Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

OEM KYB Strut Assembly?

Old Jul 25, 2017, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OEM KYB Strut Assembly?

Hey everyone,

Looking for some insight for some fellow members.

I recently purchased a new set of OEM KYB front struts for my Evolution IX.

Since Mitsubishi does not sell a completely assembled strut, I found out that my local dealership will assemble both of my front struts for $130.

Before, I take the struts in to be assembled, does anyone have some insight on how to keep the strut piston from turning while I am tightening the main locking nut that holds everything together?

Per Mitsubishi, two special "dealership only" tools are required to assemble the strut.

Any ideas for someone who has done this before? I don't want to use an impact gun and relay on "snapping" the bolt into place. The manual specifically say to keep the piston still to avoid damaging the internal seal.

Cheers!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 07:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 79 Posts
If you're having the local Mitsubishi dealership assemble these, why are you trying to partially assemble them yourself?

I put springs on the KYB's way back before I got rid of them, I had no special tools and did the job fine so I'm not sure what they're referring to
Old Jul 26, 2017, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
An impact wrench will do the job. But don't do it too much or you will damage the shaft around where the nut goes. Once you have that nut torqued down some you can use regular socket to tighten it down to whatever torque specs you require.