Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Never ending brake noise problem

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Never ending brake noise problem

Ok so I've been dealing with this brake squeal problem for a while now (at this point it only seems to be coming from the front driver side) so before any suggestions get made I'll just let everyone know what I've dont to try and fix this problem.

-Upgraded stock rotors to Hawk Quiet slot front rotors
-Using GiroDisc "Magic Pads" and GiroDisc Shims
-Applied high temp anti seize to back of pad AND between pad and shim
-Bedded brakes in properly on new rotors

I just don't understand after having new rotors and pads that this one side can still be so loud. It only squeals when I'm trying to stop from speeds less than 25 mph and sometimes its more of a pulsating squeal. The brake pedal feels fine and the car stops just fine but this noise can sometimes get loud enough to wake the neighbors and its just embarassing.

The only thing that I havent tried is that, I heard from someone once that there are actually supose to be two sets of shims as in 2 shims on each pad. Idk if this is true but if it is can someone explain? If not any other suggestions would be appreciated.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
If you are calling the pad glued to the back of the pad a shim, there should also be a metal shim.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:50 PM

Don't think this is your problem but, I had this same thing. I discovered that I had warped rotors. Also I've seen that some pads that are street and track applications sometimes require more heat than others and when they aren't operating at certain temps normally found on the track they will squeal. I don't know if that helps any at all. may be the cold temps as well?
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Magic Pads are cold temperature street pads. Maybe your slotted rotors are inducing vibration. Anyway, no use looking for a pad that makes less noise. Magic Pads own that venue.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you check to make sure your dust plate/ backing plate is not coming in contact with the rotor easy thing to do is push it back and drive it to see if the noise is gone.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Quote: It only squeals when I'm trying to stop from speeds less than 25 mph and sometimes its more of a pulsating squeal. End Quote

Doubt that this is the dust sheild but it is worth looking at. I have seen this before, but the squeal was constant above 15 mph.

A pulsating squeal indicates high spots rubbing. Contrary to what most people will tell you to skim the rotors, on the EVO this is most likely caused by incomplete pad transfer.

Skimming will take this off but the pads will have to be re-bed properly.

Try re-bedding the pads with several 80% stops from 50 down to 20 then driving without applying much braking force. Park car overnight. Then evaluate.

If the pulsation is less then the test is diagnostic for the pad transfer layer not being right.

Lastly put some grease on the spring that fits under the two retaining pins. Slight amount of grease between the spring and the pins. See if that works
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Did you put your 'pad-holder' in right position?

Sometimes, when people put there pads in brembo, they accidently install their pad holder ( held by 2 rods ) backwards. check that one, cuz one of my friends used to have a loud noise problem and it turned out he put the pad holder in wrong position.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:44 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I went through a severe squealing issue on Carbotechs (new pads & rotors)

I found that the front pad was not making full contact w/the rotor. The top of the pad had a lip on it. (The pad was not fully seated on the rotor)
I removed the pad & filed down the lip & bedded them back-in. Severe squeal is gone !

Check for lips on the pad ! (top or bottom of pad)
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:44 AM

i actually just installed the magic pads a few days ago and ran into an issue with it also. when driving slowly and not even touching the brake pedal there is a noise coming from my right front. I ended up pulling my rotor off and found that the pad dug a nice deep groove into my rotor. Check out my post in "My pad cut into my rotor"
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:56 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
It sounds like you did everything right (if you followed the bedding procedure properly), you should wait a couple hundred miles (of braking) and see if it goes away.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You could also take that side back apart, and pull the pads, resand the pad surface with 100 grit sand paper to knock off any glazing and reassemble..this time, no "bedding" and see what happens.. I think a lot of times folks are over "bedding " their breaks and glazing the crap out of them and as stated above after a few 100 miles of regular driving the glazing wears away and your down to good pad surface and its quiet.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 05:32 PM
Evolving Member

My magic pads squeal worse than a school bus. I have almost 1k miles on them along with 2 bedding cycles. Put them on w/ brand new girodisc bailout rotors as well. I have to try a few things.....sanding down rotors , re-bedding and adding more anti squeal.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 09:29 AM
Evolved Member

I'm running magic pads. I had the front rotors cut before the install because the oem pads had grooved then pretty bad. I installed them reusing the factory shims, put a smear of chassis grease on both sides of the metal shim, and that's it. I never bothered to bed them. They have never made so much as a squeak on day one or in the last 40 thousand miles.