Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

evo 8 front wheel lockup and loud click on turns

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
evo 8 front wheel lockup and loud click on turns

When I make turns in parking lots or Sharp turns right and left, it makes soft clicking and then when I straighten the wheel back up, the wheels sometimes get locked up and its very difficult to turn but if I go forward while turning it will straighten and make a very loud pop.

I jacked the front end up and shaked the wheels and inspected what I could see and everything was tight and seems visually good. Wheels don't play side to side or up and down at all. I tried having someone turn the wheel back and forth while I looked under the car and everything seemed normal when in the air.
No play in the steering wheel either with the car idling or off and on the ground. Only when I accelerate with the wheel turned it will lock up.
Does anyboy have any ideas whY this can be or what I can check?

Last edited by chrisff521; Mar 25, 2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:13 AM
Evolving Member

Bump.....
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:15 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a bad axle bro, the clicking you hear is the worn cv joint on the axle.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:34 AM
Tvo

Could be a bad tcase. Sounds like a combo of a broken diff (open 2-way diffs tend to break over time and will make a popping noise turning) and a bad ring and pinion (what might be causing wheels to lock up). Quick check, look to see if tcase fluid has leaked out where the axles connect to the tcase. Try to put your car up in the air (all four tires off the ground) and with the car in neutral (don't forget to release the hand brake ) try and hand spin the driveshaft that connects to the tcase. If it locks up while you are spining it, then there is your problem. If you can't get all for off the ground safely ( only have two jackstands and/or no lift available) unbolt the driveshaft from the center hub (4 bolts) and that way you will only be dealing with the front tires. Hope this helps.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:43 AM
Evolving Member

Actually my tcase is whining for a whilr but I just changed the tranjy fluid and the tcade fluid. They are full. And I have a LSD tcase
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:00 AM
Evolving Member

And now that u mention the tcase, it also it feels like my clutch is slipping and i have to accelelarate slow to catch. I thought it was the clutch but it just started after a hard pull . It did not happen gradually .
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
What oil in the rear diff?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

Amsoil severe gear 75w-90 in tcase and rear diff. And amsoil in the tranny too. I forgot which ones.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 03:27 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chrisff521
Amsoil severe gear 75w-90 in tcase and rear diff. And amsoil in the tranny too. I forgot which ones.
Bingo, there's the problem. Without a friction modifier the rear diff is locking.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:12 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
Bingo, there's the problem. Without a friction modifier the rear diff is locking.
Severegear 75w90 already has friction mods additive in it
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:04 PM
Evolving Member

Today I was driving it and I realized that when accellerating it makes the clunking noises and it feels like slipping and trying to catch.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by apagan01
Severegear 75w90 already has friction mods additive in it
I don't know your product line but I recall several instances as reported on this forum where the same problem was occurring, the common denominator was an Amsoil product in the rear differential and either switching to a different lubricant or adding friction modifier solved the problem. Does Amsoil make more than one product for the rear differential? If so, do some have friction modifier and some not?

Also, I have owned other vehicles with a similar LSD and I soon found that using gear oil where the product package indicated it contained friction modifier and this was not enough to prevent problems as described by the OP. Additional friction modifier sold as a separate product was required.

Anyway, I'd hate having the OP chase more expensive options when this simple fix may be available.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chrisff521
Today I was driving it and I realized that when accellerating it makes the clunking noises and it feels like slipping and trying to catch.

whether or not your rear diff has a friction modifier, you wouldnt hear that clunk when going straight. It makes me think its not related to the fluid you are using but what you just said here is very similar to bad differentials going out. The diff binds up, then grabs, then binds up, etc... Unless Im reading what you typed wrong.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 08:51 PM
Evolving Member

But its definley in the front so it would have to be the transfer case right? I am going to do the driveshaft test tomorrow and ill update
Old Mar 27, 2012, 09:12 AM
Tvo

Sorry for the late reply, clunking from the front with wheel lockage seems to me that your ring and pinion has gone bad in your tcase. First they whine, and then the whining gets louder and more annoying over time (like your in an indy car lol) and then the clucking and wheels locking, meaning it is fried. Sadly it happened to me and a buddy of mine the same way. Let me know how the driveshaft test work out for you.

Quick Reply: evo 8 front wheel lockup and loud click on turns