Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

How do you remove air from ABS

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2010, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How do you remove air from ABS

This is my first outreach to the Evo community for help with my Evolution 8 race car. A mistake was made (during brake bleeding) that allowed air to enter from the rear brakes into the ABS pump. My pedal is low now and we have tried bleeding manually and with low pressure brake bleeding bottles without success. A Mitsubishi service manager said that they do not have a program to cycle the pump. I have been told the BMW E 36 cars had a means to cycle the pump to flush any trapped air. Does anybody have knowledge about this. Could you please help me to remedy this condition. My race engineer/mechanic friend would like to remove the ABS pump entirely from the car, but I still would like to continue using the ABS which was a very good braking system. Thanks Dave Fazzino NASA super touring racer #101
Old Jul 19, 2010, 08:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately, Dave, I do not have a direct answer for you. However, I found an older thread that mentioned having to use a 'scan tool.'

Here's the thread, however it was inconclusive and may not be helpful. Good luck.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...how-bleed.html
Old Dec 25, 2010, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I understand this post is very old but I'd like to contribute. I have used a scan tool to cycle abs while bleeding both manually and with a Motive pressure bleeder with no luck. When the abs cycles, fluid flow stops through the abs pump, so it doesn't seem to help remove air. So you just have to bleed a lot of fluid through the system and then drive it and then get to bleeding again. One trick I am using is to bleed to outside of the caliper, then the inside and then the outside again before going to the next corner. I seem to be able to find a little air on the outside almost every time. But I do feel your pain, sometimes the bleeding is easy and everything is great and then sometimes it can take 3-4L of fluid and they still feel like crap.

One other thing, after switching to 2 piece DBA brake rotors, CL brake pads and custom 3" cooling ducts, I don't boil over the fluid anymore so I don't bleed as much and don't have as many issues.

Dan