Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2017, 01:11 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by AllDayAnthony
Honestly, doing a roll AND a pull is the last thing I want to do lol. The only person I know with these wheels said he only had a slight rub in the rear. So in my head I thought a minor roll would suffice. However he is running a 255/35 and I have no idea if my 245/40 would provide a better or worse fitment. I'm currently running the recommended camber settings for the bilstein and swift combo which is 1.7 in the front and 1.4 in the rear. I also don't know if running more camber would help. This is my first time fitting a more aggressive wheel and now I'm having second thoughts...
When we noted it needs the roll, pull & bumper bolt, that was for true no rub clearance

Many of us run the track / aggressive street driving so rub can not be tolerated

There is always that report that the roll was all that was needed & have some rub on big compression bumps etc. IMO, no amount of rub can be tolerated. Rub damages the tire & if severe enough can cut down a sidewall

There is also guys running the out of spec rear camber (i.e. over -2.0 degrees)

As noted, +25 is doable but needs the necessary rear fender work for proper fitment

Last edited by MinusPrevious; Nov 26, 2017 at 01:21 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2017, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
When we noted it needs the roll, pull & bumper bolt, that was for true for no rub clearance

Many of us run the track / aggressive street driving so rub can not be tolerated

There is always that report that the roll was all that was needed & have some rub on big compression bumps etc. IMO, no amount of rub can be tolerated. Rub damages the tire & if severe enough can cut down a sidewall

There is also guys running the out of spec rear camber (i.e. over -2.0 degrees)

As noted, +25 is doable but needs the necessary rear fender work for proper fitment

I completely understand. For my case, I don't track the car or do any aggressive street driving. For the most part, I just go for casual drives and the occasional mountain drive. I had not heard of relocating the rear bumper bolt before this, and I definitely want to avoid that. I mean out of curiosity would my suspension setup give me more wiggle room than most people? Since I'm not dropped a whole lot? And I agree, I don't want to damage tires due to rubbing. Now let's say I send these bad boys back and opt for a less aggressive size at 18x8.5 with the 35 offset? I believe I will need a 10mm spacer for the front calipers
Old Nov 26, 2017, 01:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I completely understand. For my case, I don't track the car or do any aggressive street driving. For the most part, I just go for casual drives and the occasional mountain drive. I had not heard of relocating the rear bumper bolt before this, and I definitely want to avoid that. I mean out of curiosity would my suspension setup give me more wiggle room than most people? Since I'm not dropped a whole lot? And I agree, I don't want to damage tires due to rubbing. Now let's say I send these bad boys back and opt for a less aggressive size at 18x8.5 with the 35 offset? I believe I will need a 10mm spacer for the front calipers
If you have proper fitment, ride height is not a factor. My EvO is pretty low in the rear but because the work was done, there is no rub

Yes, moving to a higher offset may be needed in your case. An 18x8.5 +35 would work well & depending on tire choice will not need a pull. A minor roll is all that may be needed

The 10mm front spacer will give you an effective offset of +25 which will likely give you some front liner rub at lock positions
Old Nov 26, 2017, 01:58 PM

If you have proper fitment, ride height is not a factor. My EvO is pretty low in the rear but because the work was done, there is no rub

Yes, moving to a higher offset may be needed in your case. An 18x8.5 +35 would work well & depending on tire choice will not need a pull. A minor roll is all that may be needed

The 10mm front spacer will give you an effective offset of +25 which will likely give you some front liner rub at lock positions
I think I like the sound of that much much better. I will send these back and opt for the less aggressive sizing. I was honestly just going by what konig told me over the phone, but the 9.5 sounds like it's going to be much more stress than what I need. Thank you guys!
Old Nov 29, 2017, 09:02 PM

Ok, so discount tire said they would mount a tire on the 18x9.5 25 offset hypergram for me. These are 245/40/18. I wanted everyone's opinion on the fitment and what work I would be looking at. I figured pictures would help

Old Nov 30, 2017, 06:01 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Ok, so discount tire said they would mount a tire on the 18x9.5 25 offset hypergram for me. These are 245/40/18. I wanted everyone's opinion on the fitment and what work I would be looking at. I figured pictures would help
Wheels do look good, but as we discussed, the rears are where the problem is. Right now, your rear ride height is pretty tall (fender gap).

But even w/the gap, there is an obvious crash point, where the assy, under hard compression will make contact w/the fender

See my example below. The best way to check is to remove the rear strut, disconnect the sway bar mount & push the assy up into the fender. If there is any contact, then its not right!

