Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Energy Suspension bushing replacement!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Were you able to replace the front sway bar bushing without dropping the front subframe? Is it necessary to drop the front LCA to get at the front sway bar bushings or can it be done with that in place?

Thanks
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dropped the sub frame but I was replacing the whole sway bar and transfer case at the same time.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

It's a pretty big job to do them all. Rewarding to do yourself but not so sure the result was worth the effort beyond the joy of working on the car and learning. I wouldn't pay a shop to do it but understand the inclination due to the size of the job.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:48 AM

to anyone who has done the modification: is it worth the money(the handling difference)?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 10:57 AM
Evolved Member

It definitely stiffened the car up a good bit. I'm very happy with my suspension setup and instructors always rave about my car setup after riding in it. If you can do the job yourself and save a ton of money, I recommend that. It's not the hardest thing in the world, but you will have to disassemble the entire suspension, rear subframe, etc and then have access to a shop press. The kit itself isn't expensive, but I don't know what a shop would charge to do the whole thing. Then it might not be worth it. Depends what you use the car for, too.

If you're not tracking, I don't see it being worth the time or money.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:10 PM

Redbud23, I'm getting ready to do this job and wanted to know what size press die to use to remove the mustache bar bushing??
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:19 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 382 Likes on 327 Posts
I'm not sure if its supposed to stiffen the car . in fact it should be the opposite, it should let the suspension move more freely and properly and let the shocks/springs do the work
I have the black kit, and I'm done with the rear. just pulled the front CAs but I dont think i'll do the big bushing

Last edited by ViciousLSD; Mar 6, 2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old Mar 6, 2012, 10:29 PM

I'm about to attempt this replacment with the perrin PSRS zero lift kit because all the bushings are wearing at 116k miles. I don't have a press but I have some C clamps... *crosses fingers*
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:40 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by silver85igenz
I'm about to attempt this replacment with the perrin PSRS zero lift kit because all the bushings are wearing at 116k miles. I don't have a press but I have some C clamps... *crosses fingers*
Good luck with that, you better just order up some new control arms now.
Old Mar 7, 2012, 05:52 AM
Evolving Member

My car had 110,000 when i replaced mine with the big kit they sell. Everything went smooth. Took me 3 hours(slacking off with a buddy from work) to do them all. Should install the whiteline kit while you are at it. With a lift and press it isn't to bad. But on the ground, i wish you luck. haha
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:00 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I cant really remember it was trial and error, but they were the easy ones anyway.

Originally Posted by ajrblanco
what size dies do you use for the diff carriers and mustache bar bearing removal??
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:01 AM
Evolving Member

I got them out pretty easy without dropping the subframe. You have to do some wiggling around but it wasnt impossible.

Originally Posted by WRC-LVR
Were you able to replace the front sway bar bushing without dropping the front subframe? Is it necessary to drop the front LCA to get at the front sway bar bushings or can it be done with that in place?

Thanks
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

Yes it is definitely worth every hour and drop of blood shed!!!! She use to have a slight wheel hop and little movement felt in corners. Now she just spins and hooks off the line and no movement on any corner. Also the rear kicks out alot more allowing me to really feel the corners instead of pushing through.
I guess now i need better tires!!!!!

Originally Posted by cobb_sti
to anyone who has done the modification: is it worth the money(the handling difference)?
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:28 AM
Account Disabled

Great write up Brian!
Old Mar 7, 2012, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silver85igenz
Doing it without a press is absurd. They're like $100 at Harbor Freight or head to a friend's house who has one.

Quick Reply: Energy Suspension bushing replacement!