Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Fortune Auto 500 or 510 coilovers

Old Dec 19, 2010, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fortune Auto 500 or 510 coilovers

Why shouldn't I do this to my EVO IX MR? I'm sitting on Buddy Club racing specs 10k/10k off the shelf coilovers now. I've been running them for the past 150,000 miles. I used to have problems with them making noise from the top mounts binding and breaking loose when you turn the wheel, and also from them compressing over bumps. The noises went away 100% for nearly 3 years....they just recently came back over the past few months WITH A VENGENCE. I want something better than what I have now, but I'm not looking to spend a lot on these. my car is 99% DD, 1% autocross, 0% track ....not by choice, but by work schedule.

I've been reading up on the fortune auto coilovers, and they seem like a great set especially for the price. I was all but set on a set of AST 4100's, but then I found out that they don't come with top hats, so that's another what, $500-1000 for front and rear? at that price, I might as well get Ohlins....but like I said, I'm not looking to spend $3000 on coilovers right now.

Anyway, Fortune Auto coils seem pretty good. They ran them on their trophy winning EVO with obviously great results. I can't find many good reviews from people because most of the people that order these don't seem to know what they are talking about. the extent of the reviews are, WOW, these are great because I drive them for less than 100 miles a week on the street, and they don't break my back.

that doesn't help me at all. I want something better than what I have for when I do go to the track. street comfort is secondary because with my off the shelf 10k/10k setup set at raceday stiff (damper controls) everyday, they feel just fine to me.

So can somebody tell me why I shouldn't go with these? I saw in the "Best coilover for under 1500" thread nobody would bring these up. everybody just said that ALL coilovers under 1500 sucked. These don't seem to suck. it just looks to me like nobody has enough experience with them.

Am I wrong, or could these actually be a very good option for me?
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take my advice with a grain of salt as I do not have them on my car.

that being said, I know the guys that make fortune auto, i have been in there sponsored cars, talked about the technology behind them, etc etc. I personally think they rode great, handled great, customer service is top notch. This all being said without regard to price.

it depends on what you want. I prefer very stiff suspension as it sounds you do, and I like the way these rode more so than kws. I dont want to get into the whole debate of which brands are good, which is bad etc. but from my personal experience, especially for the price, i think there great. give them a shout, they will be more than happy to speak to you about diff set ups. gl with your choice!
Old Dec 19, 2010, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

My friend has them on his MR he hasn't complained, I think they're great! If I wasn't so broke I would get them.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:00 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boostedtres
take my advice with a grain of salt as I do not have them on my car.

that being said, I know the guys that make fortune auto, i have been in there sponsored cars, talked about the technology behind them, etc etc. I personally think they rode great, handled great, customer service is top notch. This all being said without regard to price.

it depends on what you want. I prefer very stiff suspension as it sounds you do, and I like the way these rode more so than kws. I dont want to get into the whole debate of which brands are good, which is bad etc. but from my personal experience, especially for the price, i think there great. give them a shout, they will be more than happy to speak to you about diff set ups. gl with your choice!

thank you for your response. I think you may have misunderstood what I was getting at with the stiffness. I don't necessarily want the stiffest, I want what's best in the segment I'm looking at. All i was getting at is that if the setup happens to be stiff, I don't mind it because I'm more than used to a stiff setup. also the best setups usually don't feel stiff. a good suspension should be able to absorb bumps and maintain grip/control.

The other thing I'm looking for is durability. I don't want something that I've got to rebuild every 30k miles...that could be every year for me. I've gotten 150,000 miles out of my buddy clubs, and other than being noisy, they are still holding up fine. they were selling for $1800 when I bought them (got them on sale for $1500) and they've been pretty good coilovers for the money, so if it was possible to get a good coilover back then for that price, why not now?

it is good to hear from someone with first hand experience. I hope more people will chime in. I'd like to hear from some of the big guns like GT Works, Smike, and the other guys that know the most about these types of things.

Last edited by ODUB; Dec 19, 2010 at 01:03 PM.
Old Dec 19, 2010, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

gotcha. i agree, a well built set up should be able to be stiff enough for what you want but also be able to absorb bumps and feel good on the street. what I like about the fortune coils and you can have them set up for whatever valving and spring rates you want, along with the ability to have them rebuilt if needed for an affordable price, quick turnaround, and great CS.

