Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

9k on my IX MR SE and blown strut? no way

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:18 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
9k on my IX MR SE and blown strut? no way

blown strut no ****ing way is what im saying . my 06 IX MR SE (car is stock) makes a clunk sound when going over bumps and when i jerk the wheel to the right HARD. which kinda seems like its coming from my front right strut. i can also feel it on my floor near the foot rest CLUNK my foot it feels like. the car only has 9k and is not autoX'ed or anything . Car hasnt even seen snow and is in immaculate condition. Anyway..i checked the tie rod and the sway bar...all look fine...took off the strut bar and seemed fine and not tweaked and put it back on. I went under there with a rubber mallet and tried tapping at everything to hear try to make the noise but no luck. i know this has been discussed before but not on a IX with 9k on it! lol . any input would be greatly appreciated folks.

Sorry for lack of proper typing. did this on my phone! lol

Thanks again,
Brian

Morristown, N-NJ

Last edited by Smike; Nov 18, 2010 at 06:11 AM. Reason: let the filter filter
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:55 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
did u buy used? if so take into consideration previous owner 2step launching the crap out of it, did you check the rear out?, so many problems could exsist, blown struts can happen in the rear especially rom 2 step launches, let me know if you bought new or used.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:05 PM
Evolving Member

Used. Bought it from a friend. Car was not launched or raced. It is coming from the front right ...put a piece of wood in driveway and go over it with front of car and that makes the noise. Does it after I come off the wood not when i go on it
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
It sucks that it blew with so few miles. All it takes is a real good pothole for it to bottom out and blow. Send it into bilstein and have it rebuilt.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CantStopSpinin
Used. Bought it from a friend. Car was not launched or raced. It is coming from the front right ...put a piece of wood in driveway and go over it with front of car and that makes the noise. Does it after I come off the wood not when i go on it

sounds like the right strut might be shot out, honestly if the evo has 9k and u bought from your friend i assume he bought it brand new, i understand it is over 5 years old but not sure if the warranty works as 5 years or xx,xxx amount of miles before waranty is no go, just ask ur friend if it has a warranty still, my guess is its expired, still you can bite the bullet, take it to a shop and ask them to diagnos what the problem could be, but it more then likely would have to be a high performance shop, only other option, take them off your self, both fronts, and compare to see difference, hopefully i have helped.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:25 PM

If the car is still under warranty, bring it into the dealership and tell them you have this problem. The strut clunking is very common amongst the IX and typically the problem is fixed when the dealer re-tightens down all the suspension bolts and the frame. GL
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

I see it all of the time with cars that are hardly driven; having unusual mechanical failures. I don't have any concrete/scientific information to prove it one way or the other, but I can attest to seeing numerous cars with low miles having issues with various parts, typically ones that have a seal of some sort. That being said, the two most common issues with infrequently driven cars that I have seen personally are leaking struts and various engine seals.

That being said, you could also have a defective suspension piece that wore prematurely or you might have blown it unintentionally by driving style or road conditions.

Whichever way you look at it, as unfortunate as it is, stuff happens and your best course of action is to either pay for it out of pocket or if you have an intact warranty, use that instead.

Look at it positively though, you have a very nice, low mile, collector's car.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 10:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Does it sound like a coil binding clunk?
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is what I exactly had happen on my IX MR SE. Passenger Front had problem on me too. I switch to Stance Coilover by the chance. and I still have a problem on my passenger front. lol I just give up on that.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

He did buy it new HE Bought it late 06 bc its the SE . And I meant to say front left strut ! I'm gonna look in my manual and check
Old Nov 18, 2010, 05:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Take it in for warranty repair, the 2nd owner gets 5 year/60k mileage coverage.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:10 AM
Evolving Member

Awesome thanks ! Mike at bell mitsu owes me one too
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:13 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Its not unheard of. Struts are wear items. One good pothole could have do it too.

If the dealer wont cover, Bilsteins are rebuildable. Call Bistein USA in California.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:16 AM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
most probably, unless there is any leak on the bilstein shocks they will not find anything. most of the time when you make locked turns, the drive shaft housing hits the anti-roll bar when you hit a bump. otherwise everything should be okay. you also have the MR and sometimes it can also be the brake cooling guides hitting the anti-roll bar.

Last edited by sblvro; Nov 18, 2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:22 AM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have an aftermarket downpipe? Check clearance down the pipe also.

Quick Reply: 9k on my IX MR SE and blown strut? no way