Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Stance Coilover Noise!!!!! Help

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:50 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stance Coilover Noise!!!!! Help

I've searched google and found bunch of 240 community ppl crying. But never found the solution. Does anyone have experience with Stance Coilover or other manufacturer. The noise only comes on low speed like 0-40,50. I think I actually cant hear it bcuz of my exhaust. anyways, It is clunking sound even straight or curvy road. and not even bumpy road it makes noise. The noise comes from front right and sometimes both sides. it doesnt make noise on cold start when its cold weather but it starts make noise after about 10-15 min driving. In warm/hot day, Everytime!!!!! Please help me. Thank you!
Old Apr 14, 2011, 12:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try tightening the top bolts.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:54 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by escodotcarter
try tightening the top bolts.
I did that already. won't work
Old Apr 15, 2011, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you probably will just have to get used to it. My coilovers were dead silent in the winter. As soon as it warmed up all the squeaks came out to play.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A clunk could be an internal failure. I'd have it checked.
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:35 PM

a strut on my wife's car clunked.... took it apart to have a look and the piston fell down into the body. all i have ever seen before that is they are really slow to expand or maybe stick for a minute before expanding. take it a part and see what's up
Old Apr 19, 2011, 09:43 PM
Evolved Member

you may need helper springs

these springs add tension so when the spring compresses quickily and bounces back- the strut can't keep up with the movement of the spring. the spring then "clunks" against the top perch making the noise.

helper springs provide tension to keep a GAP from forming when driving.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 08:11 PM

I have this same problem with my Stance coilovers as well. I've tightened the top bolts too but that only fixed a rattling problem I had in the beginning.

Someone said it could have something to do with my endlinks, but they could be wrong as well. :/ Mine makes noises when I turn the wheel at low speeds AND it comes from the front passenger side of my car (or both sides in front) too... What the heck, Stance?

Last edited by Inameng; Apr 22, 2011 at 08:14 PM.
Old Apr 25, 2011, 09:48 PM

Have a similar problem with my passenger's side stance coilover. It sounds like the spring moves whenever I turn or brake and then it returns to it's place. We have try everything (turn it harder, softer, lubricate the joints, etc, etc) withour getting a solution. The worst thing is that if i order a new one (warranty) it will come from japan so it will be MONTHS of waiting.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:37 AM

Noisy coilovers

Hi, i have the same problem as many others with my coilovers making knocking clunk clunk sound, especially when driving slow, both sides at the front..
I have with my coilovers those helper springs, well i still have the noise, but i noticed in the picture there is some rubber washers that seperate the spring from the helper springs. So I might try and do I DIY on that....and i heard of rubber silencer sleeves might help....or rubber hose...
Check out coil slap which results in coils to bang againts each other, so by installing a rubber hose on the coils may reduce or hopefully stop all the racket...This is my next assignment.

Also I tried checking anything that is loose and all i could find was my cv joint and axle, if i tug at it it makes a noise.....
Anyway I like coilovers but that noise is a bit irritating, one solution so far is have deep exhaust sound or loud music in the mean time.....
If you have solution let me know...............
Also Iv had it checked at < 10 places all said slightly different story, but nothing wrong with them, as long as you don't have fluid coming out them they are fine but still noisy......
Attached Thumbnails Stance Coilover Noise!!!!! Help-sl557814.jpg  

Last edited by jayjungja; Jun 21, 2011 at 07:56 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 06:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I haved the same problem on the HKS Hipermax and Megan coils as well, you need to change pillow ball on the camber plates and you can drive without any noise for about 5-7k miles
Old Jun 21, 2011, 08:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
notice how all the ppl saying they have problems with their coilovers making sounds have cheap coilovers
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TougeGod7
notice how all the ppl saying they have problems with their coilovers making sounds have cheap coilovers

Dont think the HKS Hipermax are the cheapest ones...
Old Jun 21, 2011, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have bilstein PSS9 with the same noise
Old Jun 21, 2011, 02:02 PM
Evolving Member

it'll make noises no matter what...

usually coming from the top mounts... especially when it's not rubber top mount like the stocks.

Quick Reply: Stance Coilover Noise!!!!! Help