Old Nov 30, 2017, 07:39 AM

Wheels do look good, but as we discussed, the rears are where the problem is. Right now, your rear ride height is pretty tall (fender gap).

But even w/the gap, there is an obvious crash point, where the assy, under hard compression will make contact w/the fender

See my example below. The best way to check is to remove the rear strut, disconnect the sway bar mount & push the assy up into the fender. If there is any contact, then its not right!

Yes there is a bit of a gap but I can definitely imagine that there will be contact under hard compression. I think a fender roll would suffice for my driving, however, now I'm coming across a problem in the front that I wasn't expecting. The 245/40 must be sitting tall enough to be making direct contact with my mudflap and side skirt area. I mean literally the tire is sitting on those areas and rubbing just by going full lock on a level surface. Would a 255/35 fix this problem?
Old Nov 30, 2017, 07:55 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yes there is a bit of a gap but I can definitely imagine that there will be contact under hard compression. I think a fender roll would suffice for my driving, however, now I'm coming across a problem in the front that I wasn't expecting. The 245/40 must be sitting tall enough to be making direct contact with my mudflap and side skirt area. I mean literally the tire is sitting on those areas and rubbing just by going full lock on a level surface. Would a 255/35 fix this problem?
Oh, did not see the mudflap until you mentioned it. I would forgo those if you can?

But, running the 40 series tire in the 18" dia is concerning. I run a high circum tire in my 275/40/17 which is 2047.7mm compared to your 245/40's at 2052.1mm (i can see why your rubbing the mudflap)

A 255/35 will reduce the circum to: 1997.1mm. If removing the mudflap corrects the issue, that would be an answer, but if youre still rubbing, the 35 series would be best!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
how much clearance do you have in the front to your caliper? those don't look too bad.. but would run +35

also would run 265/35-18
Old Nov 30, 2017, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by kyoo
how much clearance do you have in the front to your caliper? those don't look too bad.. but would run +35

also would run 265/35-18
Plenty of clearance! I could probably fit a finger in the space. They do come in a 35 offset, but I would have to run a 10mm spacer up front to clear the brembos at that point. Which would put me at the same point I am now. I would imagine a 35 offset in this size would help me with rear clearance though
Old Nov 30, 2017, 04:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
ahh ok - they don't clear in +35 then. good to know
Old Dec 4, 2017, 02:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is there much modding required for 17x9 +22? Any pics with Evos running this set up?

I'm considering getting some RAYS Gramlights 57CR in that size has anyone ran these?

Last edited by McRooster; Dec 4, 2017 at 02:32 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 06:03 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by McRooster
Is there much modding required for 17x9 +22? Any pics with Evos running this set up?

I'm considering getting some RAYS Gramlights 57CR in that size has anyone ran these?
For sure the 17x9 +22 can be done, but you will the full compliment of rear fender work. Rear roll, slight fender pull & the bumper bolt relocation

If the wheel was a 9.5", I would have suggested that its too aggressive & should be avoided. The 9" width helps w/the poke but its still aggressive & requires a fair amount of rear fender work if you want a zero rub set up

Any other questions, let me know
Old Dec 5, 2017, 02:06 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For sure the 17x9 +22 can be done, but you will the full compliment of rear fender work. Rear roll, slight fender pull & the bumper bolt relocation

If the wheel was a 9.5", I would have suggested that its too aggressive & should be avoided. The 9" width helps w/the poke but its still aggressive & requires a fair amount of rear fender work if you want a zero rub set up

Any other questions, let me know
I'll definitely be getting a roll and pull. But will I still be able to drive the car on smooth surfaces (on stock suspension) without issue until I get it rolled? Will I also require any work in the front, considering I will lower the car at a later date.

What tyre size is also recommended for the 17x9 +22 set up.
Old Dec 5, 2017, 06:13 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by McRooster
I'll definitely be getting a roll and pull. But will I still be able to drive the car on smooth surfaces (on stock suspension) without issue until I get it rolled? Will I also require any work in the front, considering I will lower the car at a later date.

What tyre size is also recommended for the 17x9 +22 set up.
I ran your no.s using a 255/40 tire. You will have to be very careful when driving w/out the rear fender treatment. You certainly dont want the rear tire crashing into the rear fender (that would be disastrous). Better not to drive it in that condition

The fronts are much more forgiving but expect some liner rub at lock positions. Really depends on how low youre set. The front will certainly need some finger gap vs the rear. I have my ride heights noted some where (i will post them for you)

Quick Reply: Tire / Wheel Fitment Questions