Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

Loud squeal driver's side front when braking at low speed with moderate pressure

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 06:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Loud squeal driver's side front when braking at low speed with moderate pressure

I replaced my brakes about 1.5 months ago with ROTORPROS premium rotors and Stoptech pads. I applied anti-sieze to the back of the shims and bedded the brakes (although I'm not sure I did a great job bedding them...). I also applied ultra copper to the edges of the pads where the clips touch.

The driver's side front was still squeaking like hell, so this weekend I applied brake quiet to the back of the shims and re-bed the brakes. I think I did a good job bedding them this time because the pedal feel was a lot better and the bite of the brakes was better, but the obnoxious sqeak is still there. The one thing I didn't do is sand down the rotors to remove any left over residue..

The one thing I did notice this weekend is I have some bubbling on dust boots of my brembos, but the driver's side seems to have the worst bubbling..

Does anyone have any ideas for my next steps. Please check out my videos below to see just how loud the squeal really is...

The first is tonight and I think the squeal actually might be louder after applying the brake quiet...

Old Nov 13, 2017, 07:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
The first question I always ask w/a brake squeak report is: Are you using the angled OEM brake shims front & rear?

If not, put them on

Old Nov 13, 2017, 08:46 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
The first question I always ask w/a brake squeak report is: Are you using the angled OEM brake shims front & rear?

If not, put them on

Nope, I think I lost them... I'm just confused as to why the brakes didn't squeal the first time I changed my pads, despite me not using the OEM shins...

So I guess I should buy these? https://www.lancershop.com/customer/...productid=1425

Do you run the OEM shims on top of the pad shims? Do you do anything else special?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Use the same setup as the OEM shims
Old Nov 14, 2017, 06:45 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Kreeker
Nope, I think I lost them... I'm just confused as to why the brakes didn't squeal the first time I changed my pads, despite me not using the OEM shins...
So I guess I should buy these?

Do you run the OEM shims on top of the pad shims? Do you do anything else special?
Its very possible the squealing is due to not running the OEM shims. I had a similar issue & when I went back to the angled OEM shim the train squealing stopped.

It has something to do w/the angle & how is pressures the pad. And, yes, I just ran the OEM & ditched what ever shims the pads came with

And as far as the blistered seals, my good guess is that they should be replaced at some point

Old Nov 14, 2017, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Its very possible the squealing is due to not running the OEM shims. I had a similar issue & when I went back to the angled OEM shim the train squealing stopped.

It has something to do w/the angle & how is pressures the pad. And, yes, I just ran the OEM & ditched what ever shims the pads came with

And as far as the blistered seals, my good guess is that they should be replaced at some point

Do you apply something between the shim and the pad? Brake lube? What about between the shim and rotor?

Do you have any experience with replacing the dust boots? Is it something that can be done without taking the calipers apart?

At this point I'm willing to try anything, because this squeal is seriously affecting how I drive the car.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 07:00 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Kreeker
Do you apply something between the shim and the pad? Brake lube? What about between the shim and rotor?

Do you have any experience with replacing the dust boots? Is it something that can be done without taking the calipers apart?

At this point I'm willing to try anything, because this squeal is seriously affecting how I drive the car.
I used to use the brake lube, but after tracking the car, the lube would burn LOL

I just run my brakes dry & use Stop Tech pads on the street w/Centric rotors with the OEM shims Front / Rear. No squeaks

Never replaced my boots yet. Im sure you would have to pull the caliper off but dont think you need to split the caliper in 1/2
Old Nov 14, 2017, 09:15 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,543 Likes on 1,322 Posts
OEM shims for sure.

And then it looks like the calipers could use fresh seals and dust boots. This is not the cause of your squeak, but theyre not too expensive and its easy to do. Rebuild kits for all 4 calipers are $150 from girodisc.

http://www.girodisc.com/Seals-Fluids_c_599.html
Old Nov 14, 2017, 10:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
what is it about the oem shims that eliminates squeal?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 01:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by letsgetthisdone
OEM shims for sure.

And then it looks like the calipers could use fresh seals and dust boots. This is not the cause of your squeak, but theyre not too expensive and its easy to do. Rebuild kits for all 4 calipers are $150 from girodisc.

http://www.girodisc.com/Seals-Fluids_c_599.html
Say I didn't want to do the full rebuild now... Is it possible to change to change the dust boots without taking the calipers off the car?

Originally Posted by kyoo
I would too like to know...

From the posts I've been coming across, people are referring to the OEM shim as "fiber" which makes me think it's a different material than the normal metal other shims are made of???

That being said, does anyone know where to buy these shims?
Old Nov 14, 2017, 01:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I don't envision Brembo engineers in white lab coats bending over computers analysing this problem. What I see in my mind's eye is a couple of grunts, a test rig, and a pair of tin snips.

Just about every pad maker glues a fiber shim to their product. The OEM shim is metal.

The dust shield is bubbled due to heat. The car has been to the track. If the dust shield has no holes I don't see any reason to change it now. If is, after all, only a dust shield.

Last edited by barneyb; Nov 14, 2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 233 Likes on 209 Posts
perhaps it absorbs the vibration somehow
Old Nov 14, 2017, 02:08 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

From what I remember, it has to do with how the pad makes its initial contact (bite) into the rotor

All i know is that I did not use them on the rears & my brakes howled like a train. As soon as I installed the OEM shim, the squeal was gone
Old Nov 14, 2017, 04:27 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
LOL i have the shims but have been too lazy to put them in. they re still squealing but i have gotten used to it. maybe soon ill put them on. next weekend maybe?
Old Nov 15, 2017, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Bhsj13
LOL i have the shims but have been too lazy to put them in. they re still squealing but i have gotten used to it. maybe soon ill put them on. next weekend maybe?
Did you buy them? If so, where? I cannot find the brembo shims anywhere...

I've come across GIRODISC ANTI-NOISE PAD SHIMS, but can't find much information about them... http://www.streettunedmotorsports.co..._pad_shims.htm

What about cleaning the inside of the calipers? What do you guys use? I just used a brush.

Quick Reply: Loud squeal driver's side front when braking at low speed with moderate pressure