Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

9k on my IX MR SE and blown strut? no way

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i do have a aftermarket downpipe. i did some more driving diagnostics driving home from work. if i go over a bump slowly it wont do the noise and some extreme quick bumps wont do it. The car looks brand new underneath and the strut isnt leaking or anything so should i even waste my day on the stealership? when the car bounces it does the noise really...but why am i feeling the BUMP in my clutch pedal area/floor????
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:34 PM
Evolving Member

also how do you check to see if its a strut if its not leaking? i tried jacking up the control arm to compress it and it didnt make any noise
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
it's mostly likely NOT a blown strut. it's more than likely the top mount of the strut. the top's of EVO suspensions are known for making this noise. there's like 100+ threads on the issue, and I've got the same issue with my Buddy Club Racing spec coilovers. when i go over bumps it makes that noise, or when i turn. It actually stopped making the noise for 2 years, then recently came back with a vengeance. i also feel the vibration all the way through the pedals/floor.

it could also be something causing the spring to bind up.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 09:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
it's mostly likely NOT a blown strut. it's more than likely the top mount of the strut. the top's of EVO suspensions are known for making this noise. there's like 100+ threads on the issue, and I've got the same issue with my Buddy Club Racing spec coilovers. when i go over bumps it makes that noise, or when i turn. It actually stopped making the noise for 2 years, then recently came back with a vengeance. i also feel the vibration all the way through the pedals/floor.

it could also be something causing the spring to bind up.
this makes more sense. b/c ive heard blown struts before and it sounds nothing like it. i dont know what a binding sound sounds like but it really just sounds like a rubber mallet hitting my car
Old Nov 19, 2010, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
when the top part of the strut that rotates binds up, it pops loose when you turn. when you hit bumps it also makes noise as it's freeing itself up. i've had this problem for years. i know it very well. as for a solution? i haven't tried to fix it. my solution will be to replace the coilovers. in the car of yours, you could try taking it apart and greasing the moving parts, i've heard of that working, or you can have it rebuilt, or replace it.

do you have a carbon fiber hood? or are you missing your rain guard on your hood? is the car parked outside? is the area you live in humid? do you live near salt water?
Old Jan 28, 2011, 10:09 AM

endlinks are the most common cause for making a clunk noise over bumps and while turning hard. check those out. swap the left to the right and see if it changes. you could check for play but it might not be there depending