Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2012, 09:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by elim0
my car progressively gets worse til a certain point after a few days where it will consistently clunk/knock until it is checked or played with which will remove the knocking for a couple days, until it progressively comes back. for now it has seemed to gone. i am thinking possibly something with the swaybar/swaybar link, maybe has play and hits something ? .. if the knocking returns i will have the links replaced ~

just want to enjoy driving my evo lol!! #drainmylife
Elim0, have you tried installing a good set of stock front struts?? Don't waste money buying random parts when you don't rule out the suspension as faulty first. My clunk is exatly like you describe it, it's go away when I lift the car or tighten the top nut, but comes back after a few miles or days... I installed stock suspension and the noise is completely gone, so my PSS9 are going to bilstein to get rebuild or replaced.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
Elim0, have you tried installing a good set of stock front struts?? Don't waste money buying random parts when you don't rule out the suspension as faulty first. My clunk is exatly like you describe it, it's go away when I lift the car or tighten the top nut, but comes back after a few miles or days... I installed stock suspension and the noise is completely gone, so my PSS9 are going to bilstein to get rebuild or replaced.
hmm i can always get my friends stock 8MR shocks to test but the 3 workshops i've had my car taken to have all claimed my shocks are fine, with the fist one taking it apart and cleaning it/re-oil to remove 'stiction' ?? and the most recent one having run it on a shock absorber test at pedders suspension workshop where the mech said my swaybar links had the most movement and were the only part that was noticeably worn.....
Old Aug 6, 2012, 07:14 PM
Evolving Member

wahhh I'm getting a clunking/ticking type noise in my front PS. Megan coilovers are less than a year old and it has new wheel bearings, and inner/outter tie rods as well.

Clunk can be heard when turning the wheel to the left and moving slowly over small bumps. It happens more when the wheel is turned though.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 05:02 AM
Evolving Member

Question

Originally Posted by Evoardo IX
Evorado, i jackd the car up today with my friend and again, couldn't find anything unusual or out of place, although as we let the jack down moments before the car returns to normal height i hear a click/tick/creeking where my left shock is(towards the top). my friend suspects that top nut you were talking about, if not the shock. i will be putting stock suspension on to see if it is the culprit, then otherwise changing that bolt you changed. what SIZE nut was it on the top of the pss9 so i can get it from a hardwhere store ?? also how did you get it off without taking the whole shock off, as that rubber seal sort of bit is in the way to unscrew the bolt :S

also besides sending your shocks to bilstein, have you had any other suspension component replaced to no success (ie. swaybarlink, bushes etc) ?

hopefully my shocks are fine as i am stumped to think how the noise/feeling of the clunk transfers over a very long drive to the opposite side a little(appearing to be something connecting both sides together) , possible noise transferring to the shock from somewhere else?...........

Last edited by elim0; Aug 7, 2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old Aug 7, 2012, 05:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SRT4toEVO
wahhh I'm getting a clunking/ticking type noise in my front PS. Megan coilovers are less than a year old and it has new wheel bearings, and inner/outter tie rods as well.

Clunk can be heard when turning the wheel to the left and moving slowly over small bumps. It happens more when the wheel is turned though.

if its a ticking/clicking noise, it could be your cv joints. otherwise seems you've done your bearing i'd be outta ideas and you may be in the same boat as many of us
Old Aug 15, 2012, 07:50 AM
Evolving Member

okay so still no success. a shop has recommended i change my swaybar links. i have read on a few threads and people always mention to change them, but I HAVE YET to read of someone solving the problem by changing their swaybar links.... does anyone know if this could even be the solution ??
Old Aug 16, 2012, 06:35 AM
Evolving Member

I just changed my struts and upon inspection indeed the tophats were damaged by the previous owner, the struts were leaking and the bumpstops were squashed almost all the way through... so that means it was way lower that it was stock. The car does not make nearly as much noise as it did before but there is still a noise in there somewhere i suspect it might be those front swaybar bushings and endlinks.

I have done the master bushing kit expect for the front sway bar bushings.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
okay so still no success. a shop has recommended i change my swaybar links. i have read on a few threads and people always mention to change them, but I HAVE YET to read of someone solving the problem by changing their swaybar links.... does anyone know if this could even be the solution ??
I had clunking in the front of my lancer oz while turning. I jacked the car up to see if i could find the problem. Driver side sway bar end link was broke and passenger side was about ready to break. I replaced both sides, only like $20 for both sides. This completely fixed my problem.
Old Aug 17, 2012, 08:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
I had clunking in the front of my lancer oz while turning. I jacked the car up to see if i could find the problem. Driver side sway bar end link was broke and passenger side was about ready to break. I replaced both sides, only like $20 for both sides. This completely fixed my problem.
my clunk is very unusual. it has progressively gotten worse over time, but everytime a workshop inspects it and check/tighten everything the problem goes away but will always come back after a few days progressively. though all of them have said my shocks are fine this week i will switch them for stocks and if that fails i will prob give the endlinks a go.. $20 ?? so cheap.. are they jst for standard ones ?
Old Aug 19, 2012, 11:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
is the clunking mainly when you turn? all your endlinks are, is a bolt with a couple rubber bushings and metal washers. it connects the swaybar to the control arm.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 06:28 AM

I bought a new top mount for mine as the bearing was loose. Made no difference at all to the clunking noise.

So with my hand on the top hat I bounced the car up and down and I could feel the suspension "sticking". i.e. it wasn't responding immediately, it felt like the piston of the shock was sticking.

SO I jacked it up to expose as much piston of the shock as I could and then hit it with some WD40 to wash any debris off and greased the piston round the bottom.

No clunking noise now, none at all. Easy fix.
Old Aug 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
is the clunking mainly when you turn? all your endlinks are, is a bolt with a couple rubber bushings and metal washers. it connects the swaybar to the control arm.
the clunking happens at all speeds up to 60km/h or so, going straight, turning, but mainly taking off, and slowing down is it most noticeable.

if the rubbers are worn will it have a chance it is hitting the swaybar/control arm and makin the noise ? ...... also in AUS whiteline swaybar links are $150 aud, and some others a little cheaper but still 100+

to be honest over the past couple months the noise has predominately been coming from the left hand side, but after the last couple times i jackd the car up it feels like its under my feet (JDM evo / right hand side) so i am really thinking its not the shocks. i ve had 3 shops look at it and one of them even serviced my shocks (dismantle clean and re-oil, shock test etc) and have confirmed my shocks are good.
one shop diagnoised my swaybar links as been bounced on a shock absorber machine to have the most play in them , so i am still waiting to change them.
Old Aug 21, 2012, 03:07 AM

the clunking happens at all speeds up to 60km/h or so, going straight, turning, but mainly taking off, and slowing down is it most noticeable.

if the rubbers are worn will it have a chance it is hitting the swaybar/control arm and makin the noise ? ...... also in AUS whiteline swaybar links are $150 aud, and some others a little cheaper but still 100+

to be honest over the past couple months the noise has predominately been coming from the left hand side, but after the last couple times i jackd the car up it feels like its under my feet (JDM evo / right hand side) so i am really thinking its not the shocks. i ve had 3 shops look at it and one of them even serviced my shocks (dismantle clean and re-oil, shock test etc) and have confirmed my shocks are good.
one shop diagnoised my swaybar links as been bounced on a shock absorber machine to have the most play in them , so i am still waiting to change them.
Exactly what my problem WAS.
Old Sep 10, 2012, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

OMG I have the clunk/pop!
Old Sep 10, 2012, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superkizuna
OMG I have the clunk/pop!
welcome to the club

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??