Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Tires: Direzza ZII Star Spec vs Michelin Pilot SS

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2016, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Tires: Direzza ZII Star Spec vs Michelin Pilot SS

Time for a new set of tires on a street driven Evo IX MR. Besides the OE tires I've had Bridgestone RE-01 and RE-11 and was happy with both. Right now I have the RE-11s which need replacing. I'm very happy with the RE-11 as far as tread life, noise, handling.

From what I can tell the RE-71R is a much softer tire than the RE-11 so I'm considering other options. I'd like to get ~20k miles from a set of tires like I have from the RE-11.

Which is a closer substitute for the RE-11: Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec or the Michelin Pilot Super Sport? I read the tests on tire rack and would like some more opinions, especially on the ZII SS. Are they much noisier than the RE-11? Is the sidewall stiff like the OE Yokohama or more like the RE-11? I'll go with the Michelin PSS if the ZII SS is unbearable on the street.

Thanks
Old May 18, 2016, 12:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Z2 will be a good bit noisier them RE11 with a little bit more grip. The Michelin will have less grip than the RE11 and might be a bit quieter. I would stick with the RE11, it's a great tire.
Old May 20, 2016, 03:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The Dunlop is a closer performer to your B-Stones than the PSS's. Longer life, better ride from the PSS, but you'll trade some handling. If you enjoyed the way the car drove with the B-Stones stick with the Dunlop as an alternate.
Old May 23, 2016, 04:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've ran both of these tires on my IX, which I daily.

As far as total grip under optimal conditions, the Dunlop wins. It's a great tire when it's warm and dry out.

However, I feel the PSS is a much better tire to daily. It has more grip under more conditions. Colder weather, tires not fully heated, etc. And it's a much much better tire in the rain.
It's a lot more quiet too. If that matters to you...

Overall, it really depends on what you want and what you use the tire for. Dual purpose track, street tire? Dunlop
Daily street tire? PSS

This is merely my opinion though.
Old May 23, 2016, 07:56 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,038 Likes on 760 Posts
I'd stick with the RE-11's. They are in between the PSS and the ZII.

The ZII's are noisy but will grip more than the other two.

RE-11's are a great all-round performance tire and a better performer than the PSS without being noisy like the ZII.
Old May 23, 2016, 09:53 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm using the stock size 235-45-17 and the RE-11 doesn't seem to be available anymore, so it's not an option. If it was, I'd go with another set .
Old May 23, 2016, 10:06 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
They are available in 245/45r17. These will fit just fine.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
Old Jun 23, 2017, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I figure I'd update this. I ended up going with the PSS. They have about 6000 miles and are wearing well and overall I'm happy with them on a driver. Going from nearly bald RE-11s to new PSS was initially a disappointment as the great turn in feel that the RE-11s have was much less with the PSS. But after getting used to the PSS (forgetting how awesome the RE-11s were), I was ok with the PSS after a few days. Overall cornering grip seems about the same, but they do not have the same response to quick steering actions. This is my only disappointment, but I knew that was coming from the reviews. They're wearing well and should last about 20K miles
Old Jun 27, 2017, 05:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The pilot super sports are the same tires that I daily. They are nice daily tires that have a surprisingly well balanced performance:life-span ratio without really breaking the bank. It's daily friendly, yet still relevant. My next set, coincidentally, will actually be Dunlop star specs! That's why this thread really caught my eye haha.