Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Need Advice re High Performance Summer Tire in Snow

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2016, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Need Advice re High Performance Summer Tire in Snow

Long story short, I have Toyo Proxes T1 Sports on my car. They are nearly new. They are advertised as a summer tire, but I'm not convinced they are. Their snow rating is only a point below their "all season" tire on sites like Tire Rack. Anyway, I need to buzz up to Tahoe in a few weeks. Not going anywhere off the beaten path. Am I committing suicide by attempting to drive on these tires? If so, I'll rent a car, but would like to avoid that if possible. My understanding is the 80 and roads into Tahoe are pretty well maintained. Thanks!
Old Jan 12, 2016, 04:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I wouldn't trust those in the snow to be honest.

The thing with mountain weather is it can change suddenly. Going over the pass with those if it's really cold and with some snow would be....an adventure.

They will probably get pretty hard below 30* and there really isn't enough sipping for snow.

If this was the last four years then I would say yea, the roads will be totally clear and a .0001% chance of actual snow. This winter is a bit different in Tahoe, thank the snow gods!

80 is usually pretty well maintained but once you are off the hwy, which you will be to get to any of the Tahoe resorts is when you want a good tire if there is snow on the ground. I'd imagine braking with those tires would be scary as hell on a hwy off ramp with any snow on the ground.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 04:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Rent a car. There are no summer only tires that will safely get you through the snow or it would be classified as an all season. Compounds get hard/brittle in temps below 40 deg. They wont conform to the surfaces properly and offer no traction.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

Thanks. I appreciate the quick responses.
Old Jan 14, 2016, 04:57 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went up to Tahoe on the stock Advans. That was an adventure. Stopped for 8hrs in Donner Pass due to a minivan.

Anyway, I had chains(cables) for the heavy stuff. I would have beached/highcentered without the chains for traction. Once it had been plowed, in the actual Tahoe area, I ditched the chains but was a hazard until I disabled ABS.

In my opinion, if you have experience driving in snow and you are willing to concentrate on driving 24/7, you'll be good. Another tip, when they go into 4wd/chain rules on 80, it can be annoying trying to convince them your Lancer is "4wd".
Old Jan 14, 2016, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
good luck stopping with summer tires. going is easy, stopping is where you'll notice a difference
Old Jan 15, 2016, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
InterestIng, I just did a search on soft spike snow chains, seems to be some alternates to chains now out there, might pay to look into that