Notices
Evo Tires / Wheels / Brakes / Suspension Discuss everything that helps make your car start and stop to the best of it's abilities.

SLVRNBLK's - Project MJ build - Part #4 "Suspension"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2018, 03:47 PM
Evolved Member

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts
Thumbs up SLVRNBLK's - Project MJ build - Part #4 "Suspension"

Update:

Last time I checked-in with Project MJ was April of 2016 when I posted the Part #3 "Turbo" thread. The car has been running great and I'm really liking the new set-up. The final piece of the puzzle for Project MJ was addressing the suspension. My black Evo ran a set of KW's, however I couldn't justify the funds for those units again so I looked for a set of coilovers that were a bit more affordable. My search lead me to a local company here in SoCal called FEAL. These units are reasonably priced and build quality is very impressive. With my car being primarily a street car, this was a perfect match. At that time I also came across Gilbert Flores of Evolved Auto Garage (EAG). Gilbert who is an Evo owner himself, is a suspension wizard and has set-up many Evo's turning quick lap times all over SoCal. Gilbert was able to custom valve my units, instal, corner balance, and align to my specific set-up. There is so much involved in setting up a proper suspension, it's not just slapping a set of coilovers on and your done. Gilbert uses his years of suspension knowledge and it pays dividends. Thanks Gilbert and Brett!

Once again Project MJ has flourished with the continued support of all those involved throughout the past five years. I just want to personally thank everyone, you know who you are! I've reached a point now where I'm pretty much DONE with the project. Next will be taking care of a few minor details and keeping my tuning options open like the FiTronic system.

Thanks for reading, here is a quick rundown of the upgraded parts:
FEAL 441 Coilover's (custom valving by Gilbert of EAG)
Kansai rear strut bar
Whitleline 24mm rear sway bar
Whiteline rear sway bar end-links
Whiteline rear trailing arm bushings
Whiteline rear bump steer correction kit
Whiteline front center roll kit
Corner balancing - EAG
Alignment - EAG

A few pics, enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
Is2scooby (Apr 10, 2018)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 06:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Grew up w/Gilbert when he was at Mueller. He did my fender clearancing

He also installed my FA Coilovers at Massimo

Really like what you have done here Oz, w/the suspension & powertrain build

Well done
SLVRNBLK (Jan 22, 2018)
Old Jan 22, 2018, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by MinusPrevious
Grew up w/Gilbert when he was at Mueller. He did my fender clearancing

He also installed my FA Coilovers at Massimo

Really like what you have done here Oz, w/the suspension & powertrain build

Well done
Thanks amigo, really appreciate it
MinusPrevious (Jan 23, 2018)
Old Jan 23, 2018, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Cool setup, we almost have the same exact suspension stuff done except I have Fortune Coilovers. I might be wrong, but I believe you need front end links to get the corner balance all good. If I remember correctly the end links need to be disconnected when corner balancing and then you attach them back on so there is no preload. With the front end links not being adjustable, you would have preload on the bar then.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
Cool setup, we almost have the same exact suspension stuff done except I have Fortune Coilovers. I might be wrong, but I believe you need front end links to get the corner balance all good. If I remember correctly the end links need to be disconnected when corner balancing and then you attach them back on so there is no preload. With the front end links not being adjustable, you would have preload on the bar then.

I have never heard thi, who told you that?
Old Jan 23, 2018, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by FI>NA
I have never heard thi, who told you that?
The internet and people. Regardless, you can still get corner balanced but it won't be optimal since the front bar will have preload if the ride height is now different. Preload = twisting force on the sway bar = transferring force side-to-side when car is static. Was just nit picking, sure car handles dank anyways.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CaptainSquirts
The internet and people. Regardless, you can still get corner balanced but it won't be optimal since the front bar will have preload if the ride height is now different. Preload = twisting force on the sway bar = transferring force side-to-side when car is static. Was just nit picking, sure car handles dank anyways.
Any links for reference? Tryna get informed here. I am getting corner balanced soon.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 10:28 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 1,384 Likes on 1,317 Posts
Originally Posted by FI>NA
Any links for reference? Tryna get informed here. I am getting corner balanced soon.
FWIW: I run 2 WL front sway bar links

Heres a good debate on the topic: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...cs-inside.html
Old Jan 23, 2018, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

I just talked to gilbert about it. Said its a waste of money. Ill wait until mine need to be replaced due to wear or clearances. Ill read up tho. I thought people mostly replaced them because of wear. I have dealt with 4 suspension tuner shops for the evo none have recommended doing endlinks. Robispec, rre, mueller, and gilbert at evolved.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 07:46 PM
Evolved Member

I've been told NOT to touch the front sway-bar or the front end. If there was a need to upgrade the front end-links Gilbert would have suggested it as I asked him what else I can do to complete the suspension.