Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

HELP! Front end clicking/clunking/popping

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2014, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP! Front end clicking/clunking/popping

Hi Guys,

I have been searching the forums for about 2 weeks trying to find the answer to this one. This is my last ditch before I take it in to a shop. Lots of threads out there on front end pops, clunks, and clicks, but after jacking up the car 6 times in the past 12 days, nothing has fixed the problem. First here's a video documenting the sound:

2006 Evolution IX SE, stock powertrain, stock suspension. No heavy impact or curbing that created the sound.

The sound occurs intermittently with no real regularity-- usually it sounds like it is front passenger side, but occassionally I will think I hear it closer to the middle or driver's side. It happens when I hit a low speed bump with the wheel turned. It happens when I start off from a stop. It happens when I brake aggressively. It seems to occur both with the clutch engaged and disengaged, both with brakes engaged and disengaged, both in gear and out of gear.

I think the sound started before my last big install, but became noticeable after I recently installed Girodisc two-piece rotors and a Beatrush undertray. I've checked and rechecked the torque on all of the bolts I removed during those installs, checked the brake pads several times.

I attempted to "shake" the wheels top to bottom and side to side to detect any play in the suspension-- no luck.

Car drives normally, with no detectable change in performance.

I'm at a loss. I really hope you guys can help me. My last option is to take it in.

Thanks for the help!
Rob
Old Aug 14, 2014, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

Bump??? Anyone?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:56 AM
Evolving Member

I have a similar sound, but from the drivers side. Replaced the axle, and sound is still there.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

uneven surfaces and tight turns make the noise louder.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:14 PM
Evolving Member

Sounds simple, but tighten your lug nuts.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 07:16 PM
Evolved Member

Fixed it. Apparently I dislodged the power steering line either when I installed my Beatrush undertray, or when I was running the wires for my oil pressure gauge. Anyway, the power steering line was rubbing against the subframe and making the noise. No damage-- fixed!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 02:18 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
mine sounds like this but not as pronounced. where on the subframe was the p/s line rubbing?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
mine sounds like this but not as pronounced. where on the subframe was the p/s line rubbing?
Wow, this was such a long time ago, I totally forgot I had this issue... If I remember correctly, it was best accessed under the car. About the same position as oil pan/filter bu closer to center.

I would just follow the power steering line out of the reservoir and check to be sure it isn't hanging loosely anywhere on it's route to the steering column.

Rob
Old Jul 25, 2016, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoBear
Wow, this was such a long time ago, I totally forgot I had this issue... If I remember correctly, it was best accessed under the car. About the same position as oil pan/filter bu closer to center.

I would just follow the power steering line out of the reservoir and check to be sure it isn't hanging loosely anywhere on it's route to the steering column.

Rob
thanks, i'll take a look tonight. isn't it just a soft/loose line? how could it cause such a big noise?
Old Jul 25, 2016, 02:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
thanks, i'll take a look tonight. isn't it just a soft/loose line? how could it cause such a big noise?
You got me... having trouble remembering the specifics.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RoBear
You got me... having trouble remembering the specifics.
gotcha... i'll check anyone. getting an intermittent pop myself, no idea the cause, but a lot more subdued
Old Jul 25, 2016, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
IMO it sounds like your strut bearing or your spring isn't seated properly. Have you done anything with the spring recently? I have a sound almost like that and I had to replace my strut/strut mount.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 01:09 PM
rk7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Witnessed a similar issue on a friend's car, and it was exactly that. The power steering line somehow came loose. But tightened it back up, and everything seems to be quiet again. Will keep updated as well.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 01:20 PM
Evolved Member

what part of the line is it that got loose?
Old Aug 1, 2016, 01:35 PM
rk7

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was similar to above, as we went away from the reservoir. But if i remember, it was just as it attached back to the column. Maybe sag could be the issue as well?

Quick Reply: HELP! Front end clicking/clunking/popping