Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2005, 12:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got the Clunking too. It's on the front Passenger side suspension. It's annoying as ever, and I'm going to get it looked at when head to the dealer for service.

Jeff
Old Mar 10, 2005, 06:18 AM
Former Sponsor

haha i feel like a dope. i had the horrible horrible clunking so i went outside with my video camera and microphone. i set it up all nice right beside the speed bump in front of my apartment (and just the night before i drove over it and cringed from the terrible clunking sound). so of course i drive over the speed bump and there is no more clunking. its as if it fixed itself overnight. and i had the problem for a solid week of it getting worse and worse. now, nothing, just like new! i'm at a loss as to what it could have been. possibly the rock idea that someone had, with rocks stuck in the spring...
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:16 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, I really think that idea is very possible, mine goes on and off all the time, and it's not with temperature changes either... I think rocks getting caught are very very possible
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:19 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by UT_Evo
Yeah, I really think that idea is very possible, mine goes on and off all the time, and it's not with temperature changes either... I think rocks getting caught are very very possible
possibly, but I still get my clunking.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Kick it 5 times, turn around, do a back flip, and then punch yourself out while holding your keys in your open hand, then the clunking will go away...

I think there's a million and two reasons it clunks, creaks, and pops, and almost all of them are normal... I've heard stock suspension that sounds worse than mine, and I've heard the same JIC coilovers as mine that sound way better...
Old Mar 10, 2005, 09:26 AM
Evolved Member

Kick it 5 times, turn around, do a back flip, and then punch yourself out while holding your keys in your open hand, then the clunking will go away...

I think there's a million and two reasons it clunks, creaks, and pops, and almost all of them are normal... I've heard stock suspension that sounds worse than mine, and I've heard the same JIC coilovers as mine that sound way better...
Well I"m already living with it so I guess it will have to stay.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 02:01 PM
Evolved Member

I can't even hear mine, couple o' JL Audio speakers, amps, and a sub... What clunking?
Old Mar 10, 2005, 05:40 PM
Evolved Member

I can't even hear mine, couple o' JL Audio speakers, amps, and a sub... What clunking?
Good 'ol JL. I used to have 2 12" JLw6's. I could never hear anything.
Old Mar 10, 2005, 07:14 PM
Evolved Member

My car makes so many noises, I think I'd go crazy without it (the stereo), it's bad enough having a boost gauge and seeing boost change with temperature...
Old Mar 12, 2005, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

sigh.... guess i am not the only one here..... now i have those 'eok....eok' sound from my ayc.... sigh...
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Anyone ever figure the thing out? I also get it every now and then. It sounds to me as though it was a bushing rubbing metal. It will be totally quiet one day and the next it will do it constantly then be totally quiet the next. Back and forth. It is annoying as I drive down the street in my 30k hooptie...

bryan
Old Mar 31, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bryans2k
Anyone ever figure the thing out? I also get it every now and then. It sounds to me as though it was a bushing rubbing metal. It will be totally quiet one day and the next it will do it constantly then be totally quiet the next. Back and forth. It is annoying as I drive down the street in my 30k hooptie...

bryan
yes it can be annoying when you pull up somewhere you here this *CLUNK*. Mine happens so often now I'm starting to get use to it. I've already taken it to Mitsu more then enough and they don't seem to help. I'm starting to hear it more in the rear now that I come to think about it, but I still have my front clunk as well.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 01:01 PM
Evolving Member

SO no miracle cure here aaahhh ??
Old Apr 1, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolved Member

No ONE problem, but there's a solution for each one
Old Apr 3, 2005, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05evoGSR
Ok i am a little confused, i do not have an evo yet but am getting one and from what i am reading here i should be looking forward to this damn clunking noise. Now from what i have read, it seems that people have done different things to eliminate this problem.(putting rubber in shock mounts, wrapping hose around bottom coil of spring, changing to pillow mounts, messing with the sway bar ends, and now recently the stabilizer link) Logically if the noise if coming from one specific spot, there should only be one way to fix it. Either there are several problems people are having and we are thinking it is one, or it is one problem but since we are messing with things its temporarily going away. Example: has someone just taken out the spring, then reinstalled without touching anything and see if the problem went away? Or another example, if there is a loose wire in a dashboard and a light is flickering, of course you bang the dash and it usually goes away or changes. I think this could be possibly what is happening here. I think we need people to perform certain procedures and see what the result is and post it. Ex: spray some WD-40 on a certain spot(small amount) and drive the car and see if the noise goes away by possible lubricating the spot that could be shifting or moving so it wont make the noise, if not try another spot and so on. Or maybe jack the car up, then lower the car back down and see if it goes away, this will let the people know that the shock they just replaced when the car was jacked up and said it went away might not of been the problem at all. Just some thoughts I figured I would throw out here. Let me know if anyone comes to any conclusions.
Well i got my 05 GSR 1/31 and everything was ok till 3 days ago when i started to hear the clunking in the passenger side front suspension. I have only heard it a few times since but im guessing its gonna get worse : (

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??