Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Clunking front end noise??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2004, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MN101565

Thats the part number you requested pace. If you or any one else needs part numbers please PM me w/ details and I'll get you the part number.
Old Apr 23, 2004, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

same part number as the lovely jdm EVo8 Front Strut. More comfortable than the E7's!!

hmmm.....
Old Apr 24, 2004, 05:25 AM
choad

When I switched my rubber from the Advans to the Conti Extremes for winter, the noise and vibration was almost immediate...

I remember thinking, hmm. Whats up with that. Maybe the suspension is "settling" because the car was up in the air on the lift..

Then it went away, came back, went away, etc.

Anxious to see what the dealer says next Wed.
Old Apr 24, 2004, 10:47 PM

Originally posted by JustDSM
MN101565

Thats the part number you requested pace. If you or any one else needs part numbers please PM me w/ details and I'll get you the part number.
Thanks, Justin. Mitsubishiparts.net lists at $216. Not outrageous, but not exactly 'cheap'. And better than Mitsu's list at $280.

-Pace
Old Apr 25, 2004, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Give Conicelli Mitsu a call. They have a long standing reputation with the DSM guys for providing the best prices on Mitsu parts. Their online catalog does not yet have the EVO part numbers, but give them a call and tell them you want the "club DSM discount".

I replaced EVERY nut/bolt in the engine compartment on my '93 TSi when I did the motor swap.. Their prices afforded me the opportunity to spice up the engine compartment.. Definately give them a call before you buy anywhere else.
Old May 20, 2004, 09:36 PM
Evolved Member

I pulled my strut and looked at the spring, the bottom coils were rubbing. I sprayed it with lithum grease and the sound decreased significatly but not completely. I'm gonna try to put a peice of urethane in there or something to stop the rubbing completely. I have a pic but its too big to upload, PM me ur email if u wanna see it.
Old May 22, 2004, 03:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just an update, my noise still hasn't come back after the dealer tech put the rubber hose, end link, and spring perch in. Even my rear clunking has now vanished. I noticed my suspension feels a lot smoother after taking it to a couple track days and some autocross events, not to mention endless canyon carving. I have over 15K miles on it now.

There seems to be more than one source of the clunk for you guys. When I saw the spring on my car, it was _blatantly_ obvious where the spring was rubbing. When the hose was new, there was a slightly audible "squeek" from the rubber under the same conditions it previously clunked. Now if there is no evidence of the spring rubbing (it's obvious if you look, the paint will be gone and probably rust colored metal will be showing) then there is definitely another clunk source. Damn I'm wordy for 3:37am, or maybe that's the reason...
Old Jun 14, 2004, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to ressurect an old thread, but i just noticed a clunking noise tonight when backing in my driveway. only it didn't sound like it came from a corner so i don't think it's the suspension. instead. i was backing up (in a straight line) and when I pushed the clutch in there was a "clunk". sounded like either a differential or the clutch. is this possible? have quite a few mods on the car, with stock clutch, and 10k miles. no problems with ANYTHING at all so far, so i'm not sure what it could be. any thoughts?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

The sound that you are describing is normal. It is coming from the driveshaft. This is caused when you are loading the diff. ring and pinion. Its the freeplay/ backlash of the gears.
Old Sep 13, 2004, 11:51 PM
Evolved Member

i got the clunking after a car wash... around 13k miles.... dealer said he heard it but said i shouldnt worry about it.

freakin dealers..
im going to take it to another place to see if i get the same bs response
BUDLoNG
Old Sep 25, 2004, 04:03 PM

I have this same sound. Noticed it when i was in GA (the roads on Fort Benning suck bad). Took it to Jay Mitsu and all teh EVO mech could find was the front plastic skid plate was loose in the middle. He showed me and even took it for a drive and hit all the suspension parts with a rubber mallet and nothing is loose. The plate is held on with plastic fasteners and he said it's normal fro them to sag after a while but it wasn't gonna fall off or anything.
Old Oct 2, 2004, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

i too have this problem right after i got my vii. this is pissing me off too! had it on the driver's side, and after fitting the S-Tech, its now only the passenger side.....sigh...
Old Oct 21, 2004, 05:22 AM
Evolving Member

YEAY!. i'm one of the Clunkers now. Noticed it yesterday morning, and it's gotten progressively worse as the day wore on. Today though.. it's not as bad..

From reading this long-but-informative post, it sounds like it's definetly got something to do with the strut/spring configuration.

Is there anyone out there with aftermarket coilovers that has this sound? i've been thinking of Teins for the spring, .. will this solve my problem?

Taking it to the dealer is a last resort for me.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:47 AM

I experienced a nice clunk in my front left wheel area Friday, took it to the shop today, took the tech for a spin, he put it up on a lift and pointed out where my front sway bar has apparently bent and is now rubbing against the frame. Ain't this a *****? I mean, yes my car has 30k miles on it and I get to drive it on the glorious roads of east/southeast PA, but it seems to me this is not something that should be happening to a car with rally developed tech throughout. They're telling me I need a new sway bar and new pins for each end. Anyone else had this?

So now my question is this: Do I hit up neo-conicelli for a replacement original sway bar that's already boinked me after 30k, or should I step up to the Cusco?
Old Nov 1, 2004, 11:57 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by webguy330i
I hope most of you realize that the insane amount of speculation occurring in this thread will not apply to 99.999999% of the clunking incidents you, a friend, or your friend's hampster may experience.

If you have a serious issue with it, take it to the dealer per the previous posts... mine, personally, isn't bad enough for me to b*tch about yet, so I'll sit tight.
Well it has gotten so bad as of late that I am taking it in Wednesday. How's everyone's experience with stevens creek mitsu? They seem more than aloof.

Quick Reply: Clunking front end noise??