Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Lower Brake Pedal Effort

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2017, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower Brake Pedal Effort

OK, I've posted about this before but now that I've done a track day I really want to find a better solution.

The pedal effort is just too high for my taste. I've got stainless lines, upgraded pads, and motul brake fluid.

Here is a list of cars I've driven recently: NB Miata, 99 CRV, '16 Mazda 6, Fiesta ST.

All of those cars have probably less than half the pedal effort that my EVO has. I've hooked up a hand vacuum pump to my booster and it holds vacuum. When you press the pedal and start the car it drops some. I don't *think* my master cylinder is bad. I do have cams so there is less vacuum.

Some comments about initial bite for the pads was in my previous thread but even under all out track braking the effort is just so much higher than the other cars I've driven.

I'm considering calling Wilwood and asking about a custom master cylinder at this point. Custom lines to the ABS module don't seem so crazy if it really makes the brakes how I want them.

Is there anything else I'm not thinking about? I thought it was just me until I watched the Zygrene review where he mentions it also.

Old Apr 18, 2017, 04:09 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
I would say my pedal feel is athletic / stiff

This could just be perception w/your issue & really nothing wrong at all
Old Apr 19, 2017, 05:14 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ya, I don't think anything is broken at this point. Just curious if anyone else has done anything about it.
Old Apr 19, 2017, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Every evo I've driven has a very stiff pedal. I happen to love it as it allows me to really modulate the brake. With a good set of pads even though the pedal is stiff its quite linear. If I need to brake hard I push hard. Personally I cant stand brakes on most cars where there is a dead spot and then all of a sudden there is a ton of braking power. Its not like the brakes dont have any power to them; it just take a little more force to get it to brake hard.

I've seen people comment on this in the past and Im sure you could look into buying a larger MC (or maybe smaller I forget how that works from a mechanical advantage perspective) or look into a new pedal box or something fancy like that.

Just curious, I havent read though your other threads but which pads are you currently using? I dont feel pedal effort will really change but different pads have much different feel so maybe you need something with more initial bite or a higher coefficient of friction to yield more stopping power which in turn means you shouldnt have to push the brake pedal as hard. The pedal will still remain stiff however...
Old Apr 19, 2017, 09:56 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
Smaller MC would decrease pedal effort. Would also increase travel.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 03:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
Smaller MC would decrease pedal effort. Would also increase travel.

You could get an electronic vacuum pump for the booster... vacuum the **** out of it to increase the boost assist.

The easiest way to do it is find a booster which has a higher ratio, however, actually knowing the ratio is going to be tough.... but likely starting with a base lancer or other similar variation Mits outlander could be good start.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Well I have been ranting about this forever and just gave up and bought a BBK problem solved.