Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Low Speed Popping - Check Your Power Steering Lines!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
There could be very minor bumps in the road that you don't feel making it move around.

Your best is to get under the car and look everything over.
true, thanks for that. i'll do as much as I can before the track day this weekend!
Old Jul 6, 2016, 06:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
That is a lot of stuff that was apart. You might want to check what method they used to do the clutch. It sounds like maybe the subframe was out - did they open the suspension at the ball joints? This could give you an idea of what fasteners to check. Also check that the sway bar isn't hitting.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 10:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
That is a lot of stuff that was apart. You might want to check what method they used to do the clutch. It sounds like maybe the subframe was out - did they open the suspension at the ball joints? This could give you an idea of what fasteners to check. Also check that the sway bar isn't hitting.
hey thanks for the input.

what could the front sway bar be hitting? he mentioned he didn't have to disconnect the steering rack to do the FSB, because the trans/t-case was out - he did have to refill the t-case and acd fluid, so i'm assuming all that stuff was out - we'll go through here and there to torque things down i guess

- tightened the strut tower tops a little
- shook the exhaust - nothing
- banged around a little here and there, nothing.

i backed into my driveway and heard the popping, moved forward & backwards and heard it again. then when i did the same thing with the car cold, nothing - zero sound/feel, and it's not because i can't heard it from the exhaust idling slightly louder. so - additional symptom - only when hot.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

I'd search for it until you are satisfied that nothing important is going to fall off. However, my car will start doing the same. First it is a little noise, then it gets worse until I worry something is unsafe. About the time I am ready to raise the car the noise is gone and I don't hear it for months or maybe never again.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

I'd search for it until you are satisfied that nothing important is going to fall off. However, my car will start doing the same. First it is a little noise, then it gets worse until I worry something is unsafe. About the time I am ready to raise the car the noise is gone and I don't hear it for months or maybe never again.
thanks - just to clarify, it's still happening consistently - but only when the car is hot. when it's cold, it doesn't do it. something expanding under heat and contacting something?
Old Jul 7, 2016, 03:58 PM
Evolved Member

any other ideas? i heard a twang turning right once this morning, and some abnormal brake noise (not squealing), bu hard to describe. not sure if any of it is related
Old Jul 7, 2016, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

took the girlfriend out for a spin.. she could definitely feel it on her feet through the passenger's side floor board. only when going slow, and very intermittent, thunking metal sound. there were a lot of times she felt it when i didn't, but my feet weren't stuck to the floor like hers were - i have to feel it through the gas and brake pedals.

something's definitely off here...
Old Jul 8, 2016, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

definitely some give somewhere... I noticed something is off with the camber plates though.. they used to be about even to get the same camber, now the passenger's side has to go all the way to the inside to match the driver's side.. thoughts on what could shift? he said there wasn't any tolerance in the subframe
Old Jul 8, 2016, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Well something is definately hitting and from the sounds of it at this point I think its gotta be something with your exhaust. Do you have the cross tie under brace thingies on there still? Are they spaced out for your downpipe? As far as the alignment is concerned I know Dallas has mentioned that you can shift the front subframe side to side and gain/ lose I think .5 degree on either side giving a difference of 1 degree total camber. If your plates are all of a sudden off but the camber figure hasnt changes then either its from the subframe shifting or the bolt on the strut being flipped on one side.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:06 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Well something is definately hitting and from the sounds of it at this point I think its gotta be something with your exhaust. Do you have the cross tie under brace thingies on there still? Are they spaced out for your downpipe? As far as the alignment is concerned I know Dallas has mentioned that you can shift the front subframe side to side and gain/ lose I think .5 degree on either side giving a difference of 1 degree total camber. If your plates are all of a sudden off but the camber figure hasnt changes then either its from the subframe shifting or the bolt on the strut being flipped on one side.
yes and yes as far as exhaust and downpipe.

i'll have him redo the subframe after this weekend - it's gotta be shifted slightly, though IDK that it's related to the noise. can't flip bolts on ohlins, it only goes in one way.

--

Was at the shop today and while he heard the noise we couldn't identify it. We pulled over and he put a significant amount of weight on the suspension to move the car up and down & nothing. Gotta be something related to the car rolling with lightly loaded suspension... makes me thing sway bar/endlinks? possibly... though they're pretty clear.

Got my quick jack the other day, raised the car and snapped a few pics. Anything stand out to anyone?

Name:  DSC00870_zps8eeo06pa.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  214.8 KB

Name:  DSC00872_zpsdfuq8qrd.jpg
Size:  292.8 KB

Name:  DSC00873_zpspf2mm29d.jpg
Size:  252.9 KB

Name:  DSC00874_zpsi9zjcg07.jpg
Size:  231.8 KB

Name:  DSC00876_zpslrnwibez.jpg
Size:  272.0 KB

Name:  DSC00877_zpsbcfas0xw.jpg
Size:  320.4 KB

Name:  DSC00879_zpsogfwhccl.jpg
Size:  278.0 KB

Name:  DSC00880_zps7zkcj26h.jpg
Size:  292.0 KB

Name:  DSC00883_zps7p6wklos.jpg
Size:  295.4 KB
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Can't tell from the pics but how close is the downpipe to those bars? And WTF you smoking saying you cant flip the bolt with the Ohlins?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by heel2toe
Can't tell from the pics but how close is the downpipe to those bars? And WTF you smoking saying you cant flip the bolt with the Ohlins?
far enough.

i could only ever get the bolt in one way.. I don't think the struts were removed anyway though
Old Jul 8, 2016, 05:16 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
The subframe does have play. You have to use a prybar to force it over while tightening it up. I have to do it on my car...
Old Jul 8, 2016, 05:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by kyoo
far enough.

i could only ever get the bolt in one way.. I don't think the struts were removed anyway though
There's two ways of breaking the suspension for axle removal; ball joint or knuckle/strut. It takes the same time to either. So, yeah, the strut bolts could have been out.

Also, there was a poster here who had a noise after a clutch and he found that one of the ball joint cinch bolts was left loose.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 06:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
The subframe does have play. You have to use a prybar to force it over while tightening it up. I have to do it on my car...
There's two ways of breaking the suspension for axle removal; ball joint or knuckle/strut. It takes the same time to either. So, yeah, the strut bolts could have been out.

Also, there was a poster here who had a noise after a clutch and he found that one of the ball joint cinch bolts was left loose.
thanks guys - subframe shouldn't impact any noise though right?

so far i have possibilities:

- rear motor mount
- subframe (?)
- ball joint cinch bolts
- endlinks (?)

is it possible these are the endlinks from when the fsb was done? i don't think it is based on when he was putting a serious amoutn of force on the front of the car. my endlinks in the mini clunk but it's over harsh bumps, this one is more random/intermittent. actually usually doesn't make noise over bumps

Quick Reply: Low Speed Popping - Check Your Power Steering Lines!