ceramic pads squealing?

My OEM pads finally wore out so I bought Hawk HP plus pads and they squealed really loud and I could not stand it on the street. I searched for a different pad and picked up some Duralast Gold ceramic pads and I still have a loud squeal everytime I stop. Just wondering if the problem could be with the rotors?
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Had the same prob, first you should have bed them in, then use crc de squeak. I did and now they only squeal when they are super hot. GL
Old Oct 26, 2009, 04:38 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
You might want to take 120 grit sand paper to the rotor surface to get all the other material off. Right now you have competing compounds on there. Then re-bed the pads. Might also take 500 or so street miles to end the noise.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 07:57 PM

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 09:13 PM
NSS
Evolving Member

Yea this might help me as well.. i hate the squealing
Old Oct 28, 2009, 06:32 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Worst case - turn the rotors (if they have enough meat left on them). Start with a completely fresh surface.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 01:50 PM

I dont mind the squealing sometimes, but its annoying when it does it all the time. I will try the sandpaper trick this weekend and try to save some life on the rotors. Thanks again.
Old Oct 29, 2009, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
My brake pad squealing issues had to do with the lip left on the stock rotors by the stock pads.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 01:25 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
You might want to take 120 grit sand paper to the rotor surface to get all the other material off. Right now you have competing compounds on there. Then re-bed the pads. Might also take 500 or so street miles to end the noise.
This /\

I just went from DS2500s to these pads (needed some RIGHT THEN). I took a wire wheel to them, but have an experienced hand for the sort. What Smike suggests would be the way to go for Average Joe. Just keep it REAL even, and know it will take a couple hundred miles to completely quiet down. I don't believe in "turning" rotors, I replace them first, but that's another topic/sticky.

Once you remove the old compound off the rotors, and bed them, give them an extra few hundred miles to completely bed in, your gold. Only time I get squeal now is when backing up, or after a rain with rust on the rotors. Even that is intermittent.

All in all, they are an ok pad for a daily driver if you are not a maniac (I am... miss my DS2500s). Lack of dust is nice, and at sane speeds they work well enough. Wish I'd had some Magic pads from Girodisc handy at the time though. Bet they would be a little better for more spirited driving.

Pardon the mini review... hope the info helps the OP and others though.

Also, what Kracka says is also true... if they are that worn, you need to get them mic'd to make sure they have enough meat left to safely use! Mine had a little lip, but that quickly beds in if it's not too radical to use.

Last edited by Zeus; Oct 30, 2009 at 01:28 PM.