Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

AMS Brake Duct Install Fail

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 04:35 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by V.8MR
I mean you paid a shop 300 bucks to do the DIY job it is, for you. That 300 could have been pads or some other consumable you will eventually need. If you actually need brake ducts, you better get familiar with your brakes because you will be rebuilding them.

I wish you luck but I dont see the shop taking responsibility here. Its a racing part, and the tubes are wear items.
Originally Posted by barneyb
I'm surprised those hoses went 7K rubbing on anything or not. It looks to me like something that should be installed the morning of track day and pulled before hitting the road home.

I agree w/you guys. This is an offroad modification w/a very limited warranty envelope
Old Apr 6, 2017, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
first i've heard of such a thing. never seen any of the track ****** and car experts on here (not to mention the performance shop) say anything of the sort
Old Apr 6, 2017, 05:25 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 724 Likes on 566 Posts
Seems like you're just looking for people to agree with you and no listen to the guys who actually do spend time on track. Those are wear items and relatively cheap ones at that. Sounds like you don't actually spend enough time on track to really need them anyways. So why not just remove them and not worry about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dallas J:
dr_latino999 (Apr 8, 2017), evil.evo (Apr 10, 2017)
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:27 PM
Evolved Member

seems like you're just making lame excuses for an obviously ****ty install, so why not just paypal me the $300.00 I wasted on it since pissing away hard-earned money for dog**** is apparently just dandy for you.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 10:49 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I think people with experience are telling you that hose wears through anyways. It's a wear item, it doesn't last long no matter how it's installed.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 01:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Just let him bang on his keyboard.

Eventually he will realize the truth.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

I guess the truth is that when we pay experts to install things for us we should expect them to do a substandard job of it, and have them wear out twice as fast as they needed to because we're all so hard-core and paid, dammit.

Old Apr 8, 2017, 01:23 PM
Evolving Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
have them wear out twice as fast as they needed to
Don't you see the actual track rats coming to the conclusion that lasting 8K miles is basically a stroke of luck?
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

nope... nobody mentioned luck, and it wasn't luck that sawed right through that duct, on only one side.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
Yeah those are wear and tear items not worth chasing the shop over especially if the shop isn't familiar with installing these on cars that actually will see serious usage (average car that comes in many of these performance shops has a lot of parts but might only get mild abuse at best).

If you are serious about this type of stuff you need to inspect the car a fair amount of time which would have caught this before 8K IMO. This is the reason why even though I've had similar nozzles I haven't looked to find hose material since I couldn't find any good place to run the hose that won't hit something when being abused.

Lastly, it ends up costing you more than $300 to chase them for $300. Even if you just have to spend time calling them, going into the shop, writing it up online etc. etc. that's time you could be doing something else and time is money. You learnt that if you need them to do work like this again you either need to check up on it right after or find another shop to do the work.