Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Godspeed Front Sway Bar

Old Jan 14, 2011, 04:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Godspeed Front Sway Bar

I purchased a Godspeed sway bar because I'm cheap and it is hollow so it was one way to drop some weight on the car and hopefully at least maintain factory roll bar stiffness.

I received the bar for $100 shipped and it included the bushings. The bar finish is junk, looks like some cheap paint that will wear off in no time. The welds are junk too. But hey, it was $100, so I wasn't expecting much.

I was expecting it to be 25.7mm in diameter though, since it was specifically advertised as such. I've heard this bar weighs 6-7 pounds, which with the advertised 25.7mm outer diameter, the numbers made sense on the bar being at least as stiff as the stock bar (23.6mm solid).

Actual specs:

24.9mm OD (uh oh, the chances of this bar being stiffer then stock just went down hill fast...)

5.4 lbs (well... it's light. It's not going to be stiffer then stock...)

I did some basic calcs to estimate the wall thickness to gauge stiffness. I have approximated the bar as having a wall thickness of 3.2mm. That's not good... Rounding off the numbers to 3mm and 3.5mm wall thickness it means the bar is either 97% or 88% as stiff as the stock bar...

***Edit: I messed up first time through my calcs and thought the bar was considerably softer then stock. I was incorrect. It is likely close to the same stiffness as stock while weighing almost 1/2 as much.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jan 15, 2011 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Because I suck
Old Jan 14, 2011, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol
dropping weight by a different sway bar? wtf man.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^

I agree. Take your spare out or something... Your not actually gonna install that thing are you?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Haha at them comments. Im with you 03
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought one about two years ago and was like yeah I thought monkeys could weld. I had it under my bed since then. I tried paying someone to take it .
Old Jan 14, 2011, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Installing that is going to be a LOT of work for is likely to be questionable performance gain. It's not even that much cheaper than the whiteline.

d

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of big front bars. But they are considerably more work that the rear, so I think you should have a clear idea on which one you want and why before going through with it.
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

I have a hotchiks rear and tanabe front sway bar. " hope there spelt right" there 7 lbs lighter then the stock bars. If there is install issues with the godspeed one then I would get something else. What is the god speed front or rear sway bar made out of?
Old Jan 14, 2011, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by grillpt
^

I agree. Take your spare out or something... Your not actually gonna install that thing are you?
My car is 300 pounds lighter then stock. I already got the low hanging fruit long ago. There comes a point where pulling out weight gets a little more tricky then removing the spare tire. If I'm going to replace a part for a performance upgrade, that part better be lighter too.

Originally Posted by donour
Installing that is going to be a LOT of work for is likely to be questionable performance gain. It's not even that much cheaper than the whiteline.

d

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of big front bars. But they are considerably more work that the rear, so I think you should have a clear idea on which one you want and why before going through with it.
It's not really a cost issue. I just refuse to buy a solid sway bar. I have the Hotchkiss rear bar. The reason I went with the Godspeed is it was advertised as larger diameter then the Tanabe while supposedly being the same weight. That is exactly what SHOULD happen if you know how to design a part properly and so the numbers made the Godspeed look better.

I think it is kind of odd more companies don't make hollow bars. You can make the bar half the weight and twice as stiff, if you are smart. Who ever designed the Godspeed bar wasn't very smart...

As for install, I'm not too worried about it. With the current state of my car, I bet I can change it out in under an hour. I'll probably toss it in and see what it does. I'm replacing my coil-springs with Swifts and will probably go a little stiffer in the front anyway.

The Godspeed is supposedly "chrommoly." Maybe I'll take it to work and check it with our x-ray gun. They also claim that chrommoly is stiffer then steel... YEAH...
Old Jan 15, 2011, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 03whitegsr

The Godspeed is supposedly "chrommoly." Maybe I'll take it to work and check it with our x-ray gun. They also claim that chrommoly is stiffer then steel... YEAH...
my tanabe is crommoly as well. IMO i would just stick with that if its the same weight and we know the tanabe is reliable.

good luck with the suspension. i just got mine in. waiting on the springs though.
Old Jan 15, 2011, 10:14 AM
Evolved Member

Haha, damn I suck.
I went back through my calcs and realized I overlooked a detail when calculating the torsional stiffness. Pretty typical for me when I'm in a hurry, yet I always seem to be in a hurry. As a correction...

The Godspeed bar is ~95% the stiffness of the stock bar. Probably just as stiff as stock, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

Me = Not smart...
At least I can admit it though.

I'll toss it in and check fitment. If I ever decide I need a stiffer front bar, I'll go to the Tanabe. Right now though, if it can match stock stiffness and is 2 pounds lighter then the Tanabe, I'll take it. Even if the finish and welds suck.

Last edited by 03whitegsr; Jan 15, 2011 at 10:18 AM.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you considered two piece rotors or aluminum drive shaft to drop unsprung weight?
Old Jan 16, 2011, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoG8r
Have you considered two piece rotors or aluminum drive shaft to drop unsprung weight?
don't forget dieting- i've seen too many overweight people complain that their brake rotors weigh 5 lbs too much but are 50 lbs overweight.
Old Jan 16, 2011, 12:17 PM
Evolved Member

This topic is going no where. Trust me, I've spent a good deal of time finding where I can pull weight from and what is the economically best choice to get it down in weight. This sway bar is a fairly inexpensive weight loss item. $20 a pound is about where my car is at. That or probably 5 hours of work per pound...

Just take it as a brief overview of the Godspeed sway bar. If you are looking for a lighter bar, it may be a good option for some. Other wise, get the Tanabe as it is likely stiffer then the stock bar while still dropping 3 pounds off the car.
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

can you take some pics of the godspeed front sway bar?

i just weighed the tanabe front sway bar. 7.8 lbs.
rear hotchkis sway bar weighed in at 6.6 lbs. ''stock 10.4lbs''
Old Jan 20, 2011, 03:55 PM
Evolved Member

Godspeed Front bar on the Left, Hotchkis Rear bar on Right

Hotchkis Rear bar on the Left, Godspeed Front bar on Right

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Godspeed Front Sway Bar