Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

corner balance?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
corner balance?

as im trying to narrow down my amazing 70-80 mph steering wheel wobble im starting to rule out certain things and ive decided to start off with an alignment. my question is how important if at all is corner balancing on a daily driven street car? i do have stance gr pro coilovers and couldnt decide what type to do a regular alignment or corner balance?

can anybody give me any advice or pros and cons of each?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
u dont need corner balance on a street car. i think its a waste of money if its strictly street.
alignment is always needed on street or track car. getting the right camber settings etc so your tires wont have abnormal wear from toe or out of spec alignment. ie 1 tire wears differently than the other.

corner balance is done mostly for racing. you set the car up such that it is race ready, sit in driver seat and have them balance the car out so it is... well balanced with you in it. ie the cross weight is close to perfect with you in the car. sometimes the car sits funny when you are not in the driver seat. but when your in it, the car is set again.

thats imo, i've done corner balance before on an st car, its not fun. but it gets the car pretty well balanced.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't see how an alignment can cause a steering wheel wobble. Tires and wheels out of balance or bad tire wear are your number one culprits.

But if you just slapped some coilovers on your street car and didn't align the car after, I would highly recommend an alignment.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:27 AM

1. Check wheel balance
2. Bushing
3. Ball joints
4. Drive shafts

Put car on hoist, put car in gear and drive it slowly in 3rd gear get someone under the hoist looking at everything thats going round.

Vibration is generally caused by rotation.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:59 AM

I appreciate the help but the steering wheel wobble and vibration was there before I even put the coilovers on however I still need an alignment because it is now off with the new suspension...outer tie rod was all ready changed already ball joints are fine...after alignment I'm going to resurface rotors and bleed brakes to rule that out and then ultimately replace hub assembly...but back to my original question...

Is a corner balance worth it for a street car although I do hit back roads quite frequent but ill be honest its not a track car just an aggressively driven street car
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The best part about proper coilovers is the adjustability. So if you have the ability to adjust corner balance and improve the vehicles dynamics then why not? If its because of cost, then when did you buy coilovers in the first place? So my opinion is if you can afford coilovers you should be able to afford to take full advantage of what they offer.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:33 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Rough_draft
I appreciate the help but the steering wheel wobble and vibration was there before I even put the coilovers on however I still need an alignment because it is now off with the new suspension...outer tie rod was all ready changed already ball joints are fine...after alignment I'm going to resurface rotors and bleed brakes to rule that out and then ultimately replace hub assembly...but back to my original question...
Have you had your wheels checked for balance and roundness? A bent wheel can be balanced, but will still cause wobble. You have to explicitly ask the tire shop tech to watch the roundness, because often they will just balance the bent wheels and call it good.

My Evo came with a bent wheel that caused a noticeable wobble, even though the tire shop had no problems balancing them.

Originally Posted by Rough_draft
Is a corner balance worth it for a street car although I do hit back roads quite frequent but ill be honest its not a track car just an aggressively driven street car
I'd say no. But the alignment should be your top priority.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 06:29 PM

I had some really warped rotors that did that. However, you could tell it was the rotors because when going down a hill if you tapped the brakes the steeringwheel was like holding one of those shakeweights.
Old Mar 24, 2012, 08:29 AM

need to get ur wheels road forced balanced. also check rotor run out. best thing to do is like someone said couple post ago is put car on a lift and check front suspension for any play