Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Latest knocking sound

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2017, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Latest knocking sound

So then, I've long had a knocking noise coming from the front of the 6 and it's just got a whole lot louder.
I started back along with replacing top mounts with ralliart items thinking this could be the cause... it wasn't. I then replaced ball joints for genuine and also the drop links and track rod ends. The knocking was still there... now I had 2 things on my mind, either the dreaded diff bolt failure, or worn shocks.
This evening I had access to a pit at work so stripped the shocks from the front and went about breaking them down to regrease the inner body, no issues here, reassembled both fine and fitted to the car. However , a quick spin up through the yard soon drained any hope I had for curing the knock.
The front end now sits tractor high and there are more louder knocks and bangs than what there ever has been previously. The ride is super stiff and there is no sign of anything settling.
I made sure at the time of reassembly the springs were all seated correct, the top cup was positioned as it should be and that everything was wound up tight enough to eliminate any looseness.
Now my question is what could I have done wrong?
How has this evening made it this much worse?
I have another day off tomorrow before heading away for the week again and if like to get to the bottom of it if possible so any help here would be massively appreciated.
Old Jul 15, 2017, 05:12 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Are you on the stock struts & springs? (not coilovers?)

If so, how many KM on those struts? Sounds like the strut is locked up?

Let us know!
Old Jul 16, 2017, 12:54 AM

Totally stock setup man, sorry forgot to mention! Just clocked 100k km's last week. Since then this has happened and my AYC light has been on and off. I'm gutted.
Once apart the gas struts themselves were moving out freely when compressed, no juddering...just a smooth slow movement as they should. The only thing I have done is added the grease to the inner shock body, everything else remains the same.

It's almost like there is air trapped in there, when rocking the car backwards and forwards on the throttle and brakes there is halrdly any movement on the front end.
Old Jul 16, 2017, 05:48 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Well, Im not sure whats going on & hate to suggest spending more money on new struts, unless you know exactly what the issue is

But, maybe its time to consider replacing all 4 struts?
Old Jul 16, 2017, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
A stock shock in the US is a KYB. Is that what is on your car?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 06:06 AM

Yes the gas insert itself is a KYB.
It would appear I packed a little too much grease into the shock body, i spent the afternoon yesterday stripping both sides again and removed as much as I thought I could get away with, reassembled them amd fitted to the car. The ride height is pretty much stock again and the ride is smooth with no knocks coming from the struts. Result!
But I can't see how the amount of grease in the body would affect the shock movement itself when all you are doing is coating the outside?
Old Jul 17, 2017, 06:30 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Turbojoe89
But I can't see how the amount of grease in the body would affect the shock movement itself when all you are doing is coating the outside?
It appears to have created a locked-up, hydraulic issue!!! (even raising your ride height)
Old Jul 17, 2017, 10:10 AM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I had a front KYB get stiff. I first noticed it in winter when the streets were glaciers with holes and the front thumping like a shock was very stiff. On better roads and warmer days the shock made a groaning noise. I found the culprit by bouncing the car while feeling the spring.

BTW, I never heard of greasing these things.

Called KYB and asked what was going on and they said your shock is broken internally. I replaced it and fixed.

Last edited by barneyb; Jul 17, 2017 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jul 18, 2017, 03:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by barneyb
I had a front KYB get stiff. I first noticed it in winter when the streets were glaciers with holes and the front thumping like a shock was very stiff. On better roads and warmer days the shock made a groaning noise. I found the culprit by bouncing the car while feeling the spring.

BTW, I never heard of greasing these things.

Called KYB and asked what was going on and they said your shock is broken internally. I replaced it and fixed.
Sounds like the Evo 6 came with struts that had inserts or aftermarket struts had replaceable inserts much like the earlier struts for Nissan etc.
Unscrew the top retaining collar and pull out the innards of the strut. Drain strut well of oil. then slide in the aftermarket insert and screw down the retaining collar. Install spring and top hat and install into car. IIRc the instruction for those type of struts said to lightly grease the strut insert when installing.
Some struts were also rebuildable. pistons etc You could also replace the shock oil with something heavier for instance. IIRC that went bye bye in the early 90's though.

Milburn