Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

18x9.5 CE28N offsets for IX

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2011, 06:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I had my IX, I ran +28s (RE30s) on all four corners with no issues.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DCEIVR.

Thanks.

I have been looking at as many threads as I can that you have posted on including this one.

http://www.lancerregister.com/showth...=235584&page=7

I was planning to run +34 all round.. I have been to the wheel shop yesterday where they had a CE28n in 18x9.5 +34. I have a spare wheel hub which I bolted my Porsche brake kit to and we sat the wheel on it and it cleared with plenty of room.

I'm getting stuck on tyres at the moment..

I run the ADO8's on my stock IX wheels and I wanted to use these in a 255/35/18. They do that size but the load rating is only 90W instead of the 93W.

I might end up taking a chance on that tyre yet, not too sure.

I'm like you also in the fact that I don't really want to mess with arch mods!
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:24 AM
Evolving Member

No probs Dave.

Just so your totally clear, before I purchased my set of CE28s I trial fitted a set of +34, and this is the clearance to the front Brembo calipers, as mentioned above by someone else it's damn close. Not sure how differently the Porsche calipers will sit, but better that you can see an example:

Name:  _MG_3154_25.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  89.8 KB

+28's have plenty of clearance. +22 will require a 5mm spacer due to the concavity of the spokes.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by [DCEIVR]
No probs Dave.

Just so your totally clear, before I purchased my set of CE28s I trial fitted a set of +34, and this is the clearance to the front Brembo calipers, as mentioned above by someone else it's damn close. Not sure how differently the Porsche calipers will sit, but better that you can see an example:

+28's have plenty of clearance. +22 will require a 5mm spacer due to the concavity of the spokes.
Thanks.

Much more clearance than that I had.. Forgot to say it's with a 362mm disc and the Porsche calliper is narrower than the stock Brembo.

Will post up a pic in a min of the brakes on the jig I made up.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 08:15 AM

Porsche GT3RS (ceramic pistons)

They look lovely under the Genesis CE28n!
Attached Thumbnails 18x9.5  CE28N  offsets for IX-p1010408.jpg   18x9.5  CE28N  offsets for IX-p1010409.jpg   18x9.5  CE28N  offsets for IX-p1010407.jpg  
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by boomn29
The +34 will rub the inside rear control arm - if you've got BIG rubber.
The +28 will rub the outside rear fenders - if you've got medium/BIG rubber.

I have +34, will 285/30/18 rubber fit without rubbing the control arm? I could always put some small spacers in the rear as the fenders have been rolled pretty aggressively.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:29 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by boomn29
The +34 will rub the inside rear control arm - if you've got BIG rubber.
The +28 will rub the outside rear fenders - if you've got medium/BIG rubber.

Both clear the brembos up front. The +28 might rub with BIG rubber if you're really low and hit a bit compression (ie curbing on the track under G load).
Both CAN rub the inside of certain front suspensions if you want to run a LOT of negative camber.

Trust me.....

Originally Posted by Hennessy2remedy
the +34 will clear the front brembo with a **** hair clearance, might want to think about 3-5mm spacers if it's something that will bother you.

if you're interested, i'll be selling my CE28n time attack 18x9.5 +34 in the very near future.
+1 on the above statements.

I've got a set of 18x9.5 +34 CE28M TA's on my car. Had 255/35R18 Toyo T1-R's and now 245/40R18 Dunlop SP Sport 600's, and both fit perfectly both front and rear. As mentioned above, there's a credit card's width of clearance between the front caliper the spokes of the CE28N. it doesn't rub at all, but if a rock got stuck in there, or anything really, it would mark up your wheels/calipers pretty badly.

The only issue I had with the 255/35R18 Toyo's is that the rear left tire had been gouged pretty good because of the Parking Brake Cable Bolt Bracket.

My wheels/tires were purchased from a member and when I was mounting the set for the first time, I noticed one tire was gouged a good bit on the sidewall, and wondered what the heck would do that. I knew it was rubbing on something. So I mounted them up and found that the Parking Brake Cable Bracket was the culprit. It's a squared off bracket, and so it sticks out a little and isn't smooth with the trailing arm. Since it was a harmless bracket, I hammered it flush to the trailing arm and haven't had any issues since.

With more aggressively sized tires you may rub on the trailing arm itself, but I've yet to have that problem since I don't run really wide tires.

-Jalal
Attached Thumbnails 18x9.5  CE28N  offsets for IX-evo-rear-trailing-arm.jpg  
Old Aug 17, 2011, 01:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dave-Cee
Porsche GT3RS (ceramic pistons)

They look lovely under the Genesis CE28n!
You can buy the wilwood calipers with thermlock pistons, which retards heat by something like 25% or more to allow less heat transfer into the clapper and pad thus creating a much cooler brake...

and I'm sure they're a hell of a lot cheaper than porsche clappers.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by Stormin Norman

and I'm sure they're a hell of a lot cheaper than porsche clappers.
Those Porsche callipers are not as expensive as you might think.

