Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Swift Springs long term review.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2010, 11:59 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just installed my Swift R's I like them so far, now I want to get them on some scales to see if I got as good fo results as you did.

Good to see a track guy uses these as well since I plan to get some track time in this car....
Old Oct 21, 2010, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

Great write-up!

I've been running Swift Spec-R's on Bilstein HD's for about a year and a half now. I have been extremely pleased with them. They are great on the street, fine for AutoX and did great on a few track days. I think that I have at least another season (probably two or three) before I outgrow this setup. I think many people jump into coilover setups, when a Bilstein/Swift combo may suit their needs.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by 06RS
Great write-up!

I've been running Swift Spec-R's on Bilstein HD's for about a year and a half now. I have been extremely pleased with them. They are great on the street, fine for AutoX and did great on a few track days. I think that I have at least another season (probably two or three) before I outgrow this setup. I think many people jump into coilover setups, when a Bilstein/Swift combo may suit their needs.
Are you running the MR Swift Spec R's or the regular Spec R's on the Bilstein HD's?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 04:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 41 Likes on 40 Posts
Is it appropriate task what sort of gains can be had for revalving bilsteins to either swift or gtworx ? What doesn't the stock valving supply for these?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Wondering the same thing.

I'm not driving the evo competitively or even putting it on the track till I own it. Is it really worththe extra money to revalve if I'm daily and some weekend jaunts?
I drove a rear biased Honda for a long time and do not want to deal with low speed oscillation in this car.
I believe that at the limits, one with some suspension knowledge could tell the difference but if I'm not seeing the limit, can I just get away with putting on some GTWorx, align it and call it a day?
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:31 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Revalving is not necessary....I would do it if I'm tracking/autoxing the car a bunch OR if my bilsteins were getting old and crusty. The standad Bilstein valving is very good, especially for the street. This goes for our GTWORX springs and Swifts for that matter. It makes more of a difference for Spec R's, but still not a requirement IMO.

- Andrew
Old Oct 29, 2010, 07:48 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
^ Beat me to it.

If racing or competitive events (SCCA/NASA) -- I would (and I did). Matching for rates makes it a total package. Reb/comp fine tuned for the rates. Gets the most out if it. Which you need from every part when at that level.

Daily driver - I would not revalve until the struts needed rebuilding after a few seasons or if you have a well used. Easier to send them to Bilstein for a month and then install as fresh parts.

Swifts and GTWorx where developed to work on the OE struts -- out of the box (no mods to struts) they work very well.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 09:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Has anyone contemplated cutting a half of a coil off the top of the front springs on the Swift Spec-R's? I would like to lower the front of the Evo by another 3/8" - 1/2". Any experiences on this?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 04:33 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Do not cut the coils on any spring.

There is a reason they are -1.4 in lower. That is just about the maximum you can go before you get into the struts constraints. Which is one big reason why the Tein S are terrible. They ride on the bump stops. Remember, struts do not care where they stroke from. The DO care about bottoming out.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 07:12 AM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks, I just figured I'd ask for the record.
Old Nov 1, 2010, 09:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by smikeevo
do not cut the coils on any spring.

There is a reason they are -1.4 in lower. That is just about the maximum you can go before you get into the struts constraints. Which is one big reason why the tein s are terrible. They ride on the bump stops. Remember, struts do not care where they stroke from. The do care about bottoming out.

very good advice!! Never cut springs
Old Nov 5, 2010, 10:41 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks Woodstock for the review. I've yet to install my Spec Rs cause I'm debating on switching out the KYBs for Bilsteins. Because of your review I may run them on the KYBs and switch to Bilstein HDs when the KYBs go.

By the way what rotors are you running?
Old Nov 5, 2010, 03:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SmikeEvo
^ Beat me to it.

If racing or competitive events (SCCA/NASA) -- I would (and I did). Matching for rates makes it a total package. Reb/comp fine tuned for the rates. Gets the most out if it. Which you need from every part when at that level.

Daily driver - I would not revalve until the struts needed rebuilding after a few seasons or if you have a well used. Easier to send them to Bilstein for a month and then install as fresh parts.

Swifts and GTWorx where developed to work on the OE struts -- out of the box (no mods to struts) they work very well.
Where would I send my struts out to? I have the Swift Spec R's for my IX MR. If and when my struts go, who would I send them to to repair and revalve them?

Thanks!
Old Nov 5, 2010, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

I dropped mine off here:

Thyssen Krupp Bilstein-America
14102 Stowe Drive
Poway, CA 92064-7147
(858) 386-5900

And best of all, turn around time was 8 days from the day i dropped it off to the day it arrived onto my porch!
Old Nov 5, 2010, 03:46 PM
Evolving Member

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/s...e/service.html

Dont forget to fill out the Repair Order instructions form and enclose it with your struts/shocks. My front struts and rear shocks were rebuilt and revalved to match swift spec r final spring rates.

Quick Reply: Swift Springs long term review.