Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.
View Poll Results: Which would you chose...?
Cusco Zero2R
42.22%
Tein RA
13.33%
JIC - FLTA2
44.44%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Looking for people with upper end coilover experience...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2003, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for people with upper end coilover experience...

I'm going to be adding a set of coilovers over the winter, and am looking for opinions on what will suit my needs best...

I've narrowed my choices down to...

a. Cusco Zero2R
b. Tein RA
c. JIC FLTA2

I'm kinda leaning towards the Cusco at the moment, but am looking for anyones experiences with any of these... I really like the JIC as well...

How do they hold up over time...?

I'm not looking for any kinda "comfort" here... these are for ***** out driving... so you know what i am looking for...

Zeal was an option as well, but the pricing on those is way up there, and i think that these other 3 will exceed my needs as is...
Old Nov 4, 2003, 10:33 AM
Evolving Member

Diesel,

When you say "***** out driving" what do you really mean? Will you be doing sprited street driving, auto-x, road course events, rallycross, or drag racing?

If it is primarily street driving, the brand will not matter that much as the products have similar qualities for stress put on them on the street. However, the picture changes a little when you go into other forms of driving. For example, if you will rallycross, I would add DMS into your short list.

Any how, I voted my opinion within your choices. Good luck.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 11:24 AM
Evolved Member

i will be doing auto-xing starting next spring...

nothing on the street could really be condidered "***** out"...

it will not be rallycross...
Old Nov 4, 2003, 12:10 PM
In Timeout

Dude get ohlins there by far the best. The jic and the Tein feel like pogo sticks while driving.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Naa get the JICs D!!~!~!~!

Im having mine set up by John Mueller of Road Race Engineering. From the words around the forums, he is THE suspension tuning guy. He is sending me a set that is pre configed for my 17x8.5 wheels. I will let you know how they turn out when I get them... email - john@roadraceengineering.com
Old Nov 4, 2003, 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Diesel
i will be doing auto-xing starting next spring...

nothing on the street could really be condidered "***** out"...

it will not be rallycross...
Then, my initial vote is still valid, I would highly recommend JICs.

However, you have to think about your classification. If you get coilovers, you cannot be in stock class, you have to be in Street Prepared at least, and we don't yet know if the Evo is staying in ESP or get bumped to BSP.

TEIN's woud be very nice as well, but you cannot have the EDFC. If you do, you are automatically in the Street Modified class in auto-x, and you will need serious additional mods to your engine and chassis to be competitive in there
Old Nov 4, 2003, 10:50 PM
In Timeout

Re: Looking for people with upper end coilover experience...

So do you take your car to a road race course? If not you are just looking for the drop? Stock is fine for ANY street driving and autocrosing. If you are going to change it what do you want "fixed" with the change? What is wrong with it now?

Originally posted by Diesel
I'm going to be adding a set of coilovers over the winter, and am looking for opinions on what will suit my needs best...

I've narrowed my choices down to...

a. Cusco Zero2R
b. Tein RA
c. JIC FLTA2

I'm kinda leaning towards the Cusco at the moment, but am looking for anyones experiences with any of these... I really like the JIC as well...

How do they hold up over time...?

I'm not looking for any kinda "comfort" here... these are for ***** out driving... so you know what i am looking for...

Zeal was an option as well, but the pricing on those is way up there, and i think that these other 3 will exceed my needs as is...

Last edited by 2fast2Furious; Nov 4, 2003 at 10:52 PM.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 04:06 AM
Evolved Member

I have to ask - how much autox experience do you have? I'll be honest with you.

The Evo suspension is a very complex animal. Even getting springs (as you have) will change its handling characteristics. My recommendation is to stick with stock, and start autoxing A LOT. Get a feel for the stock suspension, what its limits are, and where it needs work.

After that, THEN go for coilovers, because then you'll know what kinda setup you need and what adjustments need to be made to make the handling better than stock.

I've been seeing a lot of people buying coilovers for the bling factor, then lowering the car and killing the car's cornering ability. Save your money for tires until you know your car inside and out. Then go for the coilovers.

Just my .02. But I recommend the Ohlins. Their coilovers are second to none.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 06:40 PM
In Timeout

are you guys on drugs jic for tracking the car???? if money is no option get the ohlins.
Old Nov 5, 2003, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by leaveit2bevo1
are you guys on drugs jic for tracking the car???? if money is no option get the ohlins.
settle down beavith!!!

Not everyone can afford Ohlins or NEED Ohlins...
Old Nov 5, 2003, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

have you looked into the DMS 50's? i had a set on my Subie RST and was amazed at the quality and adjustablility

Tom
Old Nov 5, 2003, 11:42 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by leaveit2bevo1
How much are the ohlins anyway?
Old Nov 6, 2003, 12:20 AM
Evolved Member

I am really happy with my JICs so far. I do not autocross, but I spent most of the summer doing track days. I installed my JICs just before the end of the season, and was only able to get a couple of testing days and one full track day in.

If you set them up right, they will defenitely increase your max cornering grip still give near-stock break-away charecteristics when you push too hard. They also cut my initial understeer noticeably and have greatly reduced my car's body roll.
Old Nov 6, 2003, 08:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by tom@kartboy
have you looked into the DMS 50's? i had a set on my Subie RST and was amazed at the quality and adjustablility

Tom
Tom,

The DMS units are truly incredable units, very high quality, double adjustable, and engineered with a lot of research.

However, for Diesel's purposes they are overkill; especially the 50 mm setup. The 40 mm setup would be better, but visually, you can hardly tell that they reduce ride height.

But, still, if I had the money, personally I would bet on DMS
Old Nov 6, 2003, 11:41 AM
e8
Evolving Member

Zeal Super Functions

Quick Reply: Looking for people with upper end coilover experience...