Old Aug 17, 2011, 04:12 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Astro_Train
to the OP... just one other thing to consider is that the face of CEs change depending on offset. +34 has a round concave face with the spoke being almost round at the center of the spoke. The +28s look a bit better as they are a bit more flat at the center of the spoke and they cave just a tad light bit at the lower section of the spoke as you work towards the center of the wheel.

The +22 or lower has the best face IMO and the spokes actually dive in towards the center of the wheel from the outside edge of the wheel. I've had +28s and +15s. The +15 and +22s have the same face, the only thing that changes is the pad height at the rear of the wheels where it meets the hub of the car.

Don't bother with +34. It is too high of an offset and too close to stock and with a 9.5 inch width, you run that chance of rubbing on the inside as you run a meatier tire. The +28 is best and does not require any fender rolling unless the car is dumped and/or running a tire wider than a 255. The +28 will give you more "room" to play with overall. I'll post up some pics of my +15s and some +22s. They look better than +28s but keep in mind that you'll most definitely have to roll your rear fender.

But you gotta pay to play if you want to look more aggressive... my 2 cents...

here are some pics to show the faces in regards to offsets... the GG was mine IX

18x9.5 +34

LOL I was at work when I posted earlier and couldn't see the pics. Just noticed that you used a picture of my car!

-Jalal
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by MJ23FE
LOL I was at work when I posted earlier and couldn't see the pics. Just noticed that you used a picture of my car!

-Jalal

Yes Jalal... your car is one of the cleanest and you had some nice angles taken to give the OP some comparisons for the various offsets.
and I love whoring out a fellow WW owner's sweet ride
Old Aug 17, 2011, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

Yes Jalal... your car is one of the cleanest and you had some nice angles taken to give the OP some comparisons for the various offsets.
and I love whoring out a fellow WW owner's sweet ride
Thanks, homie!

Pictures are a little deceiving as she's not as clean as she looks... but she sure does try!!! BTW, where you from?

Thanks again.

-Jalal
Old Aug 18, 2011, 05:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dave-Cee
Those Porsche callipers are not as expensive as you might think.

Orly? Under $800 a pair? Where did you pick them up?
Old Aug 19, 2011, 01:39 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah my concer nalways was with a ce28n that +22 would brequire either a spacer or would hit the caliper. My 8 will be running the evo x fq400 alcons 6 pot front 4 pot rear (360mm disc) so concerns over a ce28n in those dimensions.

Was informed the te37sl wouyld fit easily though, yet they are a different rim.

I may have to run the +28 for fitment. I refuse to run a spacer, too dodgy in my opinion.
Old Nov 15, 2017, 02:03 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
to the OP... just one other thing to consider is that the face of CEs change depending on offset. +34 has a round concave face with the spoke being almost round at the center of the spoke. The +28s look a bit better as they are a bit more flat at the center of the spoke and they cave just a tad light bit at the lower section of the spoke as you work towards the center of the wheel.

The +22 or lower has the best face IMO and the spokes actually dive in towards the center of the wheel from the outside edge of the wheel. I've had +28s and +15s. The +15 and +22s have the same face, the only thing that changes is the pad height at the rear of the wheels where it meets the hub of the car.

Don't bother with +34. It is too high of an offset and too close to stock and with a 9.5 inch width, you run that chance of rubbing on the inside as you run a meatier tire. The +28 is best and does not require any fender rolling unless the car is dumped and/or running a tire wider than a 255. The +28 will give you more "room" to play with overall. I'll post up some pics of my +15s and some +22s. They look better than +28s but keep in mind that you'll most definitely have to roll your rear fender.

But you gotta pay to play if you want to look more aggressive... my 2 cents...

here are some pics to show the faces in regards to offsets... the GG was mine IX

18x9.5 +34

18x9.5 +28 (rear wheel only) fronts are 18x10.5 +18... notice the difference in the spoke. This is the best example to show the face of the wheel difference.

Here are my old 18x9.5 +15(face is the same as +22)

Attachment 287217

I ran +15s with no rubbing and a 255/35 but all 4 fenders rolled. +22 will be fine with a 265 with some fender rolling considering you don't dump the car... not sure what suspension you'll be running. Hope this helps.
is it possible to repost the pics? i'm particularly interested in the face of the 18x9.5 +28 face, and clearance in the rear, if you had to remove the bumper tab and all that. rears are already rolled so no worries there but it is an autocross car so it's probably going to be pushed as hard as what an evo would see

Originally Posted by [DCEIVR]
I run 18x9.5 +28 front and +34 rear with my CE28s. As mentioned, the only reason to do this is to be able run 255/35/18 rubber without the need to roll the rear fenders to avoid rubbing.

I also run DFV's and have my car sitting pretty low with -1.25 degree front camber and -1.75 degree rear camber

There is no difference in the amount of lip between the 2 different specs, you'll find the spokes on the +28 concave a bit more than the +34.

Here is my ride height:
Attachment 287203

Here is the clearance in the rear when it's loaded up (parked on an angle on a steep driveway in this pic):
Attachment 287204

This is how they sit in line with the guard:
Attachment 287205
is this the formula silver color? i can't tell the difference between the concavity int he front and rear..

Last edited by kyoo; Nov 15, 2017 at 02:14 PM.

Quick Reply: 18x9.5 CE28N offsets for IX