Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

25mm or 27mm RSB? Help NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 06:11 AM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm have a feeling the AP is not as stiff as my 27mm Robi bar? Robi doesn't even recommend running full stiff unless its a full on track car. I'm on the second of 4 settings, and the car is really loose on an open autox course. You guys are probably just better driver drivers than I am to be honest.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
I'm have a feeling the AP is not as stiff as my 27mm Robi bar? Robi doesn't even recommend running full stiff unless its a full on track car. I'm on the second of 4 settings, and the car is really loose on an open autox course. You guys are probably just better driver drivers than I am to be honest.
The AP is solid, so I think it should be at least as stiff as any 27mm bar out there. To me the biggest downside of it is that it's very heavy!

I think my car might meet the definition of a "full on track car" though. It has every suspension mod in the book, though it's street driven on weekends and is RTA street class legal.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 09:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
Easy to say on the street driving. Try driving on the track with it, or even a fast autox layout!
My point was that the 27mm was fine on the street. You even said this in a higher post:

"I've mentioned to the OP before that a 27 may be a tad large for regular street performance, but a car seeing track use will benefit from a larger bar, or stiffer settings."

seams like you run a 27mm bar yourself, so I don't see what you are getting at.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 12:04 PM
chu
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I do have a 27mm bar. I was just giving my opinion, from my own experience, that a strictly street driven vehicle should not need such a big bar. I'm not arguing whether it works or not, it's just more that than anyone will need on the street, thats all. If it works for you, so be it it. I hope this is useful debate and not argumentative.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 01:47 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by chu
I do have a 27mm bar. I was just giving my opinion, from my own experience, that a strictly street driven vehicle should not need such a big bar.
I agree, if one wants to make it from Point A to Point B without slowing down much, while maintaining a degree of safety. One is faster on the street in a car that isn't as loose. Similarly, running on overly stiff suspension setup on the street doesn't lead to quicker cornering.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 03:54 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Originally Posted by FJF
I agree, if one wants to make it from Point A to Point B without slowing down much, while maintaining a degree of safety. One is faster on the street in a car that isn't as loose. Similarly, running on overly stiff suspension setup on the street doesn't lead to quicker cornering.
True, but the original poster didn't sound like he was trying to make a compromised car for maximum safe street performance:

Originally Posted by boostedtres
This is a street car, but it is mainly used for AutoX and the occasional open track day. I am in the process of building it up as a track car as the funds come in.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:02 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVO8LTW
True, but the original poster didn't sound like he was trying to make a compromised car for maximum safe street performance:
The OP was not quoted in my reply.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:34 PM

I know i will not need a 27mm but would a 26 be a good compromise between street/ track/ auto x?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 04:48 PM
FJF
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Paintballer81
I know i will not need a 27mm but would a 26 be a good compromise between street/ track/ auto x?
How good of driver are you? Really. You don't have to post an answer. If you can't outdrive the stock setup and absolutely must install just a RSB, go for a Hotchkiss 24mm. I ran one. On full-soft - a little stiffer then stock - the car can be very quick on the street. On full-stiff, the rear is much more loose. Hotchkiss quotes stiffer-than-stock percentages than I cannot recall ATM. My point is, in essence, err on the conservative side until you're fully comfortable using every bit of what you have. If you can afford to stuff the car in your first decreasing radius corner, feel free to ignore everything I said.

Last edited by FJF; Jan 10, 2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:11 AM

The car itself can outdrive the stock setup but its more that i want something that i can grow into, so maybe 25 would be a more balanced bar.