Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Help: Steering Wheel L/R Shift ?

Old Nov 27, 2012, 05:42 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Glad I could help boss. =)
Old Jun 7, 2013, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This same thing happened to me this weekend. I was taking my dash out and got frustrated and gave my steering wheel a wack. Next thing I know it's laying in my lap. So those two metal tabs that aren't supposed to come off the column were still mounted on the column mount. Not knowing that this was a safety feature if you get in an accident I put the tabs back in the column and attached it again. Well it seemed tight but I bumped it get in te car and it fell again. My question is, is the safest thing to buy a steering column from Mitsubishi parts? Is there anything on the steering rack that breaks away like these brackets? Also when you pull the column down and you pull it off the shaft coming from the rack how hard is that to put back on?
Old Jun 8, 2013, 12:29 PM
Evolving Member

Ideally the safest bet is to not alter the safety device and buy a new column. The pins that hold the rack into the tabs is rated for said amount of force before breaking away in an impact. Anything you do to it will not be the same amount of force and in theory not be as safe. But there are plenty of safety features people remove for different reasons and if this is one you would rather not have, you can do something similar to what i did. I honestly think that the risk of the column falling off the shelf while driving down the road or around a track is far more scary then the steering wheel collapsing in the off chance of a head on collision so i opted for something a little more secure and in the end cheaper on my wallet. Just use your head and make your own judgement call.

Removing and replacing the column is not very difficult but it may take a try or two to get it to line up to lock back in place.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 06:14 AM

Thank you for posting this. I had this issue for sometime and I did not know what the issue was.

If you wanted to you can just remove the lower clip on the steering shaft to keep you from removing the 5th bolt in the engine bay.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Your welcome.
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
how are these things just coming apart? I've rallyx'd and also jumped my car on more than one occasion, and it never came apart. Hell, I've had the majority of my bodyweight on the steering wheel before too, when i was doing a dash removal.

I think it seems more dangerous that these could pop loose and cause a loss of car control, than the danger of it not collapsing in a crash. Not like modern steering wheels are impalers like the 50's cars.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by AreSTG
how are these things just coming apart? I've rallyx'd and also jumped my car on more than one occasion, and it never came apart. Hell, I've had the majority of my bodyweight on the steering wheel before too, when i was doing a dash removal.

I think it seems more dangerous that these could pop loose and cause a loss of car control, than the danger of it not collapsing in a crash. Not like modern steering wheels are impalers like the 50's cars.

I am not sure what is happening, but mine was this way when I got the car. I know that the rack was removed for a clutch change, so the other owner might have caused the damage at that time.
Old Aug 10, 2013, 07:04 PM
Evolving Member

I had this happen and jb welded the brackets back in and went to put the unit back up. But, on the back half I can't get the unit to slip into the bracket groves. I have about half an inch to go before the holes for the break away brackets line up. I did not take the whole unit out of the car, and the unit did fall forward and down. I tried pulling back on the unit but it won't slide the whole way in the bracket slots. I'm so confused, it shouldn't be this hard.
Old Aug 12, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolving Member

^ Not sure if you figured it out or not but sometimes its a ***** to get it to line up in the slot. The slot starts out wide and then gets narrower about an inch from the end. It sounds like your hitting where it narrows which means the little pins on each side are more then likely not in the groves correctly and keeping it from going any further. Keep trying and if all else fails get a second hand so that you can line it up from the floor board and your friend can move it in and out appropriately. The first one i did, seemed to have this issue as well but i eventually got it and so will you. Good luck!
Old Mar 20, 2014, 03:07 PM

On this issue the pins for me on my column are also broke.... What do u think about possibly using a 2 part epoxy to hold these aluminum washers in place.... It would be strong enough to hold its self to the column plus take whatever daily driving could throw at it? Yet it could also break away say the car get into a collision?
Old Feb 18, 2017, 03:23 PM

I am also having this same issue which seems to be an issue for damn near every lancer owner ever but i was wondering if you had any advice for getting the steering column back into its original place. i can't seem to bring it back up (towards driver) to get the V shaped pieces into the aluminum mounts they are supposed to go into it seems like my entire steering column is pushed forward about 2-3 inches
Old Apr 12, 2018, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Live4Redline
The pics i meant to post up.

^ The two gold bolts in the picture are holding the aluminum washers up. These washers are only supposed to detach from the column in case of an accident. My steering column was still up in there slots before we finally broke it completely and it fell down like you see it here. If you look on the back wall there you can see the rub marks and the amount of play i had side to side in the wheel. The four little spots around the "V" shape mounts on the column are whats left of the ceramic pins.

^ Heres the washer back on the column, i drilled the old pins out and used the stock holes to remount them and secure with mechanics wire. I slotted this side so the surface would be flush and simply twist locked the wire on the reverse side.

^ The entire unit had to come out to do the repair work. But it was only five bolts and it wasn't too bad. Honestly you can take these two bolts out and the Shaft bolt and the unit will slide out. The rear two bolts hold a bracket up that the column slips into. I did how ever take a try or two to get the column to push completely in to seat properly.

I know I'm bumping a super old thread but this happened to me last night. Out of frustration and bit of road rage, I hit the steering wheel kinda hard and caused the wheel to drop in my lap. the wheel was floating freely in all direction. without this post, I wouldn't even know how to go about fixing this. thanks again.

gonna knock it out when i can tonight
Old Apr 14, 2018, 04:13 PM

Knocked this out earlier, was kinda frustrated getting the bracket holes (closest to the tilt lever) to line up, they were about half inch away.
what i suggest to others are to remove the 12mm bolt that holds the bracket towards the back. go ahead and put in the bolt closest to the steering wheel, and then the other two bolt holding the bracket.

was a pain in the ***