Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Is there a smaller abs compatible brake master cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 06:41 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is there a smaller abs compatible brake master cylinder?

I was hoping fluid, pads, and lines would help but they really didn't. The car stops fine but you really have to stand on them hard to get into abs. I would like a softer pedal feel.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 06:59 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts
Then you need a larger cylinder, not smaller.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 10:29 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Originally Posted by cdrinkh2o
Then you need a larger cylinder, not smaller.
Wrong. Smaller (diameter) master will produce a longer throw and easier to depress pedal.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 06:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Wrong. Smaller (diameter) master will produce a longer throw and easier to depress pedal.
What he said

Large M/C will make your pedal feel like a rock, short throw, higher effort.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 07:23 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 152 Likes on 116 Posts
Thanks for educating me. So is there a smaller diameter master cylinder available for CT9A?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 09:00 AM
EvoM Guru

What brakes pads do you have? My car stops great with racing brake XT910 pads.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 09:31 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
There's a brake thread here from Smike with coefficient of frictions for different pads. Sounds like you just need to pick something with more bite.

I at one point tried EBC Blues and they were complete crap for bite. Now have Raybestos ST-43 and they are polar opposite. Just a warning, bite also comes with sounds and usually more dusting.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:47 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Dallas J
There's a brake thread here from Smike with coefficient of frictions for different pads. Sounds like you just need to pick something with more bite.

I at one point tried EBC Blues and they were complete crap for bite. Now have Raybestos ST-43 and they are polar opposite. Just a warning, bite also comes with sounds and usually more dusting.

I did research including that thread and ended up getting the "bitiest" stop-techs on offer. I really like the S2k brake feel and I think the softer more linear pedal is part of the reason I like it so much. My brake feel did improve a LOT with these pads over whatever the PO had on there but to me it still doesn't match the other inputs. She shifter is light, the steering is light, the gas pedal is light and the brakes are hard... It's the only thing that feels out of place to me personally.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 01:03 PM
EvoM Guru

The brake pedal in the Evo is very much a racecar brake pedal, firm with very linear feel. Incremental increases in force on the pedal result in similarly incremental increases in stopping force. It requires effort to push because the power assist is minimal, this aids in giving the pedal better feel.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 01:13 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 723 Likes on 566 Posts
I definitely wouldn't give up my stiff pedal feel for a longer throw, that's just asking to mess up your heel-toe feel.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:23 AM
Evolving Member

The brake pedal in the Evo is very much a racecar brake pedal, firm with very linear feel. Incremental increases in force on the pedal result in similarly incremental increases in stopping force. It requires effort to push because the power assist is minimal, this aids in giving the pedal better feel.
I get all that but all drivers are different, and like different things. I've had the EVO for 10 years now and just wanted a change. It's very easy to go back if I don't like it but I'm not willing to give up ABS.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:47 AM
EvoM Guru

I've never talked to a race car driver about wanting a softer brake pedal....lol
Old Oct 25, 2016, 03:02 PM
Evolving Member

I've never talked to a race car driver about wanting a softer brake pedal....lol
A "Soft Brake Pedal" while racing is bad because it means you have boiled your fluid. A pedal "Going Soft" is bad. Initial pedal effort is irrelevant to stopping power over time.

The S2000 brakes are a perfect example. They are great, offer great feel and feedback, and in my opinion are much more confidence inspiring because the effort doesn't go up as quickly as the EVO. The effort does increase but it's more linear. The EVO gets hard fast when you get past normal driving. I really have to stand on it to get into ABS and not only is it distracting it's also physically more awkward standing on the brakes to get full braking force.

Again, I am not looking for a bunch of "hardcore racer" answers, just if there is a master cylinder available or not.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 09:18 AM
EvoM Guru

There isn't.

What stop tech pads do you have? In my experience, the stoptech street performance pads aren't that great.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Yes there are other master cylinder options.

Hint: The Lancer comes in different trim levels...

Quick Reply: Is there a smaller abs compatible brake master cylinder?