Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Strut replacement, shop recommendation for assembly?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2017, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strut replacement, shop recommendation for assembly?

Hey everyone,

I am currently replacing all of the struts, springs and mounting hardware on my Evo IX. As wanting to stay OEM, all parts are being ordered through my local dealership.

Unfortunately, Mitsubishi does not offer a fully assembled strut. That being said, I have all the parts required, just need to have the strut assembled.

Can anyone recommend a performance shop that would be able to assemble my new struts correctly?

Perhaps someone knows a particular technician in a dealership that comes highly recommend with Evos?

I am currently located in Phoenix, AZ. Anywhere with 100 miles would be absolutely perfect!

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old Jun 28, 2017, 04:19 AM

Honestly, any auto shop should be able to instal struts. Being an Evo doesn't make the job anymore difficult or tricky. Just find any shop that has a good reputation.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 06:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
How much assembly are they doing? if it's installing a spring and the top-hats and suspension mounts, then yes any shop can do that

also, what is your total cost on this? I get wanting to stay OE, but just curious as to what other good hardware you could be buying instead..
Old Jul 3, 2017, 03:03 PM

Thanks for all for the replies, I appreciate it very much.

As far as total cost, I'm looking to stay under $1,200.00.

I couldn't be happier with the OEM units, they provide the perfect mix of handling and cornering that I’m looking for. As far as replacement goes, all four corners are being replaced as a preventative maintenance measure.

In your opinion, would taking the struts to be a Mitsubishi dealership to be assembled be advised? I have all of the necessary tools and space to install the complete struts, just looking for a facility to assemble them.

Cheers!

Last edited by EvolutionRacing; Jul 3, 2017 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Spelling error.
Old Jul 3, 2017, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
What kind of assembly are you referring to? If you mean putting the springs, top mounts, etc on the struts/shocks, you could likely do that yourself if you're already planning on installing them yourself anyways.
Old Jul 4, 2017, 08:07 PM
Evolved Member

Are you buying the KYB units? Or Bilstein? Because you can't buy the factory Bilsteins so hopefully that's not what's being advertised to you
Old Jul 5, 2017, 04:51 PM

I will be purchasing the OEM KYB units as I have an Evolution IX, not the MR which ran the Bilstein's.

Still can't get over how I can purchase all the separate parts of the completed strut but Mitsubishi doesn't offer them fully assembled. Crazy!

Cheers!
Old Jul 6, 2017, 07:22 AM
Evolved Member

Honest question, why are you spending that much money on the struts? Do you want to stay OE that badly? The KYB are not good struts. They're perfectly acceptable, but far from great.

I'm assuming the parts in your signature are on the car you drive, therefore it's not a stock car. Why not go with something that will ride a lot better?
Old Jul 6, 2017, 09:28 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I feel like you could get aftermarket bilstiens that will ride better for the money. The oem KYB's are pretty harsh from what I remember.

However, I do just so happen to have a complete set of OEM KYB's with springs and top mounts fully assembled. I pulled them off my car when it had ~15k miles on it. I'll make you a sweet heart deal on them.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
I feel like you could get aftermarket bilstiens that will ride better for the money. The oem KYB's are pretty harsh from what I remember.

However, I do just so happen to have a complete set of OEM KYB's with springs and top mounts fully assembled. I pulled them off my car when it had ~15k miles on it. I'll make you a sweet heart deal on them.
Do it. Do it. Do it.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 11:23 PM
Evolved Member

Received 77 Likes on 52 Posts
I have nice OEM Bilsteins off a IX MR I'll sell you for half off what the dealer wants for new KYB's. $600 and they're yours. I'm located in AZ. These have stock springs and the struts have never been lowered. Bolt them in and go! Skip the KYB - there is no comparison to the Bilsteins!
Old Jul 7, 2017, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

KYB's seem to freeze upon hitting a sudden bump in the road requiring the tires to absorb the shock. This makes for a harsh ride. Also, over time they break, I've broken two. However, they also freeze in a sudden transit, making the car very throwable. I remember the car mags testing the GSR vs the MR and finding the GSR was faster around cones.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 03:16 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
KYB's seem to freeze upon hitting a sudden bump in the road requiring the tires to absorb the shock. This makes for a harsh ride. Also, over time they break, I've broken two. However, they also freeze in a sudden transit, making the car very throwable. I remember the car mags testing the GSR vs the MR and finding the GSR was faster around cones.
I don't remember car mags saying the GSR was faster. In fact I remember them specifically saying the MR was faster due to the Bilsteins. Quick google search confirmed this.

Old Jul 7, 2017, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

When a car company has flown you across country and put you up like a movie star, you had better at least come up with the car being a hair quicker.
Old Jul 7, 2017, 07:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
When a car company has flown you across country and put you up like a movie star, you had better at least come up with the car being a hair quicker.
First and only article I bothered to read today and it backed up what I had always heard - the MR was faster around corners due to Bilsteins. If you have proof of what you said about KYB struts making cars faster vs cars with Bilsteins, please post up.

Quick Reply: Strut replacement, shop recommendation for assembly?