Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Goodridge front brake line too short

Old Jul 8, 2017, 03:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 128 Likes on 96 Posts
Goodridge front brake line too short

This is the latest revision of the Goodridge front brake line with the wheel turned full lock and suspension fully extended. Sure seems to me that at full lock with the suspension fully compressed that there would be too much angle on the line. As far as I can tell the Goodridge line is maybe 1/2" longer than stock, but the fittings on the end are somewhat longer and cause effective loss of length.

Any opinions/experience on whether this is too short?

Attached Thumbnails Goodridge front brake line too short-brake-line-goodridge-front-web.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Lightsaber (Jul 8, 2023)
Old Jul 8, 2017, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
The bend at the fender liner mounting makes me a little nervous. I wonder if the bracket could be angled a little towards the strut.
Old Jul 10, 2017, 10:27 PM
EvoM Guru

I have decided that this is problematically too short even for a completely stock suspension. While I doubt that the lines could get ripped off under normal driving, my guess is that fatigue failure of the hose will take place at the hose-end connection much more quickly than a brake line with more hose length. When I showed this photo to Goodridge, there was initial interest to understand the issue, but management told the person helping me to advise me that Goodridge only makes lines for OEM fitment, and if I didn't feel comfortable using these, then I should take them off the car. So I guess they'll be coming off.

There's a happy ending though. I decided to contact Techna-fit, and they said that their lines are longer than stock to prevent this kind of issue, and they are also willing to make a custom set for me to deal with lowered cars where additional brake line length is beneficial to prevent fatigue. So I've got a custom set in production now. Same price as their standard brake line kit. Very cool.

Last edited by mrfred; Jul 11, 2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 01:28 AM
Evolving Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Thanks for being thorough with this, I'm going to take a closer look and think it over.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 08:13 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by mrfred
There's a happy ending though. I decided to contact Techna-fit, and they said that their lines are longer than stock to prevent this kind of issue, and they are also willing to make a custom set for me to deal with lowered cars where additional brake line length is beneficial to prevent fatigue. So I've got a custom set in production now. Same price as their standard brake line kit. Very cool.
I've been planning on going with Techna-fit lines for a while, cool to know they'll do custom lengths for no additional cost.

How much longer are you going?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 08:59 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc
I've been planning on going with Techna-fit lines for a while, cool to know they'll do custom lengths for no additional cost.

How much longer are you going?
They suggested 3/8" longer than their standard length would be sufficient. But their standard length is already 1/4" longer. It doesn't seem like a big change to me, but I think that part of the issue with the Goodridge lines is the length of the hose-end fittings. Both ends, especially at the caliper end, are longer than stock while the total length of the line appears to be about the same as stock. The fitting at the caliper cannot be bent over like soft line, so it limits how much soft line pull through the anchor on the strut to position between the strut and the car body. If I go with Techna-fit's recommendation, my guess is that the line will effectively be 3/4" longer than the Goodridge. If I do an a2 + b2 = c2 calculation, I find that 3/4" that should give another 3.25" of upward movement of the strut before the hose bend at the connection to the hardline starts looking like it does in my photo.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 09:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 65 Posts
Makes sense.

Does this account for any difference in hose end fitting length between the Goodridge and TF lines (assuming they might be different)?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:12 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
I think my car has goodridge lines. I don't remember noticing this issue. I'll have to look.

I've been wanting to do my brakelines like the Evo X. Hardline from the caliper to the mount on the strut, then soft line to the chassis hard line.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
If there is a hardline from the caliper to the mount on the strut then what do you do when you want to replace rotors as you'd have to pull off the caliper?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 10:53 AM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by heel2toe
If there is a hardline from the caliper to the mount on the strut then what do you do when you want to replace rotors as you'd have to pull off the caliper?
Unbolt the mount from the strut.
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
Oh duh and then you have play from he flexible portion then I suppose. Gotcha. So what is the benefit? Guessing you dont have that stupid bracket that likes to rub the inner fender well when you run a decent amount of neg camber?
Old Jul 11, 2017, 11:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Yeah, you can make that bracket more low profile, or relocate it entirely.
Old Jul 17, 2017, 01:30 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
Flip the bracket on the back of the shock. Its sandwiched between 2 hex bolts I think. I had the same issue as far as inner fender clearance and found that flipping it solved the issue. As far as being too short, I used to have goodrige lines and didnt have this problem but my old buddy club coil-overs didnt have a line mount...

Old Jul 17, 2017, 01:36 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 223 Likes on 155 Posts
By the way, who makes those spring/perch sleeves?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 02:52 PM
EvoM Guru

Originally Posted by V.8MR
Flip the bracket on the back of the shock. Its sandwiched between 2 hex bolts I think. I had the same issue as far as inner fender clearance and found that flipping it solved the issue. As far as being too short, I used to have goodrige lines and didnt have this problem but my old buddy club coil-overs didnt have a line mount...

There are indications of the midpoint brake line hanger scraping the body, but its never happened that I can hear while driving. It may have happened during initial setup. It seems to me that flipping the hanger as you show would make an more tortuous path for the brake line.

Originally Posted by V.8MR
By the way, who makes those spring/perch sleeves?
Those are Eibach spring bags. Part number is Eibach (ESB10.250) 2.5" x 10" Spring Bag. I got 10" bags to cover the coilover threads somewhat.

The work well for the front, but not so well for the rear. At the rear, there is no place for the elastic band to go at the top of the coilover, so I had to cut the elastic off the top, and then the velcro needs to be re-sewn.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goodridge front brake line too short