Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Replaced front wheel bearing....still has bad noise

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2010, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replaced front wheel bearing....still has bad noise

I have been having a loud humming sound comming from the right front wheel for some time now. I finally got fed up with it and decided to replace the wheel bearing.

When i would drive the car......if i turned the wheel to the left the sound would stop....back to the right or straight a loud humming noise. I was told it was more than likely the wheel bearing.

Well to make a long story short i replaced the wheel bearing and i still have the exact noise...

Help me out........what is my next step
Old Oct 26, 2010, 04:59 PM
Evolved Member

From the way you describe it, it sounds like you replaced the wrong wheel bearing. If the noise is coming from the right front wheel bearing, if would get louder when you turn left.

If the sounds goes away when you turn left, the right side is loaded, thus making the noise louder. Same goes for the opposite side.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:11 PM
Evolved Member

no this is NOT road or tire noise.... dead giveaway of bad wheel bearing is noise distinctly disappearing during transfer of weight to one side.

your symptom of turning to left (and noising disappearing) means wheel bearing is on left. weight is transfering to right and load is off the bad bearing. i had this exact same symptom, issue fixed with replacing driver side front bearing.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:19 PM

and as a side note: if replacing all that fails, start looking at the diff bearings........personal experience....
Old Oct 26, 2010, 05:25 PM

thank you for the replies......i will be replacing the other wheel bearing tommorow.

What is the chance that it might be a tie rod or ball joint that is bad?
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jmk508
thank you for the replies......i will be replacing the other wheel bearing tommorow.

What is the chance that it might be a tie rod or ball joint that is bad?
Tie rods and ball joints will cluck when they're bad.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Both of my wheel bearings where shot on the front. Willing to bet its both front bearings.
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:47 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah both my front bearings were junked too. Passenger side was replaced twice.....
Old Oct 26, 2010, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

You probably did change the wrong side, but at least now you will have two new ones.

I determined mine on a lift, put it in gear and used a stethoscope by the knuckle. And of course, the noise from the left sounded like the right side..
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:00 AM
Evolved Member

[QUOTE=jmk508;8784275When i would drive the car......if i turned the wheel to the left the sound would stop....:[/QUOTE]

his right bearing was fine, since noise stopped during left turns only. actually what shocks me is when you removed the right side(wrong side), you or mechanic should have spun it and realized it was smooth.... blows my mind!

my bearing wasnt so bad that you could detect play on the wheel BUT once you removed it, it was unmistakably gritty compared to a good condition wheel bearing if you spin it in your hands.

Last edited by mifesto; Oct 27, 2010 at 06:03 AM.
Old Oct 27, 2010, 06:28 AM

I know......kinda disapointing.

I am just hoping that replacing the drivers side bearing makes the noise go away.
Old May 23, 2015, 12:15 PM

I am having the same problem.. my humming is comming from the left and when i turn to the left it goes away..BUT i changed my left bearing and the noise is still there.. do you guys think front right or back left?
Old May 24, 2015, 08:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by KeNx242
I am having the same problem.. my humming is comming from the left and when i turn to the left it goes away..BUT i changed my left bearing and the noise is still there.. do you guys think front right or back left?
Wow, way to bring back a dead thread, LOL
Most likely it's your right side. I've almost always found it to be the opposite side of the way you turn. So if it goes away when turning left, it's usually the right side bearing.
Old May 25, 2015, 03:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Here is what a Mitsubishi Technician told me -

I had a car with a bad rear wheel bearing and it would only make noise when I slammed on the brakes unloading the bearing. I've seen wheels so loose they would move in the wind when the car was lifted and the bearings didn't make a sound. I've seen bearings that had no play and they were very noisy. You have to remember that there is a double race of bearings and either can be bad. So the loading or unloading of one side often doesn't tell you anything.

Anyway, that is what I was told, take it for what its worth.
Old May 25, 2015, 04:09 PM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
Originally Posted by MitsuJDM
Tie rods and ball joints will cluck when they're bad.
LOL old threads are fun. i'm sure OP found it to be the bearing and that's why he never reported back.

i usually just replace both at the same time. it just seems easier. i figure if one is going bad, so will the other. then they wouldn't have to worry about which is bad LOL

Quick Reply: Replaced front wheel bearing....still has bad noise