Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

wheel bearing replacement interval?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2013, 11:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If it aint oem... It aint good enough

http://www.lancershop.com/customer/p...cat=203&page=1
Old Aug 25, 2013, 12:30 AM
kaj
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 812 Likes on 677 Posts
I thought Timkin was OEM. Maybe I'm thinking something else.

either way it's $500 all around. ouch. Maybe I'll just start with the fronts first.LOL
Old Aug 25, 2013, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
We got over 1000 autox runs out of a pair of rear wheel bearings before they needed replacement. Fronts still going strong.

Don't waste your money replacing them if they're not broken.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

Even if timken is oem.., oem standard bearings and autozone standard are different... They do have different levels of bearing quality... And i agree with grice... I've only got 50k on mine but 20k of that is over 100mph with glowing rotors a lot of the time... If mine havent baked themselves yet i imagine they are a pretty well designed unit... Lift the car place a hand at 12 and 6 on the tire and shake the **** out of it... Or you can drive in a semi tight circle and listen for grinding whining and what not... Then flip and drive the other way... Sometimes the bearings burn and still fit well enough to not shake
Old Aug 25, 2013, 01:22 PM
kaj

no noise yet. the only thing that for me really thinking about all this is I have an intermittent steering wheel shake at freeway speeds. it comes and goes and is there no matter which wheel/tire I run. when I had a bad bearing, it was constant. all the talk about bearings had me thinking.
I honestly don't think I have a bearing issue, especially now that I've read all this.
Old Aug 25, 2013, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Check your drive shaft weights... It will oscillate like that.. Or if your rotors are severely warped... Or if 2 tires are out of balance...

Basically anything that rotates... Check it
Old Aug 25, 2013, 03:33 PM
kaj

would drive shaft issues be intermittent or constant?
rotors are brembo, recently resurfaced for track pads, we didn't see any run out, but it's easy to check again.
I've tried two sets of wheels/tires..but who knows. LOL. thanks, man.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 07:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by kaj
would drive shaft issues be intermittent or constant?
rotors are brembo, recently resurfaced for track pads, we didn't see any run out, but it's easy to check again.
I've tried two sets of wheels/tires..but who knows. LOL. thanks, man.
A drive shaft would be constant. Brembo rotors rarely warp and pad transfer wears down after a few miles. So, I'd suspect the tire balance first. It could be the tire shop you are using has a balance machine (or employee) a little out of whack.
Old Aug 26, 2013, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
A drive shaft would be constant. Rotors don't warp and pad transfer wears down after a few miles. So, I'd suspect the tire balance first. It could be the tire shop you are using has a balance machine (or employee) a little out of whack.
Fixed
Old Aug 26, 2013, 10:05 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by barneyb
A drive shaft would be constant. Brembo rotors rarely warp and pad transfer wears down after a few miles. So, I'd suspect the tire balance first. It could be the tire shop you are using has a balance machine (or employee) a little out of whack.
yeah. I'm actually planning to try a different tire shop.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a question concerning low offset wheels. stock is x8 +38, now my though is if you run a 9.5 +30 you have 10mm more tire innner and 27mm more outer tire for tires size if that makes sense. does this increase bearing wear and thus making them not last as long? what about say for all you stanced folks out there 10.5+15, thats 9 mm less clearance then stock towards the knuckle, and 55mm more towards the fender. I was just curious on what your thoughts where from experience in these areas.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I'm sure that it adds some extra load to the bearings, but not enough to matter IMO with Evo bearings. I know DSMs had some issues, but I dont think that I ever have heard the same think as it related to Evos. As a few people show in this thread, the bearings are pretty stout.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 06:34 PM
kaj

I wondered the same thing. I run 20mm spacers which surely changes the amount of torsion on the bearings. so far, so good.
Old Nov 14, 2013, 09:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ugakirk
I'm sure that it adds some extra load to the bearings, but not enough to matter IMO with Evo bearings. I know DSMs had some issues, but I dont think that I ever have heard the same think as it related to Evos. As a few people show in this thread, the bearings are pretty stout.
You do know gsx and evo rear bearings are the same part?
Originally Posted by kaj
I wondered the same thing. I run 20mm spacers which surely changes the amount of torsion on the bearings. so far, so good.
With what offset if you dont mind?

Are the bearings sealed ball bearings or sealed roller bearings? To me that would make it or break it literally lol
Old Nov 14, 2013, 09:57 PM
kaj

Originally Posted by galantman03
You do know gsx and evo rear bearings are the same part?

With what offset if you dont mind?

Are the bearings sealed ball bearings or sealed roller bearings? To me that would make it or break it literally lol
+38 offset on race wheels, +30 on DDs.

Quick Reply: wheel bearing replacement interval?