Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone?.. any feedbacks..

I'm getting worried...
Old Jan 28, 2004, 07:30 AM
choad

Just take it in to a reputable joint and have them check for play and what not..

I think the suspension and shock travel suffers with the extreme cold..

And perhaps the issues above help contribute to that..

Who knows, I'm no tech so the shop will have to see whats up!
Old Jan 29, 2004, 07:18 PM
Evolved Member

I'm getting the sound from my driverside front shock. Thinking about taking it to the dealer soon. grrr what a pain in the butt
Old Jan 29, 2004, 09:19 PM
Evolving Member

I've got the clunk in my Front Drivers side and Front Passenger side too. Over particular bumps only, and i hear it on smooth tar with the slight variences (u know what i mean??). its going into the dealership tomorrow. ill post back after its fixed, because I know for damn sure its not normal
Old Jan 30, 2004, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

voodooutt and caymandiver75
I would greatly appreciate if you guys would post the feedback
from dealer here..!!

Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 01:23 AM
bme

I have recently heard the same noise coming from my car. Was told it has something to with the rubber brackets fitted to the coil springs of the car. If you bent down and looked carfeull at the spring you will notice two rubber brackets fitted to it. These brackets are suppose to give the Evo a firmer ride. Funny thing is not entirely sure if it effects the left side of the car as well. Will check with a Rally Mechanic I know and keep you guys posted...
Old Jan 30, 2004, 01:26 AM
bme

Please, please we definitely need more feedback on this...!!!
Old Jan 30, 2004, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Dropping the car off at the stealer next wednesday while i'm off on a ski trip. Hope when I get back it will be fixed and I'll fill you all in on the outcome.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 08:34 AM

Hey BME,

The rubber bits your talking about, they wouldn't happen to be the blocks that are put in at the factory soley for shipping purposes would they?

The only other rubber I can think that would be there would be at the top and the bottom of the spring to keep the spring from rotating.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 11:12 AM
choad

Just talked to service manager at a Mits dealer..

No surprise, he said he recieved a TSB on this and it is being described by Mitsu Corporate as "normal sounds from a suspension geared for sporty driving.."

Seems to be the case with ALL of the items thus far on the EVO, eh?
Old Jan 30, 2004, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

I just got back from the dealership and they basically said "It is a normal noise from a tightly wound suspension" they also tried to blame me hitting something because there was a slight nick out of the wheel.

****ers.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 05:42 PM

It looks like swings and misses again with one more customer service issue. I was cautiously optimistic that we would hear a different answer than the standard "it's a normal sound", but once again I was wrong about and there special ways of dealing with their products.
Old Jan 30, 2004, 09:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Mr.Sparkle
It looks like swings and misses again with one more customer service issue. I was cautiously optimistic that we would hear a different answer than the standard "it's a normal sound", but once again I was wrong about and there special ways of dealing with their products.
this is the 3rd time they have done this to me with the "normal noise" crap. I am not going to buy another again. I am getting sick of thier **** and trying to make me look like I am a stupid **** and blaming ME on THIER mistakes.

You know god damn well at a BMW or Mercades etc. etc. dealership they would take a very close look at the customer complaints and not just blow over stuff like this, and the ****ed up thing is the service rep HEARD THE NOISE CLEAR AS DAY, and the mechanic said he can't find anyhting loose after looking at it for 15 mins. I got the car back and the service rep said "its fixed" im LIKE COOL... first bump out of the lot... CLUNK... im like **** this.. i drove right back in there and told them its still there... i could keep going on... but you know how it is.

Last edited by voodooutt; Jan 30, 2004 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2004, 08:09 PM

Hey voodooutt,

I see that your in Irvine. Which dealer(s) did you present this problem to?

I got the run around at both Costa Mesa and Hunington.

I can't think of a single production car made today, other than our Evo's, that have any suspsension clunk that is "normal".
Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

I really dont want to say. I've called the 1-800 number and complained. Funny thing is that day there was an "undercover" rep from H.Q. that said ANY problems with dealership / warranty issues GIVE THE NUMBER A CALL, so I did. I hope this will get some results. The rep basically said they are cracking down on this B.S. which is good.

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??