Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Temporarily halting brake fluid

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 08:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Temporarily halting brake fluid

Alright this is "it's cold outside and Im being lazy thread"
So I'm replacing my rotors and unfortunately one of the rotors isnt bleeding on one side. Now i have to take it off and replace it.

​​​​​​Is there a way to plug the brake fluid line for the time being or I will need to bleed the whole system again?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 08:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 126 Likes on 121 Posts
I would try to use a clamp like this to temporarily block off the line.
Amazon Amazon

If you work quickly clamp the line, unbolt the banjo and have the other caliper ready and waiting you should be able to bolt the line to the new caliper without really losing much fluid at all. At the very least that caliper will need to be bled but might not be a bad idea to go around and rebleed every one again to be sure. Whatever you do do not let the reservoir go dry of youll be re bleeding for a while. If you work quickly you should be able to pop on the new one and rebleed in like 10 minutes.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 08:58 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
You can buy brake line caps at an auto parts store. Usually you can get away with bleeding just the corner you removed the caliper from if you don't lose too much fluid. I would still bleed the corresponding opposite caliper though. On the Evo, they are paired LF-RR, RF-LR.