Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Strange high pitched noise from left wheel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2010, 02:53 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange high pitched noise from left wheel

Having a problem but not sure where to start.

Of late, I've been hearing a noise in my front left wheel. It doesn't do it initially when the car is cold, but after a little driving it makes the noise.

It wants to sound as very high pitched brake squeal but it is quite faint. The only way i can hear it is when driving past a wall or curb... I don't even hear it with the windows up and it only goes away when the car slows down... to about say 15- 20Mph... but around 30-50 it does...

I checked to see if the pads were low and they still have significant padding left on it... (It's not the OEM brembo pad but not sure as to the actual brand...)

The wheel has no play so I'm not sure if it's a bearing as the sound doesn't change whether the car turns left or right.

Only things I could consider is the pad, the rotor (looks like it could do with some resurfacing) or really and truly the bearing itself...

Anyone expecienced this?
Old Jan 16, 2010, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

anyone?
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar noise for ages at low speeds, was the bov leaking early (Greddy S Type). I swore it was my wheel for months too, sorry if this doesn't help at all.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:24 AM
Evolving Member

But I run the MR bov... and the sound really seems to be the wheel as it's regardless of if the car is in gear or neutral and revved.

Changed the Pads yesterday and still making the damn noise so figure it really is the bearing... just ordered one from lancershop.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 04:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
you need a change wheel bearing
Old Jan 21, 2010, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Did you check to see if a rock got stuck between the dust shield and rotor? I had that happen on an Audi once. It made a really eerie wailing sound when you got the car past 20mph, as the rock was causing either the rotor or dust shield to vibrate.

l8r)
Old Jan 21, 2010, 09:07 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludikraut
Did you check to see if a rock got stuck between the dust shield and rotor? I had that happen on an Audi once. It made a really eerie wailing sound when you got the car past 20mph, as the rock was causing either the rotor or dust shield to vibrate.

l8r)
+1....this has happened to me on multiple cars.

- drew
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

Are you sure that you torqued the lug nuts properly. A long time ago I removed my front tire to inspect tire wear and for nails. I tightened the lugs by hand and went in the house. I left and forgot to torque the lugs and it started to make that sound when passing next to parked cars.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 05:09 PM

Yeah, I'm currently experiencing a similar problem. On occasion pulling out of 1st/low speeds. I hear a sound similar to what you are describing.
Old Jan 22, 2010, 06:31 AM
Evolving Member

Yep checked everything... replaced the pads and saw the center groove was filled with gunk and a coupe small stones and thought it was that. But even with the new pads it still does it. Checked the shield and still saw nothing in between but still cleaned anyway... still got the noise.

the lugs are tightened fine... usually use a torque setting wrench to about 73-75 ft lbs... so i know that wasn't it.

I reserved myself to the fact it has to be the bearing so patiently awaiting it to come in a couple weeks time.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 02:07 PM
Evolving Member

UPDATE:

Well I'm now more borke for it... but with much stress, was able to change my front wheel bearing today... And STILL the noise is there.

I dunno what else could cause this... I do have a slight sweating on my transfer, but not enough to cause my TC to be out of fluid. Changed that this week as well and it still had quite a bit... and even so it sounds like a high pitch metal screech so it can' be that.

Figure I'll have to remove the rear and see... this is getting frustrating.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

is the frequency of the sound related to engine speed or wheel speed?
Old Feb 2, 2010, 05:04 PM
Evolving Member

wheel speed. will start at around 30- 40 MPH... won't hear it as it gets faster than that. and it's a constant noise... not like what you'd get with a bearing where it chirps or squeaks... just an annoying high pitched screech...

maybe next thing I should do is get some fairly new OEM brembos rotors of of someone and see... I just dunno.

Last edited by MISHI; Feb 2, 2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 06:13 PM

Unbelievable. I came online to search for the exact same thing on my evo. I've been observing a really low squeal sound from my wheel area (unsure front or back), only with the windows down, and especially when I drive past some cars or a wall, at around 10-20mph, independent of engine speed.

I'm taking the car to the shop on Thursday to get it checked out. I know my brake pads are low on padding, so I'm really keeping my fingers crossed that that's the reason why it's happening.

I'll replace pads very soon, & I hope it solves the issue.

Will keep you posted.
Old Mar 1, 2010, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Well tried the rotors and still get the noise... I think i'm just gonna leave it alone.

Quick Reply: Strange high pitched noise from left wheel