I am just speakin from personal experience and I would be interested to hear some of the gurus chime in as well. for the price there great. AST's are also good as you know. bump for you and some more information. best of luck with you decisions and PM me if/when you decide to go with them or another company, I am in a similiar situation and wouldnt mind any more advice and first hand experience. cheers
Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I won't say one thing or another about th FA coilovers, I'd like to try them first.

I will say you really don't need camber plates and I would actually recommend using the stock tops if your driving is 99% DD, 1% autocross, 0% track.

- Andrew
Old Dec 19, 2010, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTWORX.com
I won't say one thing or another about th FA coilovers, I'd like to try them first.

I will say you really don't need camber plates and I would actually recommend using the stock tops if your driving is 99% DD, 1% autocross, 0% track.

- Andrew
I don't have the stock tops. i've got buddy club racing spec coilovers on the car now, as I said in my original post. I don't want to reuse the top hats on those because that's what's causing all of my noise now. I want all new parts.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Well I did it....went ahead and pulled the trigger on the Fortune Auto 500 series coilovers with 10k/12k rates valved for track/autocross use.

I've been on my Buddy Clubs for 150,000+ miles, hopefully I'll get that kind of reliability out of these. They should certainly do better than my off the shelf Buddy Clubs with the 10k/10k rates. I plan to have the car corner balanced when I get them put on. I never had that done with the Buddy Clubs, but I did do a good job of setting them up based on just driving, feeling, and adjusting.

I weighed the car once at an autocross and my cross weights were very good from what the suspension guys there told me. I also posted 3rd fastest time of the day on street tires behind guys on R comp slicks, and ahead of some others on R comp slicks, so I guess I didn't do too bad lol Once I get them installed and have a chance to do some driving on them I'll do my best to post a review better than "WOW these let me slam my car to the ground, and now the car feels like it's on rails!" like most of the others i've seen lol.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 12:57 PM
Evolved Member

I'd be interested in hearing your review.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 01:08 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by metalsaber
I'd be interested in hearing your review.
so am I lol...they run these on their race EVO with much success, so they should hold up well on my car. They also seem to have a lot of R&D behind these, and the look well built....we shall see. Hopefully I'll get to start doing more events, but they seem to schedule them all on the weekends that I have to work.

I'll be excited to finally get rid of the clunking and the popping lol
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've talked to the guys that make and run the FA coilovers. Like it was stated above, they seem to have done their homework and I think they're a good setup for the price. Not necessarily top notch, not made with infinite adjustability and not a super plush ride - but seem to be worth their price.

With all that said, would I order the FA in 10k/12k for 99% DD - NO. I wouldn't order anything in 10k/12k for a DD. Your car should be a lot more responsive but it's definitely going to be a bit harsher on your back and your butt!

Heck, those are the springrates I use for my car currently and it's 99% TRACK-ONLY.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
I've talked to the guys that make and run the FA coilovers. Like it was stated above, they seem to have done their homework and I think they're a good setup for the price. Not necessarily top notch, not made with infinite adjustability and not a super plush ride - but seem to be worth their price.

With all that said, would I order the FA in 10k/12k for 99% DD - NO. I wouldn't order anything in 10k/12k for a DD. Your car should be a lot more responsive but it's definitely going to be a bit harsher on your back and your butt!

Heck, those are the springrates I use for my car currently and it's 99% TRACK-ONLY.
well it's been 99% DD for the past year or so, but that's not been by choice... when I do get back out on the track, and I will, I want to be ready. I'm not too concerned with DD comfort, and as I said, the 10k/10k I've been riding on the last 5 years doesn't feel bad to me at all.
Old Dec 20, 2010, 02:34 PM
Evolved Member

Running 10k/10k on my Ohlin R&T and it actually feels better than my MR Suspension.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 08:57 AM
Evolved Member

Any updates on these?
Old Mar 30, 2011, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

i love my fortune 500's valved and sprung for aggressive street. they are awsome when i drive like a bat outta hell but slightly stiff for slow driving. I can live with that. not bouncy at all....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fortune Auto 500 or 510 coilovers