Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

RobiSpec ClubSports vs Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
RobiSpec ClubSports vs Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers

so im currently running RobiSpec ClubSport coilovers with 8k/10k spring rates, but i switch over from *specs to some used Hoosier R6 tires. i soon realized that running 3* camber up front wont cut it, like i was told, and been looking for a set of camberplates. i've also been contemplating getting stiffer spring rates like 10k/12k. the thing though is with the money i would end up spending on camberplates and spring i would be able to afford a set of Ohlins if i sold the KWs,

so, my question is, am i better off keeping the KWs or getting a set of Ohlins?
Old Aug 11, 2012, 02:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by TougeGod7
so im currently running RobiSpec ClubSport coilovers with 8k/10k spring rates, but i switch over from *specs to some used Hoosier R6 tires. i soon realized that running 3* camber up front wont cut it, like i was told, and been looking for a set of camberplates. i've also been contemplating getting stiffer spring rates like 10k/12k. the thing though is with the money i would end up spending on camberplates and spring i would be able to afford a set of Ohlins if i sold the KWs,

so, my question is, am i better off keeping the KWs or getting a set of Ohlins?
in that case, get the ohlins.
Old Aug 12, 2012, 08:11 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
The KW's are decent for the price, but they really cant compare with both the comfort and composure over bumps of the ohlins. You'll be happy you switched.
Old Aug 13, 2012, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ohlins ftw!!!

sell the robijunk ASAP! you will never look back!
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:30 AM
Evolved Member

bump
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:41 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 143 Likes on 119 Posts
bump
Why bump? Are you looking for additional opinions?

The Ohlins are always going to trump the KWs. Especially in your case, where it's not going to cost you more.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Construct
Why bump? Are you looking for additional opinions?

The Ohlins are always going to trump the KWs. Especially in your case, where it's not going to cost you more.
the reason behind the bump was to get a little more technical data. everybody says the ohlins are better than the robispec v3s but nobody actually said why...
Old Aug 19, 2012, 10:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
the reason behind the bump was to get a little more technical data. everybody says the ohlins are better than the robispec v3s but nobody actually said why...
The same reasons as to why the kw's are better than bc's or teins. Better valving, r&d, and quality of machining and parts.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kw's are made of freaking plastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Did you not read my post? I told you why...

The subaru I get to drive periodically on KW's rides pretty terrible. They work as a shock but similar to Koni's have so much compression valving and not nearly digressive enough that they ride terrible.

My Evo is on AST5100s and my co-drivers is on Ohlins, both run higher spring rates yet ride significantly better. Its not the corner transitions or maximum grip that get you the improvement, its the stability over rough surfaces that upset the car much less.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J

The subaru I get to drive periodically on KW's rides pretty terrible. They work as a shock but similar to Koni's have so much compression valving and not nearly digressive enough that they ride terrible.

My Evo is on AST5100s and my co-drivers is on Ohlins, both run higher spring rates yet ride significantly better. Its not the corner transitions or maximum grip that get you the improvement, its the stability over rough surfaces that upset the car much less.
i did but it was a little vague. ur last post is what i was looking for

also, where the KW's on the Subi the RobiSpec ones, or just regular v3s? reason i ask is because the RobiSpec ClubSports are "outfitted with increased spring rates, tuned valving and large diameter piston rods", and i know that the regular v3s aren't valved to well out of the box for a evo/sti.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 01:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Dallas J

^ thats why. I also have multiple friends with the subie KW v3 and the revalved RCE/GtWorx tarmac II and their ride on 6 and 7k springs is terrible. Just....bad. They can't outcorner me on rough terrain. And my ohlins rides better than my fellow evo owner's swift sport/revalved bilstein setup. The damping also changes significantly with each click of the damper. I have a video to illustrate that:

Last edited by deeman101; Aug 19, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by deeman101
^ thats why. I also have multiple friends with the subie KW v3 and the revalved RCE/GtWorx tarmac II and their ride on 6 and 7k springs is terrible. Just....bad. They can't outcorner me on rough terrain. And my ohlins rides better than my fellow evo owner's swift sport/revalved bilstein setup. The damping also changes significantly with each click of the damper. I have a video to illustrate that: http://youtu.be/rV0pvJpxO7Y
awesome thanks for conforming everything i was thinking but wasn't sure about.

kinda laughed a little at the end of the vid cuz i kept seeing u grab the handbrake making me think u were going to pull it and start drifting (been watching too many ricer vids on youtube ) and then you rear end stepped out.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
kinda laughed a little at the end of the vid cuz i kept seeing u grab the handbrake making me think u were going to pull it and start drifting (been watching too many ricer vids on youtube ) and then you rear end stepped out.

LOL! I have a nervous habit of making sure my hand brake is down. Makes my passengers nervous too.
Old Aug 19, 2012, 08:06 PM
EvoM Guru

i did but it was a little vague. ur last post is what i was looking for

also, where the KW's on the Subi the RobiSpec ones, or just regular v3s? reason i ask is because the RobiSpec ClubSports are "outfitted with increased spring rates, tuned valving and large diameter piston rods", and i know that the regular v3s aren't valved to well out of the box for a evo/sti.
The KW's were the RCE TIIs like deeman has also experienced. His car handles great and is fun to autox but driving to events sucks.

Admittedly I dont have experience on the evo version, but I highly doubt their is much difference since they are pretty close in weight, balance, and awd. Though the motion ratios are a different.

If you can afford the Ohlin's, get them.. You love em. What everyone says is so good about the bilsteins is everything that is good about ohlin's, except you can run higher spring rates to reduce roll.

Quick Reply: RobiSpec ClubSports vs Ohlins Road & Track Coilovers