Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tires cupping

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 02:59 AM
pao
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tires cupping

Does anyone noticed any rubbing or abnormal tire wear pattern when running with/or using a similar configuration listed below?

Currently installed on my evo are RE30's (18x8.5 +30mm) wrapped with AD07's (235/40R18) and the car is lowered on swift spec-R's.

During the first rotate/balance after 3k miles on that configuration I noticed that there was a very light scoring on the inside thread patch (patch that's closest to spring/strut); at that time all the tires appeared to be wearing/cupping fairly evenly. I didn't think too much of it then but after another 3k miles it appeared to be getting worse. Yesterday I had it rebalanced and instead of swapping the tires front to rear I swapped it side to side to help the balance the abnormal wear (i know the tires are directional but I really need to know what's going on).

I had an alignment tune about a year ago and between then and now I've driven less than 8k miles.

I'll try to get pictures posted sometime later today.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 04:54 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Alignment specs? You can swap the tires inside/out. So they stay directional, but the sides switch.

Most curious for the alignment specs. They might be out at this point.
Old Mar 5, 2010, 06:19 AM
pao
Evolving Member

Yes an alignment check is schedule for next week
Old Mar 6, 2010, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

I have similar abnormal wear, but only on the rears. I have Swift/Bilstien MR, rims 17x9.5 +30, tire 255/40. Last alignment was done last July, FT 0, FC -1.6, -1.8, RT .02, RC -1.5, -1.7. Rims had last been balanced in May, no abnormal wear then. Have 3000-4000 mi. on them since alignment and noticed the scalloping/scoring on the inside tread patch on the rears. The front tires are great, just a little inside wear no cupping/scalloping/scorching. I've been told that cupping/scalloping is usually caused by a worn suspension part, strut, spring, bushing, ect. anything that connects the wheel to the car could cause this. I read if it is only happening on the rears, (they refered to it as "odd cupping" ) the cause may be just the alignment. Since only two of my tires have this issue I'm debating swapping ( directional tires)side to side, or front to back. I'm going to have the alignment checked, and rims rebalanced, I've had inside wear before on tires due to camber, but never this. Please post what you find out after your alignment, this is disturbing to me.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 01:53 PM
Evolving Member

I had blown struts, which caused the odd wear.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by K1tt3n5
I had blown struts, which caused the odd wear.
Front or rear and how many miles on them, mine have 37,000, Bilstein MR, car feels fine, compression, no leaks, no noise.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 02:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by avo3vom
Front or rear and how many miles on them, mine have 37,000, Bilstein MR, car feels fine, compression, no leaks, no noise.
no idea they were coilovers and both all 4 tires.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 11:21 AM
pao
Evolving Member

okay, i have the results from my alignment checks

left front camber: -1.20
right front camber: -1.08 (weight comp)
caster: 3.58 degrees
toe: 1.3mm

left rear camber: -1.25
right rear camber: -1.20
toe: 1.8mm

just by the numbers it doesn't explain why only the driver side is cupping more so than any other tire on the car... so i asked for slightly more toe in for a retarded bite resulting in the following

left front camber: -1.18
right front camber: -1.02 (weight comp)
caster: 3.47 degrees
toe: 1.8mm

left rear camber: -1.28
right rear camber: -1.24
toe: 1.7mm

we'll see if that makes any difference in wear - i'll post back the results in 2k miles or so

Last edited by pao; Mar 12, 2010 at 11:23 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

You are correct that your original settings are not bad at all. However, for your cupping issue, I'd try 0 toe all around instead adding more.

If you are running spec-R springs, I also question the need for your weight compensation. Were you in the car when they were setting it or did they just guess that such an amount of diff from side to side was needed. When I set mine, I actually sat in the car. When I got out, there was no change in the settings (I have spec-r too). The springs are too stiff to care about my 180Lbs.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree with xtnct. I would have gone with zero toe.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 02:22 PM
Evolving Member

pao, how do you tires feel in the wet since you swapped side to side? I'm considering doing this after alignment check and rims balanced. Same issue, drivers side only.
Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:00 PM
pao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by avo3vom
pao, how do you tires feel in the wet since you swapped side to side? I'm considering doing this after alignment check and rims balanced. Same issue, drivers side only.
no noticeable differences when swapped side to side in dry conditions.

they have a higher tendency to hydroplane through standing water.

last week i was driving through Olympia when it was pouring down and wow... spooky because the tires felt like they were floating even when they didn't loose traction. so be careful if you do swap them side to side and it's wet out
Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:04 PM
pao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by xtnct
You are correct that your original settings are not bad at all. However, for your cupping issue, I'd try 0 toe all around instead adding more.

If you are running spec-R springs, I also question the need for your weight compensation. Were you in the car when they were setting it or did they just guess that such an amount of diff from side to side was needed. When I set mine, I actually sat in the car. When I got out, there was no change in the settings (I have spec-r too). The springs are too stiff to care about my 180Lbs.
interesting, i did not sit in the car so it would have been a guess on their part after i told them my weight - i'm about 130 so it shouldn't do much in my case
Old Mar 12, 2010, 05:05 PM
pao
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
I agree with xtnct. I would have gone with zero toe.
definitely an option - i'll try that in a few weeks
Old Jul 23, 2013, 11:14 AM

I got my 2011 GSR new and within the first 2k miles all my tires were cupped beyond. I had the yoko advans that come stock. Is that a common issue that anyone knows of?