Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Finally fixed shaking steering wheel!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2013, 09:16 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Swapped kyb stock struts with robispec springs steering wheel shakes on and off

So back in December I swapped some kyb stock struts with only 20k miles on with some robispec springs. I had tire discounters put the robispec springs onto the kyb struts. Then I installed them onto my car myself and drove back to tire discounters and had them align it. Ever since I have noticed at random times my steering wheel shakes at speeds above 60. Its not always consistent though. Sometimes it feel good without any shaking hardly at all and other times its feels very shaky. I'v been thinking about getting the tires balanced because I haven't done it since I bought the car a year ago. By the way, the reason I even changed the springs and struts is because the previous owner had some tein s springs on stock kybs and it would scrape everywhere. I never really noticed my steering wheel shake with that setup though.. Any help would be great thanks. Here is a pic I took of the kyb/robispec springs before installed them on the car.

FIXED PROBLEM! Here is a thread talking about what fixed my issue.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...l#post11016789
Attached Thumbnails Finally fixed shaking steering wheel!!!-photo.jpg  

Last edited by beasters; Nov 9, 2013 at 08:40 AM. Reason: fixed problem
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:38 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
Id start with checking wheel lug torque then jacking up and trying to move the wheel top/bottom and left/right by hand. Then put a long bar under the lifted tire and pull up shaking it seeing if you can find a bad or loose joint somewhere.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 03:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I would also have them check the alignment and the balance on the wheels.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

Id double check make sure all the alignment bolts are torqued where they need to be. According to the Mitsu manual, the front bolts that adjust camber and connect the knuckle to the strut are torqued pretty snug, 167 +/-9Nm (123 +/-7 ft lbs).
Old Jul 19, 2013, 07:31 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
funny because I have the same exact issue, I had one of my springs crack and replaced them with Robi's as well as rotating tires and got the same shakes above 60. but I havent had the alignment down yet but I have changed camber in the front a bit with no change. i will be getting it aligned in a few weeks when I have time along with a wheel balance to see if it helps. but let me know what you find
Old Jul 19, 2013, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Locdizzel
funny because I have the same exact issue, I had one of my springs crack and replaced them with Robi's as well as rotating tires and got the same shakes above 60. but I havent had the alignment down yet but I have changed camber in the front a bit with no change. i will be getting it aligned in a few weeks when I have time along with a wheel balance to see if it helps. but let me know what you find
The front toe has changed due to the camber change. Alignment should fix the shake issue, but you should make sure the tires are well balanced as well.
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
Id start with checking wheel lug torque then jacking up and trying to move the wheel top/bottom and left/right by hand. Then put a long bar under the lifted tire and pull up shaking it seeing if you can find a bad or loose joint somewhere.
Thank you very much for this advice. I jacked the front of my car up today and found that on the passenger wheel when i move it left to right it shakes very easy. When I try up and down nothing happens. When I move it I can actually see my steering wheel move back and forth like it does when I'm driving on the freeway. It looks like its the inner tie rod end isnt seated properly or maybe the bushing is just wore out. Can I just replace the inner tie rod end or do I have to do the whole rod? It looks like there's just play in the inner tie rod end. Here is a picture of it on my car and here is a site I found a tie rod end for sale.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...d=tire+rod+end
Attached Thumbnails Finally fixed shaking steering wheel!!!-photo-18-.jpg  
Old Jul 25, 2013, 04:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by beasters
Can I just replace the inner tie rod end or do I have to do the whole rod? It looks like there's just play in the inner tie rod end. Here is a picture of it on my car and here is a site I found a tie rod end for sale.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...d=tire+rod+end
I meant to call say can I just replace the outer tie rod end
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

So I replaced my outer tie end rods and now there is no play anywhere that I can notice while moving the wheel left to right and up to down. I had tire discounters align the front end afterward and balance the tires. I have absolutely no idea what I'm missing here. The mechanic thought it could be my universal 8mm spacers I have with the rota p45 wheels so I ordered some hubcentric spacers from jm fabrications and I STILL HAVE THE VIBRATION! I can even see my steering wheel move a little at 50mph and its so on and off. Is there anyway I could have installed something wrong or maybe tire discounters didn't install the springs properly? PLEASE HELP
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:55 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Last edited by Smike; Sep 13, 2013 at 06:12 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 07:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Smike
The shake does get worse the faster that I go. I can notice it around 50mph if i look at the steering wheel without my hands on it. It get pretty damn crazy on the freeway back and forth but then goes to almost no shaking. Its back and forth. http://www.jmfabrications.com/store/...l-Spacers.html
These are the spacers (8mm) I bought recently which are hubcentric do I also need hubcentric rings with these spacers and my rota p45s? BTW I replaced my rotors and pads a few months ago with centric premium and stoptech street pads. I have done the bed in procedure 3 times now. My steering wheel shakes when I brake as if the rotors are warped. I'm sure it has to be uneven pad deposits. Do you think this could cause my steering wheel to shake on the freeway while not breaking? Thank you very much for the help!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

You have a static imbalance in one or more assemblies that is phasing in and out. When the imbalances are opposing then they are counter-balancing out.

Yes, you also need the hub rings with those spacers.

"Warping" is pad material deposit on the rotor surface. You will have to have the rotors turned to remove that material then re-bed the pads after that. Re-bedding without turning will not remove that build up. And yes, the high spots catching the pads can cause a ride disturbance.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:19 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I install springs with the tighter binding towards the bottom. Your rear struts are how I do it and the your front struts are the opposite of how I do it. I have these springs too and IIRC the Robispec label is upside down on the fronts. Try it out and I really hope it helps!

And do what Smike says! I follow his suspension/brake advice.

Last edited by PureDrivePerformance; Sep 13, 2013 at 08:21 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 08:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by PureDrivePerformance
I install springs with the tighter binding towards the bottom. Your rear struts are how I do it and the your front struts are the opposite of how I do it. I have these springs too and IIRC the Robispec label is upside down on the fronts. Try it out and I really hope it helps!

And do what Smike says! I follow his suspension/brake advice.
Wow I wonder if this could cause any problems?? I took my struts and springs to tire discounters to have them swap the oem struts with the robispec springs and then I did the install. Do you guys think this could cause an issue? I didn't have any shaking on the freeway with tein s springs on stock kyb struts. Smike what do you think? Should I just take the car back to tire discounters and tell them I have a static imbalance and see if they can figure it out? They recently balanced and aligned the car after I replaced the outer tie rod ends and it didn't help
Old Sep 13, 2013, 09:17 AM
Evolved Member

It would not.

Like I mentioned earlier, if they are not insuring that the assemblies are centered on the balance machine; while the machine will end up reading zero - they are not balanced when you change the axis of rotation (centering) on the vehicle.

Go to a proper shop, not some discount center.

Quick Reply: Finally fixed shaking steering wheel!!!